Anyone know about salary for teaching???

armin

Jan 8, 2002
hi i just got a job at a english institute as a teacher.
everything went fine in the intervju until he spoke about my salary, 18 pesos an hour!!!!he sayd beacuse i am a littlebit young,Im 18.
Is this director tying to fool me or what???
can someone please help me with this??

thanx.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Where are you from again? I hope you can speak better than you can spell. Most of the school teachers I got to know in Sosua were from England and had a degree.

armin

Jan 8, 2002
anna im from Norway and i have been living in canada a couple of years,my english is even better than the director on the institute.Anyhow when i write some post i just write it fast, and please dont worry about my spelling.
I asked about help, not someone who was gooing to correct me.

Worry about that big nose you have on your face instead.

sorry if im rude.
im a badboy.
:)

now if others dont care about my spelling can you please help me about the question i asked??

tnx

eric

Feb 13, 2002
armin 2000

Nevermind your poor spelling,with your attitude I would say that you are being overpaid by about 17 Pesos an hour.So if they are offering 18 Pesos an hour I would jump on that deal!Spend some of the surplus on etiquet lessons.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
armin2000,

You can see from the responses that some of the "regulars" have lost sight of the purpose of this message board. They see it as their playground rather than a vehicle for providing information and help to those interested in the Dominican Republic. You asked what to you is an important question and you deserve a serious answer, not critiques and abuse. You invited some of it with your response, but there was provocation.

I don't know anything about salaries in the Institute, but I do know that salaries for teachers in the Dominican Republic are low. I'm assuming the Institute is a Dominican operation and not a foreign school. The latter tend to pay better than do the Dominican schools. But to teach in them you must have a degree.

I don't think you have too many options, since the maximum you can expect is whatever the salary schedule of the Institute is. As I see it, you have 3 choices: accept the offer, reject the offer and look elsewhere, or reject the offer, but indicate that you will accept the job at the regular salary. Your rationale for the latter would be that your age has nothing to do with it, and that since you will be expected to perform as well as the other teachers that you expect to be paid the same salary that they are.

Good luck whatever you decide. I'd be interested in knowing how it comes out.

Ken

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Armin, your comment to Anna was totally rude and uncalled for. You want help, after you say something like that? Figure it out for yourself. With the attitude and spelling you've demonstrated here, I certainly hope you will not be teaching children or anyone else for that matter.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Give the Guy a Break

Comeon, folks, let's not forget the main purpose of this board. Unless I am badly mistaken, it is to help people with questions and problems related to the Dominican Republic.

Spelling/typing competency has never been a requirement for posting, at least not to my knowledge.

The guy asked a question and instead of a response got a criticism of his spelling and worth as a teacher. Sure he gave a "smart" rebuttal, but only after getting a criticism.

The question is obviously a serious one; it is not something a person would ask just to hear himself talk.

Seems to me the criticism and "smart" reply cancel each other out. Why not just focus on the original question and see if you can help?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
All in all, I definitely agree with the premise of your thinking. However, the guy is asking about a job "teaching", he should be more aware of what he is writing...it's obvious his English is poor, and he would be overpaid at the rate quoted. I don't think Anna was trying to make him look foolish, and she definitely didn't deserve the response she was given...how rude can you be, it was unwarranted and uncalled for. I would hate to see this little boy teaching my children.

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I agree Ken that this board is for DR info, not orthography, but his response was extremely juvenile and totally uncalled for. He could have easily made it clear that he didn't appreciate Anna's comments without making up physical insults.

Just because you put the word smart between quotation marks ("smart") does not mean it equals rude! He's 18, not 8, so "smarten" up if you want help on this board, Armin!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Armin if you took what I said as an insult, then I'm sorry. I should have finished the post with. The teachers I met in Sosua were making 10,000 to 12,000 pesos a month. As I read your post I wondered how you would TEACH English if you can't write a couple of sentences. I wrote what I thought instead of thinking of a good answer to give you. I know your very young but insulting people for their personal appearance doesn't get you far in life. ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reading his post, I don't think he is talking about teaching in an American school. My sense was that the Institute, as he called it, was a school for teaching Dominicans. The 18 pesos an hour sounds more like that type of school than a private school for children of families able to pay. Additionally, those schools require teachers to have a degree, which armin2000 obviously doesn't have.

