Married a DR girl. I am a US citizen

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
still the same process as anyone else, that is you need to start in your home country but you can apply on the basis of "family reunion".

rromero26

Mar 9, 2018
Gotcha, I married in the DR, as she is a DR citizen... i would have thought it would be easier.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....Info for you....If you marry that DR chica in the D.R and dont legalize the marriage papers in your home country...you are only married in the D.R.......kind of a get out of jail card.......Doc.......

rromero26

Mar 9, 2018
....Info for you....If you marry that DR chica in the D.R and dont legalize the marriage papers in your home country...you are only married in the D.R.......kind of a get out of jail card.......Doc.......

correct sir... she is back in DR after one year... I left her in NY after she "changed" ..im now in s florida and she is back in the campo... still married over there though..

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

It may depend on the State:"If a US citizen legally marries a person abroad, that marriage would be recognized as legal in the USA if it was legally performed and is valid per the legislation of the foreign country."

In the UK you used to have to register your marriage there if you married in the DR but that changed around 5 years ago and now there is no need to register it back in the UK. You marry in the DR - you are married.

Matilda

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It may depend on the State:"If a US citizen legally marries a person abroad, that marriage would be recognized as legal in the USA if it was legally performed and is valid per the legislation of the foreign country."

In the UK you used to have to register your marriage there if you married in the DR but that changed around 5 years ago and now there is no need to register it back in the UK. You marry in the DR - you are married.

Matilda

...In the USA you have to legalize in your home town...I tried about 5 times, with the state, my senator, immigration....finally gave up....the last step was the Dominican consulate in chicago, they said they would call me back, never did...anyway not a bad thing its pretty much a state of mind anyway....how many Dominicans do you know in the DR that have a marriage with a judge and all the paperwork........Doc......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well I am dealing with a few cases of bigamy atm when the foreign spouse believed as you did that the marriage wasn't legal in their home country so dumped their Dominican and didn't bother with the divorce and remarried. Once the Dominican finds out the proverbial has hit the fan so as to speak. Especially as the Dominican can't re marry (another foreigner) until he or she is divorced!!

Matilda

rromero26

Mar 9, 2018
Well I am dealing with a few cases of bigamy atm when the foreign spouse believed as you did that the marriage wasn't legal in their home country so dumped their Dominican and didn't bother with the divorce and remarried. Once the Dominican finds out the proverbial has hit the fan so as to speak. Especially as the Dominican can't re marry (another foreigner) until he or she is divorced!!

Matilda

they dumped the dominincan girl with cause likely..adios muchacha!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
...In the USA you have to legalize in your home town...I tried about 5 times, with the state, my senator, immigration....finally gave up....the last step was the Dominican consulate in chicago, they said they would call me back, never did...anyway not a bad thing its pretty much a state of mind anyway....how many Dominicans do you know in the DR that have a marriage with a judge and all the paperwork........Doc......

Lots ( I have attended many Dominican weddings) , and many others have a union libre declared ( common law relationship).

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

If you as a US citizen marry a chica in the DR and get her a green card, you're stuck with her. That's documentation of a legal marriage in every state.