Confirmed- People being denied entry for overstaying tourist visa

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Attention, depuis décembre 2017, les autorités dominicaines appliquent strictement la règlementation migratoire.

La République dominicaine a décidé de se doter d’une politique migratoire. Dans ce cadre et depuis le mois de décembre 2017, les autorités dominicaines appliquent avec rigueur la loi de 2004 sur la résidence des étrangers.

A- Personnes n’ayant pas respecté les règles concernant les visas lors d’un précédent séjour

Depuis cette date, la Direction Générale de la Migration impose une obligation de visa aux personnes étrangères qui ont au cours d’une précédente visite dépassé le temps de séjour autorisé. Cette obligation de visa s’impose à ces personnes quelle que soit la durée de leur nouvelle visite.

Les Français, en situation irrégulière vis-à-vis de la loi dominicaine, peuvent se présenter dans l’un des bureaux de l’immigration (Saint-Domingue, Puerto Plata, Santiago et Punta Cana) pour exposer leur situation. Ils seront conseillés sur le type de visa qu’ils doivent solliciter auprès du consulat dominicain dans leur pays d’origine.

B- Rappel des règles générales

L’obligation de visa s’applique à toutes les personnes souhaitant séjourner plus de 30 jours consécutifs en République dominicaine. Pour des séjours inférieurs, aucun visa n’est demandé à condition d’avoir respecté ces règles lors du séjour précédent.

Ces visas, de diverses natures (travail, résidence…) sont délivrés par les consulats dominicains. Après l’entrée dans le pays, la Direction Générale de la Migration dominicaine, sur la base de la présentation du visa adéquat, délivre le titre de séjour correspondant.

L’ambassade de France à Saint-Domingue demande à tous les ressortissants français qui souhaitent séjourner plus d’un mois en République dominicaine, de se mettre en règle avec la législation migratoire du pays.
L’ambassade ne pourra pas intervenir auprès des autorités dominicaines pour régulariser une situation migratoire.

Attention since December 2017, the Dominican authorities strictly apply migration regulations.

The Dominican Republic has decided to adopt a migration policy. In this context and since December 2017, the Dominican authorities rigorously apply the law of 2004 on the residence of foreigners.

A- People who did not respect the rules concerning visas during a previous stay

Since that date, the Directorate General of Migration imposes a visa requirement on foreigners who have, during a previous visit, exceeded the authorized stay. This visa requirement applies to these persons regardless of the duration of their new visit.

The French, who are in an irregular situation with regard to Dominican law, can present themselves in one of the immigration offices (Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Santiago and Punta Cana) to explain their situation. They will be advised on the type of visa they must apply to the Dominican consulate in their country of origin.

B- General rules reminder

The visa requirement applies to all persons wishing to stay more than 30 consecutive days in the Dominican Republic. For stays below, no visa is required provided you have complied with these rules during the previous stay.

These visas, of various natures (work, residence ...) are delivered by the Dominican consulates. After entering the country, the Dominican Migration Directorate-General, on the basis of the presentation of the appropriate visa, issues the corresponding residence permit.

The French Embassy in Santo Domingo asks all French nationals wishing to stay more than one month in the Dominican Republic, to comply with the migration legislation of the country.
The embassy can not intervene with the Dominican authorities to regularize a migratory situation.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Yes I can. These are long time clients who come every year for two months. They arrived and when they got to passport control they were told that they had violated the immigration law twice (the last two years) and they were not allowed entry. They were told to speak to the dominican consulate in canada to see their options.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That much about charging overstay fees is a business because they need the money... If they have not come up with something better, that is (the options at the consulate??).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not realize that changes are afoot.

Witness the new appliance rule for incoming containers... limit of 8 per container.

Modernization of traffic fines/records - immigration control - the elimination of paid sponsors for citizenship applications -
Insistence on your residency being in good standing the entire citizenship application process ....

I'm sure there's more

who knows what else has been/will be done?

They're not doing it for entertainment, people.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Can you tell us a bit about yourself --jjp ?

long term clients ??

Sure. I'm the director of a transportation company in Punta Cana. Puerto Rican born to Dominican Parents. These clients rent a house in Cocotal every year for march and april, and then go back home to Canada. We have the contract for quite a few villas and these clients we've transported every year for the past 4 years.

When I'm not in DR1 you can find me either terminal A or B in PUJ Airport. :classic:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wasn't prying...
your explanation will go a long way to giving credibility to your comments.

Sounds like first hand information to me.

Fr/Cdns or French - the people??

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes I can. These are long time clients who come every year for two months. They arrived and when they got to passport control they were told that they had violated the immigration law twice (the last two years) and they were not allowed entry. They were told to speak to the dominican consulate in canada to see their options.

Now Canada is in the mix. Seems to be an international incident.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
No sarcasm intended. The clients were English speaking canadians. This happened earlier this week. Today on another form I saw the post from the French Embassy. When I asked a friend at the airport he said that mostly their looking for people that have long stays, followed by a short trip and then another entry. In other words, people who live here without residency. But there is no way to know who they will apply the law to as according to the law anyone who violates immigration law (even by overstaying) is subject to deportation or being denied entry. As we all know this may be something that lasts a month or it may be something thats around for good. At this point it seems to be very random.

If you listen to Spanish news programs on the radio every day all they are talking about is the problem of immigration especially in Punta Cana and the the 80% 20% law. I've heard they are going to start cracking down on businesses as well to make sure they are complying with this law especially in the hotel/construction industry.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sure. I'm the director of a transportation company in Punta Cana. Puerto Rican born to Dominican Parents. These clients rent a house in Cocotal every year for march and april, and then go back home to Canada. We have the contract for quite a few villas and these clients we've transported every year for the past 4 years.

When I'm not in DR1 you can find me either terminal A or B in PUJ Airport. :classic:

Hence, business module. Where have I heard that one before?

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
This also falls in lines with earlier reports of people from DGM in the SDQ airport interrogating people about their overstays. Maybe there will finally be some rhyme and reason to the DGM

Status
Not open for further replies.