legal holidays

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
I've been working in the DR for four days now and I just found out that we get the 29th off for labor day.. I am in the dark about DR's legal holidays, can anyone give me a quick run down?

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You should be able to get an Dominican calendar somewhere. Many businesses give them out as advertising. On most, the legal holidays are marked in red. There will be two in May, the 1st (Labor Day) and the 30th (Corpus Christy). After that, next one is August 16 (Restoration Day).

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I will go to my local papeleria and follow your advice.

: )

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hey! You are forgetting May 16th: election day. Now that we have elections every 2 yrs. we have to keep that in mind.

Darn, it's a Thu! Why couldn't it be a Fri?

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
We get election day off?? YEAH!!

What do most people do for Corpus Christi? Is there some special celebration involved?

(besides Presidente y la playa..)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Yes, election day is off. Having said that I am all for having elections and referendums to decide everything Mom, I am joking.

A little curious note on Dominican Folklore: You are not supposed to work or do any effort on Corpus Christi. That is a "bad thing" (cosa mala), which for Dominicans is one of those things that nobody knows why is offensive to God. Go figure. When I was a kid my grandma told us this folk tale of a guy who was plowing the field on a Corpus Christi day. His bull turned to him and SPOKE, complaining that he wasn't supposed to work on that day. There was some fun in the story, which I dont' remember since grandma died when I was 8 and at the old age of 31 I am already quite senile.

Now that I took that road, I also remember that I was told (later obviously) that having sex on a Good Friday (Easter friday) is a "bad thing". People who do, supposedly, will be stuck the rest of the day in whatever position they were in. I have failed to see where the punishment is.
eek7.gif

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fortunately, the Pib is in form!!

Hey, I thought that getting stuck was when you made faces at the nuns???

Back to holidays.

While May 1 is the real day, the Government has pushed the day off to the Monday before.

Corpus Cristi is a religious holiday (40 days after Easter) and is untouchable.

Besides that Corpus Cristi is the beginning of the National Golf Tournament, a 4 day event..and this is the only day to get four days together, since the golfers will gladly make a 'bridege' for that Friday...

HB

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Fortunately, the Pib is in form!!

[B]Hillbilly[/B] said:
Corpus Cristi is a religious holiday (40 days after Easter) and is untouchable.

Beside that Corpus Cristi is the beginning of the National Golf Tournament, a 4 day event..and this is the only day to get four days together, since the golfers will gladly make a 'bridge' for that Friday...
And the Lord in his infinite wisdom already thought of this 2002 yrs. ago and made sure to go back to heaven on a Thursday.

Susanita

Feb 11, 2002
Does anyone read the DR1 home page?

Vacation time?
President Hipolito Mejia has declared a national holiday from noon Wednesday, 15 May, through the evening of Friday, 17 May. This is the first time that the government has given two-and-a-half days off for an election. In the past, only 16 May, the actual voting date, had been an official holiday.
The stated reason is to give voters time to travel to their hometowns in the interior to vote. On the other hand, the creation of an extra long weekend might contribute to voter abstinence due to people treating it as an excuse to leave town for a vacation.

I'd love to say it's because I arrive in DR on the 15th after 20 years of absence that this has been put in place but..well, we'll just let me dream.

Enjoy!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hihi

Maybe Hippy, in his infinite un-wisdom has decided to raise his popularity by creating more holidays. Who knows, anyone who can give me 100 days work for 395 days pay is my man.
luxhello.gif

Ok, seriously. I don't remember any president having done this before. And I also believe this is going to backfire, this is going to be just another beach party. Anyhoo, people should have registered where they live.

Pib
Serie 41

Last edited:

Susanita

Feb 11, 2002
Drats

Well, ok, so the excitement over the days off were too much and ...well...Hipo has had numerous complaints from businesses about the days off. The "vacation" has been cut to just the 15th and 16th as days off. The 17th will be a regular work day.