Maximum import of goods

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay and Amazon and have it shipped by JetPack.

Today they wanted a copy of my cedula for customs....

Last year there was some talk about a law that you can buy for a maximum of US$ 2,000 per year without having to pay import-duties. (all my items are every time under the US$ 200)

What about this law? Has it been approved?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's not as law but a policy proposed by Aduanas.

There was a proposed limit on the total value of goods imported each year without tax and an upper limit on the number of shipments received regardless of the combined value. Either or could come into play.

Your cedula is being provided at the request of and to the tax people so that your activity may be tracked using both of the above mentioned criteria.

I have not heard of anyone having problems because they have reached either of those limits and I have also not heard of anyone who has surpassed those without a problem. I cannot even say with any degree of certainty that the limits have been implemented. Your courier is just responding to the direction issued to them by Aduanas to provide a cedula for all of their customers who have inbound shipments.

I would assume those that do not have a cedula are required to submit their passport info - which would make for an interesting discussion (if anyone chose to start it) why a visitor needs to import goods tax free?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I buy well over that amount every year with Vimenpaq. There was never anything like that (yet).

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Likewise I import around $5-600 per month sometimes much more via Vimenpaq and have never been asked to provide my cedula information.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
couple this with the 8 appliance per container rule... new too.

and you might have new policies at the Aduana

Feb 7, 2007
Even if true, come on, like it's hard to open up multiple accounts under name of people who sell plátanos from the trucks and who have never heard of Amazon or eBay, gifting them 500 pesos... Come on. This is a non issue.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I'd be interested in having Amazon purchases shipped to Santo Domingo. How is this done?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just had a similar conversation today

My mechanic paid an exorbitant amount the aduana for my new radio - 40-50%
I ahd him call my mudanza....$$ was 1/2 that

These OTC import guys are $$$

Stick with the mudanzas... I say

I use Aeropost for small/tiny light weight things ONLY