What can we do?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Despite all of our differences and bickering, most posters on DR1 have an affection for the Dominican Republic. Is there any way we can channel our energies into something constructive?

What is each one of us willing to do to make the DR a better place?

For those of you living in the DR now:

1) lets start a for profit school
2) lets start a non-profit school
3) lets educate the farmers
4) lets find some high tech talent in the DR and start a company
5) lets come up with a very cheap way to filter water
6) lets examine every facet of everyday DR life and find better and more efficient methods

Within the next 5 years, I will take matter into my own hands. I am looking for others who also have the motivation,time and resources. I am not necesarily talking about charity. Free enterprise can work in the DR.

Will someone please tell me if I'm being too naive?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That's a great idea Mondongo. All this wasted energy could be put to good use I'm sure. What about people that don't live there yet. Maybe kids could have excess to some of the DR computers and they could write to us in order to learn English. We can call it " Adopt and E-mail child." Lets come up with more ideas.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Anna...thats a good idea. The first step toward that would be to get the schools in the DR equipped with PC's in the first place. I'm sure that there are many people in the USA/Canada who have old PC's which they would be willing to donate. The main problem is of course getting them to the DR. A second problem is equipping them with Spanish language software. I wonder is there is a way to find cheap/donated (free) transportation from the USA (say Miami) to the DR. The next obstacle would be, of course, the DR customs.

It doesn't take that many people's help to make this happen. If we had a volunteer for each of these steps, it could be made a reality.

O&C: I have faith that many people on this board are willing to help in their very unique way (including golo).

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
mondongo said:
4) lets find some high tech talent in the DR and start a company

If I were to take this suggestion and start a company, I think I would develop a safe and cheap way to generate solar electricity for urban and non-urban use. There are some positive factors in favor of this including:
1. high energy costs
2. frequent outages
3. poor quality of electricity in some areas
4. complete lack of availability in some areas
5. the DR is a great candidate for solar use thanks to its climate

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's a great idea but.....

You'll have to overcome some very large obstacles.......
1. Attitude - most Dominicans I've met (upper class excluded) don't want to be told by anyone how they can "better" themselves,their "methods", their business, their living conditions. The response you get (as was posted in one of the threads is "This is MY country" - "you can't tell me what to do"-"if you don't like it get the f**k off my island".
2. Corruption - it's rampant. We bring a suitcase of medical supplies every time we come. We've learned that in order for it to do some good for the poor intended we take some to the local clinic and we've found a local Dr. who sells the expensive stuff to tourists (at inflated prices) and uses the proceeds to treat her poor patients.
3. I help teach children English and bring books for them (but it's a one on one to make sure they actually benefit).
4. We have a friend who raises maney every year to help someone in need. Last yr. it was a teenager in Consuelo who had been hit by a train and lost several limbs. She had him sent to Miami for artificial limbs and this year she provided him with a computer so he can finish school and learn to earn! In previous years she's built two houses for poor people in block,helped with cancer treatments for another person etc.Again it's all one on one to be sure the benefit actually goes to the person most in need.

As far as computers go I have one I'd be willing to donate. It can be carried through customs with no duty whatsoever.I'm sure Microsoft would be willing to tap some of it's partners for Spanish software if it means they might have a larger customer base for their products. (I might even talk my son -who works for Microsoft- into doing some recon for us!).
I like the solar energy idea, however I believe the panels might be too expensive for most to employ. I know our building had solar water heat and we eventually removed the panels because of the problems with them (constant blockages due to dirt in the system from the well, rusting out of components due to salt in the water and air etc.) It certainly would be worthwile investigating.

Ambiorix Paulin

Apr 7, 2002
www.geocities.com
The first problem is that affluent people, such as ourselves, are too busy talking about what can be done instead of going out and doing it. The second is that an "intelligent" person can think that computers will help people who as MommC points out still lack the basics. I'm still young (21) and in college but when the time comes I will build schools and do my part to provide better healthcare for the millions who need it.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I beg to differ.......

I for one have always done what I could both here at home in Canada and when I'm in the DR.
I've volunteered for many "causes" to help those less fortunate (even when I was ONE of the less fortunates!).
Even Golo in a convoluted way does his bit.......
If you've read through a lot of the threads here you'll find that we almost all agree that education is the most important thing in alleviating poverty and not just "school" education but education in basic life skills, hygiene,sanitation,parenting,conservation, etc.
Also in basic cause and effect....

Isaac G

Jan 19, 2002
I have an idea!

Being an American by birth but a Dominican at heart and by
choice if such a creature exists. I would say education is
key we all should strive to stamp out gov't corruption
abd encourage more of the populace to vote and be heard
as a means by which to bring about positive change.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
FOOD

14 years ago, home canning was unknown in the DR. Remember "Mason Jars" and home canning what you grew?

Is that still the case? If so......WHY?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I am going to start a Limited Partnership and begin a charter Airline service from the US and Canada to the DR.

Will be leasing a Boeing 737-20 from Delta Airlines.

RT fare is 299- US leaving in the Mornings from both US and Canada. Returning in the Early evening to the US and Canada.

All flights are NON-Stop and will take only 3.5 to 4.25 hours. Food will be Dominican Fare and the ONLY Beer is going to be Presidente and the ONLY wines will be from Napa and Sonoma.

