Introducing Myself

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Good Evening to All!

I am new here in your arena. I have been browsing all the different groups and have gleaned so much from you all-- thank you! I want to lurk and learn as much as I can, as I am considering seriously a move with my partner to the Dominican Republic from the U.S.

We are interested in your area for several reasons, one being the climate, another being the location, and yet another being
the association with people from other cultures around the world.

My background is varied; I have been married, raised two sons, widowed by M.S. (husband diagnosed two weeks after honeymoon--20 yrs. married), and now am single and attached to a man with whom I live. I have been a homeschooler, a caregiver, and interpreter for the Deaf at the college level, as well as in primary and secondary levels. I have a keen interest in animals, especially birds, and have begun researching the flora and fauna and wildlife of D R. I am an unlicensed body worker.
My giftings incorporate my eyes and hands mostly.

I don't know that I will post much-- I want to keep reading all your offerings... but I may ask a question now and then!

For instance, a question now in mind is-- Is there a deaf culture in the D R? Are the deaf treated with respect, or treated as outcasts, as in some other parts of the world? I had the priviledge of teaching a 15 yr. old girl from another country where
deafness was something akin to leprosy. She had never attended a school, was kept home by her family to protect her from danger and ostracism in their society. I learned her family's
home signing system, then taught her A.S.L. for conversing and English sign so she could read books. She decided to become a doctor! I believe she can do it.

Another question would center around the requirements for massage therapy. Can you point me in a direction to inquire about this?

I am not necessarily expecting to work in the local economy if we do settle there. I am simply interested in these areas and thought I would break the ice with these subjects.

Again, I am pleased to make your acquaintances!

Good evening.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
On behalf of the DR1 Welcome Committee (due to be est. anytime) I welcome you.

Regarding your questions about a "deaf" culture, I am afraid that I don't know there existed such thing. But what I know I'll tell you.

There is a school for the deaf: Escuela Santa Rosa. I have heard that they are doing a wonderful job. They also have a spot on TV that urges people to treat deaf people with respect. I think they are treated with respect. I don't know many deaf people (with the exception of a few old folks, but it was because of age). There was a deaf girl in my hometown. She wasn't schooled but she had a few jobs (in wich she didn't have to interact much with people). Everybody recognized she was smart and that being deaf had nothing to do with your level of intelligence.

I met a couple (girlfriend and boyfriend) in the University that were both very much deaf. She had a coclear (sp?) implant later. . They are both successful professionals and he is often a spokesman for the Association of Deaf People (or whatever its name is).

I hope I have been of some help. Keep frequenting the board. Don't get scare because some are too loud-mouthed, it's a side effect of the sun + Presidente. And remember the rules: Hit first, duck and run... :D

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Pib, you are just way too hilarious. You crack me up.

I, too, think deaf people are very much respected in the country. A couple of people in Angel's (my husband's) family are deaf, and have no problems at all.

Best of luck, and welcome (I started spelling "welcome" in Spanish, and thought, "Is that really how you spell that?" Thought I'd better just stick to what I know!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Welcome Corona!

If anyone gives you any trouble around here let me know.
I'm the head honcho and I'll vaporize their sorry virtual souls!

Ok, back to reality...

Welcome and enjoy the site :)

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Welcome?

I believe the deaf are treaded with fairness and respect in DR. To tell you the truth, most deaf people in DR have great self-esteem and they manage pretty well to insult anyone who is being a jerk to them. Believe me, there is a large deaf community in DR, but each individual is surrounded by their family and friends who are not handicapped instead of hanging with people who have this disability. You will also soon realize that many of the deaf in DR do not speak in sign language?instead they have each made up their own way of communicating with friends and families. I know this because I have dealt with the deaf community in DR through religion.
MS

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Bienvenido .........Welcome

While I don't know much about the deaf in particular, what impressed me the most about the DR was the tolerance and acceptance of any handicapped person here.
There does not seem to be the stigma attached as in North America. Perhaps it is due to the fact that services (while becoming better all the time) were few and far between and these people werends and community.
Welcome to the board and the DR.

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Thanks for the Welcome!!

Thank you Pib, Trina, Robert, Salomon and MommC for your welcome! I shall lurk regularly and know I will learn a lot!

Robert, I trust that you will take care of me if things get too wild!
<laughing> I've been to the Open Forum and my my!! Things do get heated and interesting, to mildly state it!

I am so glad to hear about the Deaf in the DR. I hope to contact the school that was mentioned and see "what's happening"--
not looking for work, just interested in how things are done in different parts of the world than where I've been and observed.

Anyone have ideas as to licensing requirements for massage therapy? I KNOW!!! CHECK THE LEGAL FORUM, OR THE BUSINESS FORUM! LOL! I will, I promise. Again, not looking for work, but I
do have gifted hands and I use them anytime I get the opportunity-- don't want to break any laws that could cause problems for me. LOL! I'll just break the laws that won't cause problems for me!! (A little levity-- I am harmless mostly...<smiling> and to know me is to love me...!) I guess I'm in a playful non-conforming mood today!

