Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rolex Repair - Help!

I dropped my Rolex and cracked the crystal. Don't yell at me. I know I shouldn't wear it here but I do everyday. I live here full time and enjoy my watch. Anyway, it needs repairing. Any helpful ideas in the Puerto Plata area? I could, in theory, send it back to the U.S. but I don't go myself so that would require relying on someone else to take it. Or I could send it by FedEx (insured) but then I'd have to have the jeweler send it back. Wouldn't someone want duties along the way. No critical comments please, but helpful ones welcome!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you would be much better off sending it back to a Rolex repair shop in the US. That way your sure to get your watch back with its original Rolex works inside. Once it's open they are really easy to trade out the movement with a cheap knock off.
    Good luck.

3. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet Rolex has some global situation you will fit into....

Ask them how to handle it.

I think they prefer their technicians to open their watches.... I think

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Consult with Joyeria Kelvin in Santiago, at the intersection of Feb. 27 and Bartolo Colon. They deal in high-end watches.

I had mine serviced when returning to the states at a Rolex service center. There may be one in Santo Domingo.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

6. Likes judypdr liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask here:

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...t/santodomingo

I would NEVER let anybody other than Rolex on Fifth Ave touch mine.

8. Likes judypdr liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am an avid watch collector, and never get any of my timepieces repaired, or when necessary tuned-up, within the RD. For reasons mentioned previously, there are just too many imitation parts on the market, as well as an excess of unscrupulous persons to deal with. I am fortunate in that I get to travel internationally reguarly, so my wait times for such services when necessitated are not infinite.
    Is the timepiece still under warranty?
    Are we speaking of a mineral or sapphire crystal?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Be very careful. I had a beautiful Swiss watch, vintage wind up, 14k case and bracelet. Not Rolex price but was almost 2K.  First day in Italy, half asleep, I forgot to take it off when I got into the shower. Movement was ruined beyond repair. Got home and took it to a “reputable” jeweler to have a quartz movement put in. Got it back with an entirely different face that had painted lines instead of the tiny 14K bars that marked the numbers. I complained instantly and, unbelievably, they told me if there is a different face they charge for that. I had no proof, had never occurred to me to take a photo before leaving it. 

Now......imagine what they could do inside a Rolex that you wouldn’t even see. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

11. Likes Caonabo, irishpaddy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic post deleted by moderator. No more warnings 
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 03-12-2018 at 03:04 PM.

13. Likes Hlywud liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Be very careful. I had a beautiful Swiss watch, vintage wind up, 14k case and bracelet. Not Rolex price but was almost 2K.  First day in Italy, half asleep, I forgot to take it off when I got into the shower. Movement was ruined beyond repair. Got home and took it to a “reputable” jeweler to have a quartz movement put in. Got it back with an entirely different face that had painted lines instead of the tiny 14K bars that marked the numbers. I complained instantly and, unbelievably, they told me if there is a different face they charge for that. I had no proof, had never occurred to me to take a photo before leaving it. 

Now......imagine what they could do inside a Rolex that you wouldn’t even see. 
    Also ruined an expensive watch that way -- almost
    Diving into the pool - I saw my wrist.... $2000 + to fix...

It's still waiting for me to dig that deep

nothing over $150 - 200 now...

As I said earlier... Rolex dealer only for fixups

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Ask here:

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...t/santodomingo

I would NEVER let anybody other than Rolex on Fifth Ave touch mine.

Well if that is a dealer they should send it to Genève. Rolex is not American, but still Swiss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast