aeromar airlines

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
Hi everyone! Going to DR in June for two weeks to meet husbands family for first time. Got a good deal on Aeromar Airlines. Problem is I have never heard of them before. I know they are a Dominican airline and just wanted to know if anyone has ever travelled with them before and if so, how was the experience? Also, i was planning on reserving and paying for a car through travelocity for when we arrive. Is that cheaper than waiting till we get there? Thanks for any input!!

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
samana, thanks for yur reply. I have seen the website though and there really isnt too much info on there. I kinda wanted first hand experience. Opinions and such. Thanks anyway!!!

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Flown Aero Mar twice.

Hi,

I have flown on Aero Mar twice, however, not in the past 16 months. I will explain. (I hope I have no spelling errors in this post)!

Aero mar, to the best of my knowledge is not a "REAL" airline. It is more of a charter. I do not think they own the plane(s) they fly with. The reason I say this is because they always announce some "maintained by such and such air".

On my most recent trip with them, I left my college algebra book in the seat pocket in front of me. I did not bother calling and just figured it was lost for good. When we arrived for our return flight I casualy asked if anyone had found a book. The man went to the back and came out with my book, in the same condition I found it.

Most of the stewards are well polished in their manners and speak clear english. The food was good but always the same, and "dominican" style, such as "la bandera".

I never had a delay of schedule with them. On my last two flights with American I was delayed 7 hours on my departure flight, and on the return flight we were delayed over 10 hours, planed, deplaned, planed, deplaned, and planed again! It was a nightmare of the worst kind. (After deboarding and reboarding, a minute before take-off a lady flipped and wanted off, then the smoke alarm went off and we all had to get off).

I do not like that Aero Mar requests that you confirm your departure reservation 24 hours in advance. In additon, my ticket was the old style with red carbon, and seat assignments were stickers off a grid.

They do have many specials, and I have not had a bad expirence. Would I fly them again, yes. Would I choose to fly another air line such as American as first choice if the price was similar (within 50 dollars), yes, I would choose AA over them.

Sometimes their deal is just too good to pass up, like two for one. I have seven children so when that happens I jump. (Come on kids, off to grandma's!).

Don't forget Aero Mexico is flying to DR from Miami also. (I thought I read that they have a partner ship with Aero Mar, but I may be mistaken).

I hope this has been helpfull!

Tamara

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
aeromar

tamara,
thanks so much for your help. my flight is the middle of june from ny and i paid 283 (each) round trip for 2 adults and my three year old son was 149 round trip. i havent seen anything to beat that price yet! i am reassured that you had a pleasant flight experience and have found some info from others and they also were happy with their flights. i would prefer a "name brand" airline but look at the record they have had lately. not so good. so anyway, i am kinda nervous about flying to begin with (especially since i am in NYC) so anything that can reassure me is good. thank you for your input!!!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
too bad their website doesn't work

I have been trying for a few days now to look at the Aeromar Website to see if I could find any good deals, but it has been down.

I think I'll stick with and American carrier.

If they can't keep the website running imagine what else doesn't work right?

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
"If they can't keep the website running imagine what else doesn't work right?"

AA does a great job maintaining their website, but their planes keep falling from the sky. Hummm...Makes you wonder...

GR

Ray

Jan 7, 2002
Trust Me... FLY AEROMAR

They might not do a good job of maintaining their webpage, but Aeromar is in a transition phase... its only a matter of weeks before Aeromar becomes the most revolutionary Airline the Dominican Republic has ever seen.

Receving both a 757-200 and a 767 Er300 in the next couple of weeks to replace the 727-200adv they currently are using.... Trust me, Aeromar is going to be something else... give it a chance....

This Airline has battled against all odds and has succeeded. However, now with new routes starting May 24, like Pop, STI, and Puerto Rico, Im sure the competition will have a hard time moving them aside...

AEROMAR IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE BUT HIGHER UP...

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Mirage,

It's cheaper to reserve your car from US or Canada. The prices the Dominican's quote you are expensive, sometimes double from booking youself. You are a tourist! From experience not only in the DR but all carribean islands, it cheaper to book from home or through your travel agent than when you get there. Once there, if you decide to keep the car longer, they will usually charge the same book rate per extra days.

I found Alamo gave me the better rates for the DR.

mirage

Apr 15, 2002
aeromar tix

In response to the website not working, I didnt get my tix from their website. I got them through travelocity.com.

In regards to the car rental, my husband is dominican and we are going to bonaoto visit his family. I was wondering if he went to rent a car once we got there if he would gt a better price (not inflated "american tourist" price!) A friend of ours (dominican also) went to visit family a couple of weeks ago and got a good price at a hotel and when i look up the hotel online, the rates are much higher. I probably will end up getting the car from here though just for peace of mind.

Thanks everyone!!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
There has been alot of talk lately...

...about Aeromar. I looked into this airline pretty hard for my last trip to DR. The thing that irked me were the times. You landed in DR around 5PM. And with travel to your destination the whole day was shot plus you had to spend $$ on a hotel that night. American flies early morning and you have the whole day to enjoy yourself. Same with the outbound. 8AM means you have to leave your hotel around 5 if you are staying in the Capital. Another lost hotel night. Good prices yes but two wasted nights with no days. Ill fly American rack up my miles and enjoy DR the day I get there not the day after.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Re: aeromar tix

mirage said:
In response to the website not working, I didnt get my tix from their website. I got them through travelocity.com.

In regards to the car rental, my husband is dominican and we are going to bonaoto visit his family. I was wondering if he went to rent a car once we got there if he would gt a better price (not inflated "american tourist" price!) A friend of ours (dominican also) went to visit family a couple of weeks ago and got a good price at a hotel and when i look up the hotel online, the rates are much higher. I probably will end up getting the car from here though just for peace of mind.

Thanks everyone!!

Why don't you ask the people at National to tell you how their online rates compare to the rates you will get as a walk in? Then you can decide whether you want to rent from abroad or here.

See http://www.dr1.com/national