A question for the rich people

Status
Not open for further replies.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
You guys( the "rich")refer to poor people as chopos.you also use this expression to describe people with" cash but no class".

What is your collective name? Goloistas perhaps

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]TERRY[/B] said:
You guys( the "rich")...
Although I don't qualify to post in this thread I'd like to waste a little bandwidth and speak a little of my over-opinionated mind.

Rich? Who? 99% of the people in DR I hear that refer themselves as rich, who believe themselves rich, or that people say that are rich would barely qualify as middle class in other countries. "In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is king", and in a country with such overt did I use this word right? poverty anyone with a couple million pesos think they are rich. I know better.

It is an important business for the wanna-bes and for the shallow-minded to put down and/or try to impress those less blessed by fortune. That's THE signal for me. I've met a few trully, disgustingly rich people in my life (they are the oddest bunch) and I swear they were not trying to impress me or patronize me.

"Dime de lo que te jactas, y te dir? de lo que careces". Or like my dad always says "those who have money keep it quiet, the tax man has long ears". :D

Tgf

Jan 3, 2002
Will the real Dominicans please stand up? Is it the 10 percent of the rich, the 20 percent of the middle-class, or the 70 percent of the poor?

Pib, your use of the word overt was correct. I truly wish my command of Spanish was half as good as your command of English.

One can learn a lot from Golo and his posts if one chooses to ignore the rather, err, pointed aspects of his perspective.

Regards, Tgf

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
PIB, there you go again

Your analysis of rich people requires better analysis. Economic status(what you call being rich or poor) is a relative thing.

Your observation that a rich person in DR is at best middle class in another country is absurd. I am assuming you are saying that perhaps a rich person in Mississippi is not rich because the same person cannot be rich in the East Side of Manhattan. In other words, Donald Trump is rich, but The CEO of a manufacturing firm in Baton Rouge is not. Well then, what is rich to you?

Isn't it amazing that only the super rich in the United States have uniformed maids, chauffeurs and gardeners? On the other hand, any upper middle class Dominican has at least two of those. Isn't amazing that a teacher in Westchester County in New York earns $150,000 a year, yet cannot afford to live in that community's upper class area. With the same salary, a person in DR would be able to drop pesos instead of flower petals at his daughter's wedding.

Isn't amazing that any upper middle class Dominican can have their sons dropped at school in a late model jeepeta with a uniform chauffeur ready to cater to his needs, while poor upper middle class mom in Houston, Texas has to get up early, cook breakfast and drive herself? How ironic. Our moms have their juice squeezed by a maid. Their mom has to drink juice concentrate or squeeze it herself. What is rich to you PIB? Is it a matter of dollar quantity standarized all over the world the same way, or is it a living style wherever you may be?

I really feel sorry for these upper middle class Dominicans who have a beachfront house in Juan Dolio. Do you think they would prefer being upper middle class in Hoboken, N.J.?

Owning slaves was a priviledge of the rich and the super rich in colonial times. Middle class Dominicans have the equivalent of two or more slaves in their homes ready to cater to their whims. Do you have a maid PIB? Upper middle class people in the USA and Europe have to have their cars washed at a car wash or wash it themselves. Our poor upper middle class have to suffer having their cars washed by their own chauffeur, their own imported wax, their own imported Armor-all and with selected 100%cotton rags, one for the body and another for the tires. He can also check their oil, tire pressure and be sure those aluminum wheels are always shiny. If it rains, the cars is never dirty. Poor slave will do it for you. Poor Dominican upper middle class!!!!

PIB, wake up!!

TW

jt76

Jan 23, 2002
Mom's vs. Maids

Imagine you're a kid and you're mom gets up early cooks breakfast, gets you raedy for school, spends quality time driving you to school and picking you up. Now imagine a nanny, sure she might be nice, but she is not your mom. And any kid would rather spend time with the parents than a hired hand.

As far as slaves, Golo, last time I checked does were outlawed decades ago. And as a decent human being I would never consider a maid as a slave, or expect them to cater to my every pathethic whims. But that's the difference between the snob-nose rich and the real rich. Which "class" do you belong in?

Pib, I agree with oyu 110%.

JT

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Now you're talking Golo........

It is relative isn't it! I live a rich lifestyle in the DR and a middle- middle class one at home (otherwise I'd soon eat up my capital!)
While I had a limousine at my disposal at home in Canada, when I wanted bread from the corner store I drove the limo myself to buy the bread!!
As for Terry's question I think he is confusing you and a few others on this board with all of us. I never have used the word chopo to describe anyone and have only used the word chopa in it's true form.
At home I would call the people you have described as chopo's as "back woods","uncouth","uncivilized","ignorant","uncultured" etc.
The amount of money one has, has nothing to do with whether they are a "chopo" or not. I know several very wealthy people who would fit your description of "chopo".
Maybe we need to compile all the posts describing the attributes of "chopo's" into one and post it so Terry will comprehend the definition. Also we should list the names by which "chopo's" are known the world over........

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
jt76

Dont be so simple minded; I think the point is that the dominican middle class has a choice to hire help where only the filthy rich in the US can afford it. Not which is better...

I do agree that "slave" is not really a nice way to put it. But they are hired help and they do serve for money. Its their job, and they are grateful to have work.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
jt76

It is interesting how a few words can rise the bile in some people. I used the term "slave" just to give you a relative or comparative picture of the status in society at different times.

And although slavery is outlawed, anyone who denies that we have slavery in DR is shortsighted, or prefers to ignore reality.

A live-in chopa or maid is a slave. They are ordered what to do by their bosses. Some are practicly owned for life. They have nowhere to go. The master and their sons sometimes uses them for entertainment. They have no employment rights. You can throw them on the streets anytime you want without compensation. Many get rid of them by accusing them of theft. Some Haitians in DR live under slave conditions.

MommC is right. To be a chopo you don't have to be poor. There are very rich chopos.

Take for instance what happened last Saturday, 2 am at the elite Kiev Club at Lincoln Avenue in Piantini. Super-rich Frank Sonny Jorge, the son of the owner of SuperCanal Channel 33 and socialite Frank Jorge Elias went to this club. As reported by DL today he was upset that his former girlfriend was there with three sons of the Lebanese Consul. In a fit of jealousy, according to DL, he told the Kiev security to have her expelled from the club. Sonny has lots of influence. They kicked her out. The Lebanese kids get upset. A bar-room brawl breaks off. Furniture and doors destroyed. A son of the Pan Am Games czar tries to break up the fight. He gets his face redesigned with a blackjack. All were arrested and now freed for further investigation.

I was at the corner gas station and heard the commotion, but never knew what happened till I heard it in the news.

This was an act of rich superchopos. Cafe Kiev was designed for the upper class and refuses entrance to chopos from barrios. In fact, blacks have a hard time getting in. Yet these white boys and Lebanese rich kids behave no better than Capotillo hoodlums.

TW

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
1) Upper middle class families in the US do not have the things you mentioned, not because they cannot afford it, but because they do not want it.
a) Housekeeper: Americans are very private; they do not like to have strangers 24 hrs a day around them. American families do not even leave with parents or relatives. If their parents are old, they rather put them in a home for care.

b) Women: Many upper middle class woman choose to work because they love the kill?Becoming both successful at home and at work is the gratification of their life.
c) Moms who actually decide to stay at home, they do it because they want to raise their children. Most have nannies or opears as mother?s helper, just in case they want time to go play tennis or to go to the gym. These women stay home because they want to prepare breakfast for their family and they want to drop their children at school.

I went to college in Southampton, and I use to do some baby-sitting on Saturday night for Hugh Grants brother, Jamie. The Grants were upper and maybe close to rich. They had the apartment in park and the house in Southampton by the beach. His wife Nicky was the biggest snob, and their children? Well should I say anymore? Nicky had it all, yet she took care of her own children, even though she had the live in nanny. She woke up with the children, she made sure she dropped her children at school and she read and put her children to bed.

More women in the DR should take the time to do these things for their children, because they are not.. Most Dominican women are just worried about how they will bee seen to the Dominican society. They are getting fat, they are not taking care of their home, their husbands are cheating on them yet they look the other way because they accomplished nothing in life on their own, and therefore they are who their husbands are.

