Is it just my connection?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The message board has been running very slow for the last couple of days. I cleared my cookies but still the same. Is anyone else having this problem?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
About normal for me. No particular problems, though I know from experience what you mean.

Board speed

running fine on this end, cleared cookies and it is still slow, could be an ISP connection problem, check the tiny computer in task bar to see what your connection speed is. You could also clear your history and reset it to 1 day, might help.
There are also some tweaks that can be done to computer to speed it up but I'll let you know about them later Anna. I am on a dial up with a 56 K modem and it is working at 54666 which is extremely good for over phone lines.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It has been fine till the last couple of days. Yes I always have my history at 0 days but it does save one day. Thanks for the help. Will see if it improves. By the way, again have a great trip Wud.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Simple Fix

Anna, this has worked for me in the past.

Sort of like housecleaning. Check your computer programs for Accessories/System Tools/ for Disk Cleanup or Scan Disk depending on the Windows version you have. Run the programs. Then do a Disk Defragmentor in same System Tools folder. It will help speed your computer up. Regards, PJT

P.S. Liked your bruja outfit.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the help. I did the defragmenting. Works much better now. I found out the hard way that it's faster to defragment when all the icons on the task bar are disabled, turned off, including the screen saver. I had it running all night and it was still running at 8 am. It kept starting over and over. So I disabled everything and it was finished in about 40 mins.

PJT. I love Halloween. That picture was taken last Fall at the drop in centre for teens. I volunteered there for three years.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Witch Connection

Anna, great that the PC is working much better and accolades to you for your work in the teen centre. A note for our friends in the D.R., Anna is a good witch. Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna,

I use a free program that defrags computer. It automatically shuts down everything that is running, defrags, then restarts computer. Works great and significantly reduces time required to defrag. If you are interested, I'll let you know where you can find it.

Ken

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That sounds good Ken. Let me know when you find out the name of the program. PJT maybe that should be my nickname.Good Witch of the West. Robert how do I do that? The one that goes under the name.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna,

Check out Power Defrag 2.00 Lite (freeware) at www.powerdefrag.com. They will be releasing version 3.0 in not too distant future, but no reason to wait. I have used Power Defrag 2.00 Lite and can recommend it. Greatly reduces the time required to defrag because it turns off the running programs that otherwise cause constant restarts of the defrag process.

Ken

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken.
Thanks I dowloaded it and it works great. It did close everything and then it restarted the computer again when it was finished.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Glad it helps. Because it is fast and easy to use, I routinely defrag once a week. Start it before lunch or breakfast and it will be done by the time you finish.

armin

Jan 8, 2002
Defrag

I thought defragmenting the computer was for the speed of the computer,not internet, but if you almost dont have any space left on your hardrive,it is smart to do a derfag.If you have plenty of mb or Gb of free space, i dont think its nessesary to a defrag.
I had a couple of troubles with my connection, it always got disconnected, and needs to reconnect, i have to reconnect like every 5 min, that is ignoing, did i write this right? (Ignoing)
Codetel sucks, hope they will get some fiberoptic cables here soon.

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Yea! Saturday and Sunday were h*** on the 'puter. Codetel must have been working on something bacause this morning(Monday) all seems well again. But it was so frustrating! They should send out an email to tell people so they don't think something is wrong with their 'puters.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Codetel

Jan, forget about Codetel sending out an email about anything. It requires a committee to decide what to do and the committee never meets. They are so disorganized, they can't even do directory assistance right. See Hillbilly's post about "Phone Books" in the Travel threads. Regards, PJT