TZATZIKI SAUCE

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day All,

Today I woke up with a strong desire for Greek food.......I was dreaming of TZATZIKI SAUCE.
Does anyone know of good Greek Restaurant in Santo Domingo or a place where one can purchase TZATZIKI SAUCE?
Also, maybe of a good Thai Restaurant?

Thank you.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Both would be nice have not seen greek or thai here in Santiago but i can make both at home. Is there dill in the DR?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Greek, Thai and IndoPak restaurants have never been popular here and the few brave attempts at opening have lasted but a few weeks or months at best.

About the only thing remotely Greek in Santo Domingo these days is Stavrou's truck in the parking lot of the little Bon Marche supermarket on the north side of Sarasota between Dr. Defillo and Nunez de Caceres, which has some authentic style menu items. Nothing spectacular but worth a try......Απολαύστε το γεύμα σας!!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
HOW TO MAKE TZATZIKI AS PER JAMIE OLIVER

Serves 4 to 6 as a starter

½ a large cucumber
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons quality extra virgin olive oil
1 x 500g tub of strained Greek yoghurt
1 small bunch of fresh dill
a few sprigs of fresh mint
1 lemon
optional: 1 teaspoon dried mint

1. Slice the cucumber in half lengthways and cut or scrape out the seeds – this is where most of the water content is. Grate the remaining cucumber.

2. Place the grated cucumber in a sieve, rest it on a bowl and add some sea salt. Give it a stir, and leave to drain for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge. Stir now and again, helping it along by pushing the liquid out with a spoon.

3. In the meantime, peel and finely grate or crush the garlic, then combine with the oil in a large bowl. You can allow this to sit for a few hours to mellow out the pungency, but it’s not essential.

4. When most of the liquid has drained from the grated cucumber, spread it out over a tea towel and pat dry. Combine with the garlic mixture, then stir through the yogurt until evenly distributed.

5. Finely chop the dill and mint leaves, then fold through the yogurt mixture along with a squeeze of lemon juice and the dried mint (if using). Season with salt to taste.

6. Serve with warm pita or Turkish bread and crudités, or alongside salad and grilled meats

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
SALting the cucumber is crucial. Don’t overlook this step. It makes it softer and sweeter. Squeeze out the excess liquid. Also, you can strain regular yogurt through an cheesecloth to get Greek style. Or you can just break a tub of yogurt with a fork, put it back in the fridge the pour off the whey liquid. Hint, use for homemade pita bread. Super easy to make. 

Limes vs lemons.  You are on your own.  To me they are not interchangeable. 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
There are many faults we accumulate in life.
One of my many is ''good Good Food''.
LOve Greek sauces and salads.

LOve food!

WE all deserve the best and it helps when we have to make our own. Much healthier and tasteful.

Thanks for encouragement.
Russ