Golo the fact is that they are very few rich ?wealthy people in DR. There are many poor people in DR and there are middleclass and a few Upper middle class but the truth there are few rich and wealthy in the DR as Rich and wealthy is when you live the same no matter where the hell in the world you are (Example, How many people in DR can Be rich like Julio Iglesia. Did you know that when he leaves the DR he can still have the chouffer and the mansions ect) . Many in the DR just live on appearances or can only live the lifestyle in DR...sorry that is upper to middleclass. Big example: the many Diplomats and their families living in DR. Many are not even close to rich and their salaries are very low. But their children are going about the country as if they were rich because of the perks they get from their gov?t and because DR gov?t are all ?Unos limpia saco?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
The reason only the super rich in USA can have hired help is because the help gets paid a decent salary. Here the help works for little because its better than nothing at all. So ,in my opinion, the people that can afford the "slaves" are as bad as the plantation owners in the old south. No money,no education so they can be used to make the people that have some money look so much the better. A man was talking to me about working in a resturant because I knew what serfvice was coming from USA. I said I could teach his servers how to be efficent and how to give service and he didn't want that. He said if they learned that then they would want more money and other resturants would steal them away. So I see that as keep the poor poor so the rich can get richer. It sort of makes me sad.....

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Before this degenerates into a total free for all

Its hard to have this discussion without agreeing on what rich, middle and lower class means

It is not a realistic comparision to line up the bank accounts next to each other... You have to compare style of life and amount of disposable income and time...

American middle class has nice houses, nice cars, and good jobs but also is deeply in debt, over worked, and cost of house labor is high. Medical costs are also very high. Retirement and education costs are astronomical

Dominican middle class has nice houses, more free time, some have nice cars, cheap (but not always best) medical care, college education costs are as cheap as free (again not always best). Retirement cost is also very low and house labor is very cheap. One the other hand, they have less world wide buying power, the employment situation can be very unstable, and imported goods can get expensive.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Interesting conversation. I just had this type of conversation with a girlfriend yesterday. We had gone out about 20 years ago but drifted apart. I found an old phone book in my office and saw her number and called her about 6 months ago. Her Husband died several years ago and I have been separated from my wife for a year and a half so we decided to see each other again.

She lives on the Scarsdale/White Plains border in a private community in a fairly small 2 bedroom home. The value is about 550,000 dollars if she sold it today. She has substantial monies in the bank from selling a business and the commercial building it was in. All in all it amounts to a good bit over a million dollars US. She is working for the company she sold because she feels that she can't afford not to work living in Westchester County and she has NO mortgage. She has said that she CAN afford to retire if she lived in Florida which she is considering because her mother and father are there.

I have been considering retiring to the DR for about a year.

After spending a lot of time there researching as well as from here I figure that I can live very well there with less than 250,000 invested there gaining interest. I hold more than that in mortgages now. I don't think that I would be able to spend the interest on that money. I have told people that I can live in a beach house with all the ammenities plus a full time maid, gardener and driver. Not that I would want or need a driver mind you but just to know that I could afford it is an interesting position to find ones self in after working and living in NY my whole life.

So while it may be true that a Dominican that lives in the DR who has a maid and gardener couldn't live nearly as well in the US I do feel that they have a good life especially if they are Dominicans. There are many Americans that wouldn't find enough in the DR to keep them there and would rather live with less than move there.

I presently live about 65 miles north of NYC in the mountains. I just sold my house, guest cottage and 25 acres and donated another 50 acres to a Church camp. I have a deposit on a condo with a million dollar view of the water and marinas that was supposed to be completed last month but won't be ready for another six months. I plan on moving into that condo and keep it even after moving to the DR at some point. It is simply too hot for me several months a year in the DR. I would also miss being able to go to the Theater and other things that interest me that are not available in the DR. Monday evening I saw the play "Moma Mia" on Broadway after having dinner at the Palms. That just doesn't exist in the DR.

Well I plan on continuing to liquidate Real Estate and after that sell the business's. I won't be able to relocate for a while but I can certainly visit more often than now which is often already. I like the relaxed atmosphere in the beach communities and will find a place on the North Coast. I have met many great people and tons of real friendly expats in Sosua and the rest of Puerto Plata.

While it isn't for everyone I think it can be for me on at least a part time basis.

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
This term is used by SD street-wise people to insult those they just left behind in the class system. Those that are born with class would never use such an offensive term against an human been. One is born with Digidad it can't be acquired with money, it not sold in stores or taught in school.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Jan

This resturant owner has a pretty short sighted view of the world and his business. He would be wiser to invest in good employees and retain them.

However, I would have to argue that the man is under no obligation to train his employees. Its not his responsiblity to do so. It might be smart, but its not his responsiblity.

There are teaching institutions in the DR that will train professional waiters. If from no other source decent manners can be picked up by watching TV.

