Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal holidays

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question legal holidays

I've been working in the DR for four days now and I just found out that we get the 29th off for labor day.. I am in the dark about DR's legal holidays, can anyone give me a quick run down?

Thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not the 29th..

Labor day is May 1st....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to get an Dominican calendar somewhere. Many businesses give them out as advertising. On most, the legal holidays are marked in red. There will be two in May, the 1st (Labor Day) and the 30th (Corpus Christy). After that, next one is August 16 (Restoration Day).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

I will go to my local papeleria and follow your advice.

: )

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

From www.BocaChicaBeach.net/links.html, category "Resources and Info", sub-category "Reference and Tools", listing "Holidays":

http://www.holidayfestival.com/DominicanRepublic.html

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey! You are forgetting May 16th: election day. Now that we have elections every 2 yrs. we have to keep that in mind.

Darn, it's a Thu! Why couldn't it be a Fri?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

We get election day off?? YEAH!!

What do most people do for Corpus Christi? Is there some special celebration involved?

(besides Presidente y la playa..)

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, election day is off. Having said that I am all for having elections and referendums to decide everything Mom, I am joking.

A little curious note on Dominican Folklore: You are not supposed to work or do any effort on Corpus Christi. That is a "bad thing" (cosa mala), which for Dominicans is one of those things that nobody knows why is offensive to God. Go figure. When I was a kid my grandma told us this folk tale of a guy who was plowing the field on a Corpus Christi day. His bull turned to him and SPOKE, complaining that he wasn't supposed to work on that day. There was some fun in the story, which I dont' remember since grandma died when I was 8 and at the old age of 31 I am already quite senile.

Now that I took that road, I also remember that I was told (later obviously) that having sex on a Good Friday (Easter friday) is a "bad thing". People who do, supposedly, will be stuck the rest of the day in whatever position they were in. I have failed to see where the punishment is.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fortunately, the Pib is in form!!

Hey, I thought that getting stuck was when you made faces at the nuns???

Back to holidays.

While May 1 is the real day, the Government has pushed the day off to the Monday before.

Corpus Cristi is a religious holiday (40 days after Easter) and is untouchable.

Besides that Corpus Cristi is the beginning of the National Golf Tournament, a 4 day event..and this is the only day to get four days together, since the golfers will gladly make a 'bridege' for that Friday...

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 04-25-2002 at 04:58 PM.

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fortunately, the Pib is in form!!

Originally posted by Hillbilly
    Corpus Cristi is a religious holiday (40 days after Easter) and is untouchable.

Beside that Corpus Cristi is the beginning of the National Golf Tournament, a 4 day event..and this is the only day to get four days together, since the golfers will gladly make a 'bridge' for that Friday...
    And the Lord in his infinite wisdom already thought of this 2002 yrs. ago and made sure to go back to heaven on a Thursday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast