First Trip to the Dominican Rep....

Bismarck

Apr 20, 2002
Just curious if any of you well travelled types have any tips on what to see and what to avoid.

I am staying in Puerto Plata but was looking forward to seeing some of the more historic sights. Then I let my friends get to me and they started suggesting I stick to the resort. Saying some locals will try and mug ya, the police are corrupt etc. I know that everyone has there own view on things, I was just wondering if you can shed some light on what to see and what to avoid.... other then the water ;)

Bismarck

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Get Out & See the Area

By all means leave the hotel area and get around. Take normal precautions (e.g., don't flash sums of money, avoid areas that look unsavory--as you would anyplace, don't walk off and leave your camera or other valuables unprotected, etc.) and you'll be fine. Resort areas often let guests think it is unsafe to leave the hotel complex because they want you to stay close and spend your money with them. (Unless you are in an all inclusive resort. Then they might encourage you to leave.)

I live in Sosua and have spent a lot of time in Puerto Plata. Feel safe on the streets.

Take a look at Sosua and Cabarete, also. Both easily and inexpensively reached by public transportation.

Enjoy your visit!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to worry

Unless you go around with a big diamond pinky ring and a bunch of gold chains, and a fat wad of 100s, there should not be a worry in the world.
Now, if you are the above type, just hire one of the guards at the front gate to accompany you wherever you go...and again, no trouble.

I think there is a post just below here where I suggest using a local bus that passes by the hotel gate every few minutes.

Do it. Hook up with some of the locals. Live a little. Get in touch with Tim at Cafe Cito, or Noelle at Sofy's B&B or Grahame (in the book)..All good folk...

Have a ball,

HB

Last edited:

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I have spent lots of time in Puerto Plata and never felt threatened at all! As a woman I wouldn't hang out alone wandering the streets at night, but hey, I wouldn't do that at home in Boston either, so I guess it's about as safe as the US in my experience.

P.S. The corrupt police thing may actually be correct though, depending on the situation. Keep the equivalent of 5-10 bucks in your pocket, ya never know! Or better yet, don't break any laws.