If I understood his post correctly, he has applied at a Dominican run school to teach English. Instead of paying him the regular salary (which is undoubtedly no where near what a degree teacher in a private school would command) the headmaster is proposing to pay him 18 pesos/hour because he is young. How much less that is than the regular pay I don't know. But it does seem to me that the headmaster is taking unfair advantage. In my opinion, if he is too young or too incompetent in Enlish to do the job, he shouldn't be hired. If he is equal to the task, then he should be paid what another teacher would receive. Differentiating on the basis of having or not having a degree is one thing. Claiming he should be paid less for teaching than someone a few years older is another.

armin

Jan 8, 2002
Sorry anna

It's just that on this forum now everyone is beeing insulting.
You came with a short answere that looked like a treaht, im sorry if i affended you, are we even now?
anyhow the job is paying 18 pesos an hour, today i heard something new that i dident hear in the intervju last day,now its something that says they will take 30% off the 18 pesos an hour for something i dident understand.
that means now there is only 12 pesos an hour.
And yes it's a dominican institute not an american school.
I withdrawed my job cause i would spend more money for the public car then i get payd for.
Ives system in S.D sucks.
so i just have to go some other place and look for a new one.
:(

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Armin2000

Just a suggestion......before you think of applying for a job teaching English anywhere in the world I think it would be a good idea to invest a couple more years in Canada learning the language better.
In order to teach English to anyone but especially those who do not speak it as a first language you must be literate yourself. It is obvious from your posts here that not only are you a bit immature to be teaching you also lack an adequate command of the language to be considered a proficient teacher.
I'm not trying to be rude or put you down. In fact I commend your enthusiasm however I would be remiss if I did not point out to you the unfairness of accepting a teaching position for which you would be unable to fulfil your obligations to the students.

armin

Jan 8, 2002
The regular salary Is at least over 40 pesos an hour.

I think i am able to teach dominicans that almost dont know how to speak english. No problem, im not applying for a job teaching to kids that has english as their first language.
But still i ask my self is 12 pesos an hour fair?
but i got fired beacuse my onkel went there an started to discuss and i dont think that they liked that he had right.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Errr, in any case, Armin, it doesn't sound like a good deal, does it? And it seems you have a communication problem with your intervjuwers so it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway...

ROBERTO

Jan 23, 2002
Amin, you sound like an intelligent person with great potential. I have to admit, however, that your comment to Anna was out of place. You should ever apologize for it.

No, 12 pesos an hour is NOT an acceptable salary. It is less than $ 1 an hour. You should be looking at something else in the tourist industry for example. With respect to your english, I have to say that your writing is very poor. I do not think that you should be teaching English to Dominican even if your oral command of English might be better. English is also my second language, Spanish my third, Portuguese my fourth and French my first and I also been in English Canada for the past 15 years. Let me tell you that I wouldn't ever consider teaching either English, Spanish or Portuguese as a second language. Native speaking of a language are always the best to teach a second language.

I wish you the best in the DR and do not be disappointed because you did not get that specific teaching job. There are opportunities in the DR but you have to be persistent.

By the way, always be careful about people who wants to take you for a ride and who does not want to pay you decent wages. Learn to say NO !

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Are you serious about this or just playing around! If you cant even write english how can you teach it? Talking is not the only way to teach english, you have to be able to write and read english to a perfect "T".

armin

Jan 8, 2002
Roberto

hey.
I think you are right, but i have passed their test for vocabulary and grammar, but it's getting harder to speak english than it was before,my first language is Iranian, then norwegian, and then comes English, and now im studying Spanish, i am starting to forget my grammar and writing in english.
And to jane, im not a badperson, i always give the persons around me a good impression as i want them to be good to me, but the problem was i camed home from the intervju upsett about the director trying to fool me with the foolish salary wage,so i was a little bit angry and the first person who had to suffer for it, was poor anna, i sayd im sorry.
Now i dont even care, but it would be a great experiense to be teaching kids like my self english.
hope i have better luck with the salary's somewhere else.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's ok Armin. I want to wish you lots of luck. I know it's not easy to find a good job in the DR. Sounds like that school is taking advantage of people. I'm sure you can find a better job.