If his employees wanted to they could figure out how to give good service on their own, on their own expense and time, and then switch jobs.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was just using that to prove that it seems to me that the people that have money like it when they are superior to the ones without. By keeping them stupid and poor. This way the people with more can have someone wash their car,take care of their kids and their dirty laundry. All the while being grateful to the person thats paying them..and not even paying them enough to live.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Salomon

You are wrong!!!! Upper middle class American families cannot afford a chauffeur and a maid in the United States. You would have to have an income sufficient enough to spare. Remember, chauffeurs are not shoe shine boys. They earn good salaries in the U.S. In addition, to meet the standards I mentioned, you are required in the U.S. to pay social security, medical insurance and benefits, meals, uniforms, and many other related expenses.

I venture to say that to hire both you would need an additional budget of $60,000 dollars or more. What upper middle class family in the U.S. can afford that? That is besides keeping their children in the best private schools with the same social demands required of Dominican kids in the same situation and paying for their mortgaged life.

Have you seen birthday parties for our middle class? Have you seen our weddings? Our quincea?eras? Some of you people need a course in Dominican "comparoneria". You people are not realistic. This is DR!!! Wedding cakes are built by the yard and cubic inches.

American upper middle class cannot afford the private clubs in the U.S. that our children can.

Salomon, for the Dominican upper crust spending their weekends in their Miami vacation homes is commonplace. The Swiss Alps are full of Dominicans skiing. We are not all Julio Iglesias, but Julio Iglesias did not come to the Dominican Republic to rub shoulders with the Montecarlo set. He came here to rub shoulders with the Dominican set. We got plenty of them that can match wallets. You certainly don't know how much money flows in this little island.

You think Bill Clinton likes Punta Cana because he wants to see Germans and Italians? He comes here because we got people that can blow them away. Clinton did not have to spend a dime to stay here. Plus he left with his pockets full. He also wants to come back for more.

I think you ought to stop being so jealous of what we have and begin to save so you can own a piece of this land.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Jan.

You better go to a hospital! Your heart is bleeding!
Name me one "Rich" person who is keeping anybody stupid and poor?
What do you want? Should I pay my gardener $50K a year just so you won't feel guilty? If he doesn't like what I pay him he can always move on. NOBODY is stopping him!
I have no qualms with helping the less fortunate. By less fortunate I mean the mentally or physically ill and handicapped. But I have no sympathy for any able bodied person who does not help themselves. It may sound callous but nobody said that life was easy.
BTW. I know what it is like to be poor and down on your luck. It sucks. But I made a conscious decision to make my life better. I just pushed aside all obstacles. Racism, Finances, competitors. Nothing slowed me down. I demand no less from anybody else.

Tony C

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Golo, my dear friend

Isn't this what you said previously and I quote: "Economic status (what you call being rich or poor) is a relative thing."

Yes they do have chauffer! Or haven?t you heard about car service. IT is one of the benefits of the American way. Dominicans have to buy the car and do the hiring and hope for the best. Here in America upper middle class have secretaries, bellboys and front desk people to get them what ever they want whenever they need it. Sometime these people even wake up with the desire of driving one of their cars. Maybe the Mercedes, Not the 25K Jeep you keep on talking about. But of course here they also have the Jeep, but only when they are traveling with the family?for the safety of the little one of course?

Maybe you thought I said middle class?NO, I said upper middle class. Golo, you should know that between mid and upper mid there is a big difference here in America. Oh please, my sister is Mid/class (both she and Husband work) and she has a live in nannies/housekeeper. Remember, People here have cleaning service because in the US it is not necessary to have a house cleaned every day. Why have somebody do a service for you if the service is not needed everyday. It is a waste of money if you ask me.
One thing is for sure, Dominican's love to spend their money to stand out in Society. Here in the US, Upper MId like to have the 5 Million bank account. The other Millions, they like to keep in their 41K, oh, but let's not forget their few million dollars insurance they have for their children in case of death...
Come on Golo, You are smart, think about it....

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Salamon

I live in the US, I am upper middle class and I live in a high end neighborhood. A full time chauffer, gardner and a maid a beck and call is very different from a car service in 20 minutes, maid service once a week and doesnt cook, and lawn service..

Who cares about the exact dollar amount in the bank account, what matters is what lifestyle you can support and what you can buy with it..

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am lower upper middle sideways fuddle-butt no-class , gum chewing, bachata loving, rice gorging, bean fartin', 5 year old shirt wearing, mondongo smelling chopo!!!!!!!

wheeewww!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.