A little help?

happyholidays

Apr 16, 2002
Hi,
I have booked a package holiday to go to the Iberostar Costa Dorada in the first weeks in May and was wondering what it was like?

I am from the UK and very much looking forward to my first visit to the Dom Rep.

Can anyone offer me a few handy hints?

I have read a few posted reviews of the hotel and all sounds great.

I have many questions like:

Whats the weather like in early May?
Are there any unmissable tours / excursions?
Will I have to tip even though its an all inclusive package?
Can I just use US$ or will I have to get Pesos?
What are the best buys on the island?
What are the local food and drink specialities?
Anthing else I should know?

Thanking you for advice in advance, I just want my holiday to be perfect... :)

Kind Regards,
Nicky

Happy Holidays

Weather should be fine in May, you have selected a very nice hotel, the beach in my opinion could be better. As for tours the jeep safari is very good. Be sure to get a cab and go into POP to see the city. In most cases US$ is accepted and you should have no problems, be sure to check the rate to peso's so you know what you are spending, maybe a small calculator could be handy.
You need not tip at an all inclusive but if you get exceptional service it is up to you, generally I tip a good bar tender a couple of dollars and leave the maid a tip for keeping room nice and comfortable. I also leave excess toiletries when I leave.
I am sure you will enjoy the DR and this will not be your last trip.
Enjoy.

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
I am also going on the 1st May for 1 week and will be staying in Playa Dorada, but as yet dont know where. Allocation on Arrival, but it may be the Iberostar Costa Dorad as I believe it is a 4* hotel. One of the down falls of my job as a travel agent, looking at holidays all day I get obsessed with going on a certain one and can't resr until it is booked.

If you want to e mail me with any questions feel free to do so.

I have been twice already, once in November and I had rain, and once in February and it rained but it didn't bother me, just get a drink and watch the world go by.
Think tours / excursions are a bit personal I went on the Catamaran, which would have been fantastic if i hadn't drank so much the night before. Went horseriding, which was good but a little slow as I used to ride when I was younger, and also on quad bikes, great fun but very very dirty.
I didnt tip as such but as hlywud said just left my un-used toiletries.
I have never taken US dollars with me except the $10 to get in and out (although i'm thinking of reusing to pay when leaving this time, and see if they make me stay!!!!!!)
Don't really know about best buys apart from if you don't like someone get a bottle of rum151 for them, suppose cigars are quite a good buy and cigarettes. The major thing I think is amber.(or something like it)
Food is a lot of meatand rice, and the main drink is either presidente beer or rum and coke.

If you want anything else then e mail me and we may see each other in the Iberostar Costa Dorada

;-)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My son,the golfer, says that the Ibero Star is the best on the North Shore.
He does not swim, and I know that there are better beaches. However the facility is excellent
As foe weather? It is warm, breezy.
there are tours of the Brugal Rum factory where you can get some of the best rated rum in the world. There is the Ambar museum and several good jewelry shops that work with quality ambar.
There is the Cafe Cito for an evening out.

If you golf, there is Playa Grande right next door.

There are cigars available in the town (at Cafe Cito, infact) and they are pretty fair.

Tours are so personal, but I hear that the one to the falls is spectacular..

Bug repellant and sun block (30+) are a must to make the stay pleasant. Some Pepto for stomach troubles, normal toiletries..

We have a bunch of posters from that area-Bush Baby is one, and they can give you even more info....

Welcome and have fun.

HB

P.S. When we use our place in Playa Dorada, we always tip the maids, and have a few bucks for the guys that carry the bags. If I turn into a bar fly, I'll usually leave a few bucks for the kitty...

AND, don't exchange US$ for DR$ on the street. Do it at an exchange bank in town where you will get the best rate...don't exchange too much at one time...

happyholidays

Apr 16, 2002
Thank You

Thanks for your handy tips.
I am even more excited to be going now! The next two weeks are really gonna drag.....