Attention NoMoreSnow (Re Nannies)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm afraid your question never got answered. The regular posters got off on another subject.

You asked about professional, English-speaking nannies. I live in Sosua and am seeing signs posted advertising the services of at least two professional nannies. I believe they are British. In their signs they indicate they are experienced as nannies and have nursing and first aid skills. If this is of interest, I'll try to get more information for you.

The Sosua area also seems to meet your requirements for the north coast, close to an airport. The Puerto Plata airport is only a few miles away.

No matter where you live, you can probably find a girl that speaks some English to work for you. But she will not be a professional nannie and English will be the second language. The nannies that are advertising are the only ones I have ever heard of in the Dominican Republic that might be called professional and truly English speaking.

NoMoreSnow

Apr 10, 2002
Thanks for your reply. I guess I should have explained what I meant by the term "professional". I was hoping to find someone who was native to the DR but would be able to provide child care/supervision at a standard equivalent to that of North America. I travel internationally for business purposes and would have to leave my children in their care for extended periods and I would have to be sure that they are mature and responsible enough for this task. I am actually looking for 2 nannies and both positions would be live-in.

I would prefer not to use a foreigner in the DR as that would be like travelling with my own nannie here from Canada.

Any ideas on what the costs for nannie services are?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I checked the notice that is posted. They are two Canadian girls. They indicate they are available day and night, so assume they would live in. They indicate that between them they have degrees or experience in police work, sociology and nursing. I don't know what they charge but can send your their phone number if you are interested. However, they are Canadian rather than Dominican--but do seem to meet your requirements with respect to maturity, experience, and responsibility. Finding two comparable Dominican women would be very difficult.