Vistor Visa - $$$$$

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Vistor Visa

Question: Does anyone know what is the approximate required funds a dominican needs to have in a DR bank acccount either in peos or usd that would satisfy the Visa officer's requirement.

Assuming this person applying is an every day worker in the DR, making only sufficient funds to meet everyday needs.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
A visa officer has no specific requirement, other than one he makes up on his own, as there is no official requirement.

The requirement is generally that the officer is convinced that the person applying for the visa will not violate its terms by overstaying it (not coming back). For visas to the USA, some 85% of the Dominicans that get visas, violate that visa terms and that is AFTER the officers have carefully limited the visas to just those that have proven they won't violate it.

Having a bank account with lots of money generally shows they do not need to escape bleak living conditions. Having a good job shows they do not need to go somewhere where job prospects are better and they they would need to give up a good job in order to not come back. It goes on and on.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks Jim for the info, I'm assuming by reading most of the info on these different threads, that the main qualifications are, other than perfect documentation, (it's almost impossiable for a dominican to get a vistor visa), unlesss they prove they a good job, not just any job, meaning white collar jobs, and no reason in the world why they would not return to the DR.

Most the the dominican's, who fall in the blue collar class, I'm assuming stands a zero chance of ever getting a vistor visa. Unless they luck out, which is rare, no matter how many times they may apply. This is sad, for those who may be given a once in a life time opportunity to visit another country and has someone who is willing to help them out.

Last edited:

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Sure they can come. They just can't easily get a visitor's visa. There are lots of other types of visas. A huge number of Dominicans come to the USA legally every year.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Jim,

It's Canada I'm trying to get a vistor visa, and to do it the right way and not illegal. Too much at risk, will try again in December 2002, if things have improved.........DJ

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Regarding Canadian visas...

From a conversation I had with a member of the Canadian Consulate a few years ago:

"What Canadian officials never say to Dominicans applying for visas:"

The basic assumption of the Canadian govn't is that the Dominican applicant wants to immigrate to Canada. It's up to him to prove otherwise. To merely state that he intends to return to DR is not enough. He has to show he almost has the obligation to return.

The applicant has to be able to prove that he is better off in DR than he would be if he lived in Canada. Not an easy task! He must demonstrate that it would be a great loss to him if he left DR. So like you said, he must hold quite a good position in DR.

The Canadian govn't doesn't care if the applicant leaves relatives (children) in DR. That's not sufficient ground to prove his will to return. Canadian officials know that a large percentage of children in DR are not taken care of by their parents anyway, but rather by a grandmother, sister, aunt...

A Dominican friend of mine twice applied for a Canadian visitors' visa. Twice she was denied it. She doesn't have much money herself, but she had solvable sponsors (Canadian nationals) waiting for her in Canada. It didn't help at all. Moreover, this girl had been previously granted 2 US visas, which she used to travel twice to the US and once to Puerto Rico. The visas were provided as proofs of her good faith, but to no avail. What next?

Probably less than 10% of applicants are granted a visa. Of course, whatever the outcome of your request, the Canadian Ambassy won't refund your money. So they encourage you to apply, well aware that they will probably refuse your request.

For Dominicans of high standing/holding high positions, it's little more than a formality. But for the "average" Dominican it's a next-to-impossible task.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
More about Canadian visas

I just remembered I read about someone who helped Dominicans obtain Canadian visas through missionary organisations somehow. It appears to be working.

Of course, the sponsoring of the Church does grant a certain degree of "immunity", and bring an aura of seriousness and confidence about the project.

Look in recent discussions about visas and you'll find him.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks Alain, I've read most of the questions and replys regarding vistor visa and don't recall the name of the missionary in Canada listed, it was advising that this was another way of trying. I'll post a New Thread to see if I can obtain the name of the missionary in Canada as to whom I can contact.

I must say that that these message boards are great and thanks to all who respond.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Visiting Canada..

Gonzaga,

I found the source of my reference.

It was in a discussion in the "Open" section, thread called "Dominicans coming to England"

The user who talked about Dominicans visiting Canada through missionary organisations is "Meredith".

Try to contact him and see what he has to say!

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks for your effort and time.....I will certainly try and contact Meredith.........Regards DJ

Paula

Apr 22, 2002
Hi Gonzaga,

For Dominicans coming to Canada on a Visa they do need funds in their account 10,000 - 15, 000 pesos and a letter from the bank stating so, this letter cost 75.00 CAD. I have done this before. As well in your letter you need to inform the embassey that you will buy medical insurance for the person you are bringing to Canada. I have alot more info if you like email me back with a fax nbr and I can send you what I have.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
A he? hee, hee....

I'm actually a she, but yes, the first time my friends came to the Canada they came in affiliation with the Scarborough missionaries. As well, it helped when my friends came down, if you explain the purpose for their visit and if it has some positive affiliation. Church, school, my friends came down to speak at a few schools and organizations, so we got letters from these representatives, as well as from us. Be exact, in your letter, time being spent in Canada, purpose, that you will support and be responsible for them when they are here. Good luck!