KAZAA packs "sleeping" ALTNET software!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
saburn.gif

Sleeping Altnet software has been bundled with the free Kazaa MP3 download software and is due to be activated in several (4-6) weeks time. Most computer users are not even aware that this software has been downloaded to their machines.
If you have downloaded the free Kazaa MP3 software please go to:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-875274.html
for more info and instructions on how to remove this Altnet software.
If you do not remove it before it is activated you could unwittingly face security risks as well as having your computer become a web server without your knowledge.
5.gif

DON'T BE CAUGHT UNAWARE!

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the Tip

I passed this info my fellow hackerrr ahh employee friends are apprecative Sammy

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No prob...Lilsam!

I remember a post on a music thread a while back talking about the Kazaa program and thought maybe some people on the board might not be aware of all they were downloading!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Altnet now alive and kicking.........

May help explain the "outbreaks" od spam........
While I am not too familiar with altnet it could be the source of lots of spam......
Are you using KAZAA? Did you remove the Altnet "spyware" that was bundled with it unknown to you when you downloaded Kazaa? :mad:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
KaZaa Lite

Hlywud said:
I agree with winmx being clean but not kazaalite, run a ad-aware scan after install, suprise.

The one file in KaZaa Lite that Ad Aware finds is there to fool the software into thinking the adware is present and in fact it is a dummy file for that purpose which is mentioned in the installation notes. KaZaa Lite has no adware.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Does anyone know//////

With AudioGalaxy facing court action just like Napster and eventual banishment if the net is there any danger with their software remaining in our hard disks?

TW

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Golo when napster closed down I moved all my music to another file. Not sure if they can remove anything from the hard drive but I didn't loose anything. I tried to get some Abba last night on AudioGalaxy but it's all restricted now due to copywright. (Abba that is)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:bunny: okie dokie

I love this bunny icon. If you don't know why I'll keep you guessing. Mommc ask your husband about my surname :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Kazaa

My kids downloaded and installed Kazaa in my home computer. Then they downloaded some "music" files, which basically destroyed my computer. I had to re-format the drive and reinstall everything from scratch. The only one I use is Audiogalaxy. The other ones are all riddled with viruses and spyware.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Don't have to Anna......my Italian is passable.

I used to keep coniglii in my yard and out at a piece of property my son had. I know how to prepare them a kazillion ways as long as hubby does the butchering ("course I only manage to eat the ones I buy in the supermarket! Don't know why just can't seem to eat the bunnies I've raised tho' I cook 'em for everyone else to enjoy!;) )

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Not sure if they can remove anything from the hard drive but I didn't loose anything. I tried to get some Abba last night on AudioGalaxy but it's all restricted now due to copywright. (Abba that is)

They (Napster or anyone else) can't take stuff from your hard drive without express permission. As to the ABBA songs, I just ran a search on http://www.winmx.com and found 1763 results! :) You may yet be able to download your songs via minmx.

I don't speak Italian at all, but your word "conigli" surely resembles the Spanish word "conejo".

Swede

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It does indeed Swede!

Both being Latin based languages the words are very similar and have the same meaning.......

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: It's my married name but I kept for for the sake of my sons.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I used the instructions and after getting the "successful uninstall" message, I searched for the additional BDE*(bde*) folder/files. There seem to be none.
Thanks for the information.

Kazaa Lite

from their site "quote"
There has been a confirmed worm going through the Kazaa network.
PLEASE READ NOW. KAZAALITE MORE THEN LIKELY HAS SAME BUG BUT WE ARE LOOKING AT A FIX .

A Worm rage in the Kazaa-Lite Network! Please read
the following:

http://www.kaspersky.com/news.html?id=738605
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=49790
I checked Kazaa this night, I saw tousand of people with the wormproblem!

IMO the infected wormfiles has in the name this things:
"downloader.exe" and "-full-" and a name of a Game or Movie.
But not only, there are many Filenames the Worm can have.

If you have the directory c:\windows\temp\sys32 with many wormfiles, then youve got the worm .

A real good piece of free software. LOL!!!!
puke.gif

I'll stick with winMX and be happy
Smilecrunch.gif