Spanish Schools In Santiago

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Hello,

I'm desperate. I am looking for schools where I can learn spanish. I am coming to Santiago mid-June (about the 15th) and can't seem to locate any schools. Is there anyone out there who can be of some assistance?

I know there are schools in other cities, but I will be in Santiago for most of this trip (excepting some personal travel time), and will need to locate a school there. I don't need college credit, but would like a good, intensive program to help improve my spanish.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

bomoma

Apr 25, 2002
Hi,

You could try the Berlitz institute. I think they could have a programm for this and if not there is like a little private institute who especialize in teaching foreigners Spanish and it's on Calle "Republica Argentina. Mayby I know another possibility of a private teacher I heard of who has been teaching other foreigners also.

Let me know if you want whatever more info, I can get into it.

Monica

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Thanks, Monica

Thanks for the reply, Monica.

I had looked into going to Berlitz, but their site didn't list any schools in Santiago. I would prefer an institute with intensive courses in reading, speaking and writing Spanish. I wonder if the private institution you mentioned provides those services.

I am trying to strike a delicate balance between classes that are very good and intensive, and classes that are not too expensive.

Thank you for your help. Do you by any chance know the name of the little private institute? Maybe I can contact them directly to ask about their prices and course offerings.

Thanks again,

Claire

belzwhipo

Feb 27, 2002
Spanish

Hi

My name is Les from chicago and I work at a local University in Santiago teaching math in Spanish. I could probably arrange as many hours a day as you would like either at the U or with studentsh. Let me know
belzwhipo@hotmail.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hipolite, you are getting ahead of yourself

There is a Berlitz here in Santiago, there are othere institutes that will teach you and there will be total immersion that will rock you.

Depending on where you end up staying, you will be subjected to continual bombardment of Spanish. You will be exhausted by day's end, because your brain will not have taken in 20% of what your ears have picked up.

Take it easy. You know where to find us, and you will get your classes...Slow down...

HB

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
once a planner, always a planner

First,

Les, thanks for the information on schools. I've sent you an email to the address you listed. I hope we can work something out.

Next,
Hillbilly,
I guess it does seem like I am getting ahead of myself, but it is my goal of the summer to have some spanish immersion. I'm a science teacher here in the US, and our school has a growing population of spanish-speaking students. In fact, I currently have 3 students in my mainstream classes with limited-English proficiency. I speak enough spanish to keep them on track, but things would be better if I were more comfortable with speaking the language (including scientific Spanish - which is luckily very similar to scientific English. Gotta love that latin basis for the sciences). Our school district just had a $30 million budget cut, and among other things, they have cut our bilingual budget. Right now, I'm the only person certified in science at our school with interest in getting bilingual certification. Without bilingual classes, students get held back until they can speak English well enough to be mainstreamed. Not a fair proposition in my mind.

Beyond that, I am a planner. I need to know where I am going to stay, where I will go to school, and as many other issues as I can control, before I go to the country of interest. It's somewhat of a defense mechanism because I tend to travel alone, but it's mostly a habit. I'm just compelled to overplan. If things change, they change, and I am surprisingly flexible, but I need to have a plan. Without that plan, my life seems utterly disorganized.

That said, I have to admit that rarely have I had a plan that didn't get changed somewhere down the line due to things out of my control. I can deal with that. Like I said, I'm flexible.

gaiazoom

Mar 2, 2002
Another school...

L'Alliance Fran?aise offers Spanish courses. I hear they are very good. You can reach them at 809 582 4989.

Buena suerte!!!

Gaiazoom