Help - Staying in Santiago!

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Hello Everyone. I am new to this message board, and this is my second thread. I've been lurking around the threads, and I find that people here are knowledgable and helpful.

I'm in need of some help in getting ready for my second trip to the Dominican Republic. I'll be spending 2 months in Santiago this summer, and I have some questions about things. I'm hoping someone on the list can help.

1) Is it easy to get internet access in Santiago? What companies are good? What about issues of power-outages (I work for a company that does document editing online, and would need to be able to send and receive work).

2) Any problems with travel to Haiti during my stay? (Anything of which I should be cautious?)

3) I'm still looking for language schools. I've been trying to contact PUCMM, as recommended in another post, but haven't had any success online.

4) Anyone know of a place where I can take cooking classes? I'd really like to learn how to make some of the things I enjoyed my last trip (including Mangu')

Many thanks to anyone who can be of assistance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Internet Access: Tricom or Codetel. Piece of cake, if you have a phone.

Power outages. Yes, of course, but they are manageable. Try and find a place that has an inverter or aux. generator.

Did you go to www.pucmmsti.edu.do??? You should get some response from them. If not, there are other options for language learning.

As far as cooking classes, they have some at Hach? just about every month. If not, I am sure some nice person will teach you....

HB, the ol' Santiaguero!

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
internet cafes are fairly easy to come by in Santiago too, and they have backup generators so nothing is lost...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Haiti.....

My understanding is that you need an entrance permit or some such to enter Haiti. We have a neighbour that usually makes one trip a year there. He used to have a place there before things got real bad years ago. It's been confiscated. He didn't go this year, I know last year when he went he told us he was lucky to get out alive...........??
I think you really need to investigate more before planning a trip there.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Best bet for reliable info about travel requirements for Haiti is the Haitian Embassy. Try the following link:

http://www.haiti.org/visa.htm

I've made several trips to Haiti, though none in recent years. I would think it safest to fly to Port Au Prince rather than attempt to drive across the border from the DR.

Swede

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Thanks for the replies! I will continue trying to get in contact with PUCMM, and when I arrive I'll check out Hache' for cooking classes.

Also, thanks for the advice on Haiti. I think I need to do more research into conditions there before I pop over the border. My family has roots there, which is why I wanted to visit, but I don't want to put myself in too much unnecessary risk.

Claire

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hipolite: Com'oma u ye??

I have a Haitian Night watchman that would be happy to take you across the border and a few haitians at the University (PUCMM) would also be glad to do a trip with you. that would make it safe. One of them is a cop in the new Police there...

get in touch with me and we can work it out.

Not the fanciest place to visit, but it has its attractions..

HB

hypolite

Apr 21, 2002
Hillbilly,

Thanks for the info! That would be great if you and they can help me out with the trip. I still plan on researching it a bit more, but I have time for that before I get there. I'm not arriving until June.

You seem to know the city well. I was there in early April to visit. Is it pretty easy to navigate without a car? I haven't driven in 13 years, and have no intention of starting again. I took taxi's all during my vacation, but I know there are cheaper ways to get around.

I was also wondering: is there any flamenco in Santiago? I've been studying flamenco (baile) for about 5 years, and would like to keep it up while I am in the in DR. Do you know of any teachers?

Take care,
Claire