Statistics

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Terry, these figures were given to me by the Canadian consulate in Santo Domingo. When I first applied for a visitor's visa for my wife, the consul told me that she was rejected because 85% of the visas given out overstayed their visa deadline.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What was that famous quote? There are numbers, damned numbers, and statistics!

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, I just knew it was something like that..
Many thanks....

HB

P.S. Not so "Ditzy" after all?? }x{

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
What, you think a ditz can't memorize a couple of good quotes?

And now! To quote a historical figure of lesser repute:

"I am whatever you say I am. If I wasn't then why would I say I am?"

- Eminem (hee)

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I thought it was "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam, I,m Popeye the Sailor Man."

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What was that famous quote from Yogi Berra?
It was 90% preparation and 50% inspiration?? something like that...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No Fred, it is a Yogi Berra quote. Yogi, being a fairly well read man, was trying to quote the Einstein quote, which I think is : Genius is 90% prespiration and 10% inspiration, or something along those lines..

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Any how........

Fred I was told the same thing 6 yrs ago when we tried to get a visitor visa (yes that's right SIX yrs ago) for our maid. I tried to sponsor her as a visitor, also as a domestic when the visitor thing didn't work!!............She was still turned down because........she's a poor Dominican even tho' she owns a house (not worth enought) and had 50,000 pesos in the bank!
Even with our "promise" to sponsor and accompany her and see that she returned to the DR at the appointed time the applications were turned down because of the "risk of flight". As was put to us at the time : Quote" When she jumps out of the car at a red light and takes off through traffic are you going to garantee to chase and catch her?"UnQuote Application REJECTED!!!!

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
HB, Fred

Dudes, it was Thomas Edison, not Einstein, who said that. And he said: "Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration."

And Yogi Berra, intelligent? Wasn't he famous for saying a whole bunch of silly things? "You can observe a lot just by watching", or some such nonsense...

Don't mess with the Quote Lady!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J...

Nice job on the Thomas Edison and Yogi Berra quotes. Yogi was lovingly accepted as being a couple fries short of a happy meal. Here is one Thomas Edison quote that I truly value:
"Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the one thing that he can't afford to lose... "

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
eewww! I like that one Mon!

But I'm not sure I like the "non sequitur" in the dominicans in Europe thread. I"ve got enough words in this mouth of mine without you adding to them :D!
Besides....what happens when some people actually know what that means (besides you and me that is!)

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Words of wisdom

From the brightest mind of our time: Homer Simpson

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything,
Kent. 14% of people know that."

Or

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"

That being said I'll only add "D'oh!" :D