Dominican Art

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am looking into investing into some Dominican paintings. Who are the most renouned artists? Does anyone know where the best galaries are? Is there any info on the web about Dominican artists? I am also concerned about buying fakes. How can I prevent this?
Thanks in advance..

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Check out Enriquillo Amiama Rodriguez's works. He is a Dominican painter of note who's works sell well. He lives in Santo Domingo and also teaches art. He has a website at www.amiama.com and some of his works may be seen there.

Another artist worth looking into is Alberto Garcia Watson. He also lives in Santo Domingo and if you wish to contact him, I have his email address.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I would go to the Artists themselves.

C?ndido Bid?, Guillo P?rez are two of the most expensive.

Jacinto Dominguez is well liked.

If you talk to the people in the Casa de Arte in Santiago, they can steer you in the right direction.

Generally speaking, the artists get screwed by the Galaries.

good hunting...

HB

Last edited:

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Domican Art

Look also for some old ones Like Poncio Salsedo, who design and directed the Cathedral in Moca. I like his styles. He did modern, held several Metropolican shows in NYC. He died about ten Years ago. You can find his Wife somewhere in DR. She moved back. Her Name is Prisca Cutierrez Vda Salcedo. She is my mother causin. I saw the church in early construction, I live in California .
In the capital Santo Domingo walk in the area Where Juana Salta y Toca?tolpa, you will find a colony of starving artist if they have not bee moved out they where there in the mid- eighties.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Domican Art

Look also for some old ones Like Poncio Salsedo, who design and directed the Cathedral in Moca. I like his styles. He did modern, held several Metropolican shows in NYC. He died about ten Years ago. You can find his Wife somewhere in DR. She moved back. Her Name is Prisca Gutierrez Vda Salcedo. She is my mother causin. I saw the church in early construction, I live in California .
In the capital Santo Domingo walk in the area Where Juana Salta y Toca?tolpa, you will find a colony of starving artist if they have not bee moved out they where there in the mid- eighties.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
For what it's worth, there is an article in this months Caribbean Travel & Life (May) about looking for jewelry and painting. Decent mag, every month or so some type of info on different parts of DR. Beats Conde Nasts once a year articles on Casa de Compo. Anyone else subscribe?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
My advice

1)Do not buy from street vendors
2)Candido Bido and Guillo Perez works are subject to forgeries and are hard to legitimize, unless you buy directly from the artist.Many of these known Dominican artists are over-exposed. If you don't believe me, go to the rotunda park at the end of Sarasota Avenue, right across from La Cadena supermarket and you could buy art created by these artists. These works are presented by the vendor in the ground, exposed to insects and dust. Yet, they would ask you for U.S.$2000 for a piece of junk.
3)Try to buy art from an emerging young artist with credentials, rather than the old guard. The old guard never got anywhere, except DR and even here their works are so commonplace that hardly anyone would pay high prices for them. Jaime Colson is the only artist with international recognition from the old guard, and he was never outstanding in his school and style(Picasso, Leger,Braque), but quality wise he was up there, so his prices could be a bargain.
4)I strongly recommend Carmen Rita Arte Actual, at Avenida Sarasota #20 almost corner Abraham Lincoln, first floor gallery at the Torre Empresarial. This gallery is internationally connected with an entourage of young Dominican avant-garde artists with big potential and with post-modernist styles to match world trends. These are not flamboyan tree, dove and birds, sugar cane field hut and Dominican peasant scene painters. These artists are creative and innovative and their art is excellent for contemporary as well as classic decorative styles. Carmen Rita, the owner, is a well-connected socialite with state-of-the-art international research offices and an impeccable reputation. At very least, ask for her advice.

5)I can also sell you works of art from my art group. However, my painters are Dominican born, but their art is not per se "Dominican art". We specialize in very avant-garde international styles(Minimal, Abstract Expressionism, Conceptual and Post-Modernism). Our pieces are large and expensive. Smaller ones are at least 48". Most are 60" works. Unless you are in the market for very sophisticated pieces, this is not for you. Check my page<Grullon.com> so you can see what I mean.

TW