A move to Puerto Plata - Questions

CRTF

Apr 18, 2002
I'm a U.S. resident, 20 years old, with a good amount of money saved up. I'm thinking of moving to another country sooner or later with a friend of mine, for the experience and adventure.

When it comes to DR, I found a pleasant one room apartment, with utilities paid, for $120.00 USD per month that my friend and I would room in. It's outside of Puerto Plata, in an area on the Munoz River (close to Playa Dorada). Seems like a nice place to live.

A couple of questions . . .

1) I don't speak Spanish and I expect to have (a lot of) trouble finding a job. Does anyone know if my English can at all be used to my advantage in the tourism industry?

2) I would like to make 2000.00 pesos per month. Is that a reasonable expectation, were I to find a job?

3) Are jobs in agriculture/farming available?

4) How is the economy along the north coast? Someone said it was horrible and hotels were closing down, other sources act as though the industry there is stable or 'booming'.

5) Is potable water readily available? How is the public water system? What sorts of locally grown foods can one expect to find from local vendors?

Thanks for the help. I'm not planning to move there anytime soon, and I'll probably try to learn a lot more Spanish before I leave, but I figure it doesn't hurt to start investigating now.

CRTF / fox@sedona.net

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would say that you are dreaming a lot right now. Settle down a bit, get a good education in a technical field-anything from sewing machine mechanic, production supervisor, computer programmer,
to phsyical therapist will do and learn Spanish, it isn't that hard!

You are way, way under expecting...

Hell for $2000 pesos a month, Grahame Bush will hire you as a yard boy!

HB

Paula

Apr 22, 2002
Hi CRTF,

Ok for starters don't live in Munoz, its far away from everything and it's in the bush. If you want to experience real life live in the city itself. There are some really nice apartment there for 3000.00 pesos that include 24 power, maid service,clean,washer,and it's close to the market and restaurants. The apartments I speak of are Juan Burgous apartments, they are located in an area called Ensanche Luperon, the heart of Puero Plata, fone nbr is 809-586-6101. Juan speaks perfect English and can give you other additional info. As for work you can find a job on a resort, safari,catamaran etc that will pay you 3000.00 pesos and up. As for food, you can buy everything in POP that you can buy at home. You can try the yuka and plantin, they are local foods. As for the water always drink bottled water. You can buy a huge bottle for 100.00 pesos and then everytime you wanted it refilled it will cost you 20 pesos. If you want more info email me back. I have lived in Puerto Plata for 2 years so I do know abit about it.

Last edited:

Amanda Amass

Aug 1, 2003
Living in Puerto Plata

Hi

I was wondering if you would be able to give me any more info on living and working in Puerto Plata. I arrive in a couple of weeks. I am not expecting great things, I have been before. I just feel the more info you are armed with in life the better.

Thanks

casi84

Jul 21, 2003
i did exactly what you are planning on doing

My friend and i moved to puertopl ata for three moneths in the summer and we loved it dont let anyone tell you not to do it. Check out debbies dominican travel...its a website with lots of info nad check out rentals for apartments on the north coast and you will find puerto plata apartements..they are rented by a man named jeffrey and they are nice and fully furnished. do not live in munoz....its el campo...like the jungle and ive heard bad things about the lady that runs it... you wont be near the city and you wont be able to leave at night ebcause there are no carbs or anythign that will go there. Its easy to find work teaching or tutoring englsih or working in hotels.
IT wil not be hard to make a living
CAsi

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
Working near Luperon

HI, im not sure whether you will still be using this site as it was 3 years ago that this post was placed! I have just come back off holiday from Luperon beach resort and loved it soooo much that im thinking of trying to come over there and work for a few months. Im just wondering how the best possibly way of doing this would be, and if there are ne ways of finding a job before i come out. I would like to be nera Luperon as i loved it so much, and would even like a job in the hotel, but again in not sure how to go about doing so. any help would be very greatful! Jess

casi84

Jul 21, 2003
hi jelly legs

jellylegs2002 said:
HI, im not sure whether you will still be using this site as it was 3 years ago that this post was placed! I have just come back off holiday from Luperon beach resort and loved it soooo much that im thinking of trying to come over there and work for a few months. Im just wondering how the best possibly way of doing this would be, and if there are ne ways of finding a job before i come out. I would like to be nera Luperon as i loved it so much, and would even like a job in the hotel, but again in not sure how to go about doing so. any help would be very greatful! Jess
Well i actually have just returned from living in puerto plata again for 6 months teachingin a private school. Its hard to find good paying jobs there but cost of living is cheap, i myself have not been to luperon but i have to ask have you been off the resort area and seen what the living and the city is like, i didnt think luperon even had much of a city, if you want any info or details i am happy to help, you can add me on msn messenger or email me at casi84@hotmail.com

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
CRTF said:
I'm a U.S. resident, 20 years old, with a good amount of money saved up. I'm thinking of moving to another country sooner or later with a friend of mine, for the experience and adventure.

When it comes to DR, I found a pleasant one room apartment, with utilities paid, for $120.00 USD per month that my friend and I would room in. It's outside of Puerto Plata, in an area on the Munoz River (close to Playa Dorada). Seems like a nice place to live.

2) I would like to make 2000.00 pesos per month. Is that a reasonable expectation, were I to find a job?
You want to make US$70 a month and pay 1/2 of $120, or $60 for rent, and then live on $2.50 a week? If I was down there I'd hire you just as a butler or gofer if you will work for $2.35 a day.

Rethink this project.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
CRTF said:

I think you mean 2000 US Dollars per month? In Pesos, that would be around 57,000. Dominican salaries for entry level jobs range between 5,000 to say around 18,000 pesos if you're really lucky. Yes, rethink this project.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jellylegs,

Look at the top of the page on each forum for the icon that says "new thread"! By resurrecting this 3 year old thread, you aren't getting your question answered, and the discussion is all about the OP, which is practically ancient history. I suggest you use the search feature to see the volumes of posts written about this. I think you'll learn a lot. Then start a new thread with your unanswered questions.

My guess is the OP here left out a zero and meant 20,000 pesos, which would have been acceptable 3 years ago, when it was written. Either that, or he had no clue.