Shares are $20,000 US each and you get 2 FREE RT ticket every year as a dividend. No blackout dates. First come first served.
Shares will be saleable on a secondary market which will be available on our web based booking website. 5% of the profits will go to worthy causes in the DR.

Will start flying into Puerto Plata from NY, Montreal and Toronto and then 6 months later into Santo Domingo.

Anyone want to buy shares? Mondango?

I have "Hats off to Larry" playing in the background. Man how much better can my fantasy get?

Regards

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can I subscribe????

For the initial IPO?
Of course as a shareholder I would request that you add a wine or two from the Niagara region. They do have a few noteworthy ones (don't ask me which ones....I make my own!!).
Also the cargo area of the plane could be used to transport all those computers and medical supplies and food aid! (We will still limit allowable luggage to 20 kilos (44 lbs.) plus a 30 kilo sports bag won't we??)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why don't let thing go the way there going and in 5 years become an extention of Haiti

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I like what I am hearing

Just a thought on the computer issue - one way of getting the computers into the country could be component by component. It's cheaper to buy the individual components such as motherboard, harddrive, etc and assemble them once they're in the country...assembling the computer can be incorporated into the lesson plan. Another approach would be to make friends at customs and plead your case, let them know exactly what we're trying to accomplish. I still believe that there are some geniuinly good officials would be willing to help.

Mondongo are you an engineer?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
whoa, jazzcom, get me signed up for the next flight!

Thanks for starting a good thread, Mondongo!

This is why I posted info on Orphanage Outreach (www.orphanage-outreach.org) before, because all of us on this board have one thing in common for one reason or another - the DR, and so we should all be interested in helping out and coming up with ideas. Seeing something positive for kids and everyone come out of this network of smart people would be fabulous.

As far as PCs go, OO is looking for some both for the kids and for the office of at least one orphanage to help them with their paperwork, etc. I believe that the director has a way to get the PCs down there, possibly with a volunteer that is coming for the summer program, or fall. Since the organization focuses on bringing teams of volunteers to help out hands-on with the kids, there are lots flying in from all over the US and Canada, so I'm guessing there would be someone coming from an area near you! Mondongo - were you able to get any info about this from an email to Tom? Let me/us know.

Also, my personal dream is to start a library at the orphanage in Esperanza (Hogar Buen Samaritano). Since I'm abroad this year it's a little hard, so I am planning to start working on it when I get back to school in Sept. I am going to try to start through some contacts to Dominican authors I know (Julia Alvarez teaches at my school) to see if they can help me find ways to come up with funding/ideas. If anyone is interested in helping, let me know. I just remember being there and seeing so many kids that liked to read (especially in older grades) but didn't have a place to borrow books and so therefore read the same ones over and over, and were dying for new ones... If anyone knows of a place where I could get children's books (for a low price, or donated) in Spanish that would be great too. I actually just bought some at a book sale here in Spain, it is national book week, I am going to ship them home nad then take them down on my next trip. I had a contact at Houghton Mifflin but then they got bought out so I'm not sure if that still stands. Anyway, if anyone can help, it would be great.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Mondongo, i will give you a used PC. Its broken for the time being but i will fix it.
Count me in.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
DrTechie that is a good idea about bringing the components in separately. How easy or difficult would it be to get the cases and monitors? That would save a lot in both shipping and carrying it in.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey.....

Guess some of you missed the line in my previous post that says computers and computer equipment can be brought in duty free. I know this applies if brought in personally (as in when you arrive) however I'm not sure if it applies to computers that are "shipped" in.
I'm feeling lazy today (not really -just swamped with work that needs doing) so someone run a search in the news archives 'cause there was a piece in a paper about it! Could have been on the site here or might have been one of the paper ones I read while in the DR but I did read it-just didn't pay too much attention at the time.
I bring my laptop with me every time I come and have never had any problem-have also brought parts for a desktop for a freind.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
MommC.

If you can E-mail me with some info on a legit organization or School in the DR I can talk to a friend of min who might be able to provide 20 or 30 refurbished IBM PC's

Tony C.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
great ideas

TonyC: talk to Bugsey34. She volunteered for an orphange that is looking to set up a computer lab. That would be tremendous.

lhtown: solar power is a good idea. Are you in any way involved in that indusrty? Lets find out more about this topic: 1) is it already in use/develpment in the DR? 2) is it an efficient use of land area? 3) how much power per square meter of solar cells can you get?..etc...Do you want to look into this, lhtown?

MommC: if you get the chance to ask your son about Spanish version of Microsoft software, that you be great information. Thanks for volunteering your old PC.

Ambiorix: are you studying in the DR? If you dont mind my asking, what are you studying?

Isaac: how should we "get out the vote" in the DR?

bichondad: home canning makes sense especially where there is no refrgiration. I dont know if this is being practiced in the DR.

DRtechie: I like the idea of not only donating the PC's but also developing some knowledge about the PC's also. Maybe we can get some of the university students to donate their time and make sure that all these PC's are in working order. For some of them, this could give some real world experience and possibly even a career path. BTW, I am I.C. design engineer for a semiconductor company.

Bugsey34: I did contact Tom at O.O. We have exchanged a couple e-mails but nothing has come out of it yet. Maybe I'll just give him a phone call. Keep me posted on your library idea.

AZB: thanks for offering your old PC. Let us know when you get it working, because Bugsey might be able to put it to good use.