Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas?

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on getting from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas (Samana). I'm actually going to El Portillo for my first long weekend in the country but since we here at PwC work on Saturday mornings I can't make the bus provided by the resort. Also, I've heard that there aren't any other buses that go strait to El Portillo. Can anyone give me a hand?

Muchas Gracias!
Rachel

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Catch the 1, 2:30 or 4pm Caribe Tours bus to Samana and get off in Sanchez. There is also a Metro bus at 2:30pm. There you will have to take a private taxi from either bus station in Sanchez to Las Terrenas and the el Portillo Resort. The taxi will probably cost around $300-400rd. There is a public gua-gua that regularly makes the run but you may be too late in the day to catch the last one. Ask at the bus station.

For more information regarding Las Terrenas and the Samana Peninsula, check out www.samana.net

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Andy's details are corrrect, however, I would recommend against taking the 4pm bus. The earlier the better with respect to finding transport from Sanchez to Las Terrenas. If take the 4pm bus, it will be after dark before you get to Sanchez. The Caribe Tour office will likely be closed because there are no more tickets to sell that day and finding transport in a strange place in the dark will be more difficult. Leaving early is best, the sooner the better.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Call Air Santo Domingo. They have a flight that will put you walking distance from your hotel. The air strip is right in front of the hotel.