I send you all my best energy and thoughts for a grand day!

Chat with you again soon, I hope!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NBobody answers better than the PIB!..

As for the deaf around here (Santiago), there is a School for the Deaf/Mute. You would be very welcome there!.

As for the treatment that I have seen, it ranges from the the hazing of children to the positioning of deaf in highly skilled jobs.

One of the most striking ladies I know works for a friend of mine and she can talk to me in English and Spanish and is deaf. She also signs in English and Spanish! She's happily married, too...
Folks who have visited there with me will remember her, I am sure!

As far as "healing hands " goes, while it is not a licensed profession here, there are hundreds of healers that use folk lore or mumbo-jumbo or outright quackery to get bundles of money from the poor or ignorant. I see no reason that a person who works in good faith should not or could not join in...probably make more money than Midas..

HB

Last edited:

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Hey HB !!

I noticed a photo of your Scarlet... beautiful! Is he a wild-caught from the DR, or have you raised him from the clutch? Do you breed (BIRDS!) <smiling>) or have bird(s) as pet(s)? Most importantly, does he shower with you like my Albert?? LOL! I posted a pic of Albert showering with me-- (if it goes through)--
bad photo because he was joyously flapping for all he was worth as I tried to keep the camera steady! He loves to be in the shower! Do you have other birds as well?

I like animals... it's your own fault that you get the "third degree" if you post a pic of an animal!!! That'll teach ya! LOL!

Bye for now.

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
P. S. for HB

HB, in the pic of you and your grandchild, I didn't think you looked a day over 22,000 hrs. or so...

<grinning>

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tania likes to shower in her cage....Since she is a she and not that friendly, I wouldn't try it with her. Besides, my wife is very jealous of any female that is bathing with me!!!

We inherited her. I am trying to find a mate for her thru a friend that has some breeding pairs.

She adores my son but will not tolerate any females...Me, she doesn't attack, but with her size and beak, I am very careful with the door open.

As for 22,000+...Well let's say I remember 5 cent Cokes...and penny post cards....

HB

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to the DR1 Corona. I didn't post a welcome yesterday because my PC was running slow. I live in Canada and as most people on this board I'm very fond of the Dominican Republic.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
BIENVENIDOS CORONA

I have worked with a deaf child in an orpahange in Esperanza, and he's now in one in Laguna Salada. He was mute as well. I noticed no prejudice or bad treatment that you mentioned you were concerned about. He may be a little behind the other kids because of it, but he generally gets along OK, and the kids and others don't look down on him for it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Hi,
My wife is a Rehab counselor and a speech therapist. My non hearing impaired 10 year old signs. I have a limited sign vocabulary that I have picked up from my wife and daughter.

I have no clue about the hearing impaired in the DR but in the US I don't think that deaf are discriminated against for the most part anymore and inclusion is the norm.

Glad to read about the favorable treatment of Deaf in the DR. I only wish blacks and the poor were afforded the same treatment and I that I didn't have to read black haters, Jew haters and poor haters on this board at all.

Regards

D

dianepellerin

Carolina answer about massage

I can give you more information about massage. I have a friend who did it for a living with the upper class. E-mail me: dianepellerin@yahoo.com

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Regarding the Deaf in DR

Thank you to all who have replied to my message. I am glad to have these reports.

Jazzcom, what sign system is your ten yr. old using? I am curious, as I've seen different sign systems from many parts of the world, and it facinates me--the language of the hands universal.

I lurk with anticipation of learning a lot! Chat with you more soon.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Regarding the Deaf in DR

Corona said:
Thank you to all who have replied to my message. I am glad to have these reports.

Jazzcom, what sign system is your ten yr. old using? I am curious, as I've seen different sign systems from many parts of the world, and it facinates me--the language of the hands universal.

I lurk with anticipation of learning a lot! Chat with you more soon.

The universal language taught in Colleges in the US. My wife had taken Sign as part of her Masters in both Rehab and Speech and Hearing. My daughter learned sign from my wife as a sport since she is a sponge for knowledge.

My daughter just went to sleep and I don't want to wake her. My wife always wanted to work with the deaf population as a Rehabilitation Counselor but hadn't been able to find a position.
The resources and programs in NYS are limited.

She then got a second masters in Speech and Hearing but still works as an administrator (Director) for a non for profit in Rehab of Multiple Handicapped.

Regards

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Welcome

Welcome Corona!

I am also new to the site, and I wish I had had the foresight to write such a nice "hello" letter. It was a pleasure to read yours.

I am interested in studying Spanish in the DR. I don't plan a move there, such as you have described, but I loved my last trip there.

Good luck with your search. I'm afraid I cannot offer much help as I have only visited for a short vacation, and I'm not in a stage in my life where I will be moving there.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Hey Welcome to the board dude!!

Im late in replying but want to add my name to the list of gente
welcoming you here to Dr1 and possibbly to La Republica
Im sorry myself dont know much abou deaf issues or massage sorry.. Sammy

Last edited: