Rolex Repair - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I dropped my Rolex and cracked the crystal. Don't yell at me. I know I shouldn't wear it here but I do everyday. I live here full time and enjoy my watch. Anyway, it needs repairing. Any helpful ideas in the Puerto Plata area? I could, in theory, send it back to the U.S. but I don't go myself so that would require relying on someone else to take it. Or I could send it by FedEx (insured) but then I'd have to have the jeweler send it back. Wouldn't someone want duties along the way. No critical comments please, but helpful ones welcome!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think you would be much better off sending it back to a Rolex repair shop in the US. That way your sure to get your watch back with its original Rolex works inside. Once it's open they are really easy to trade out the movement with a cheap knock off.
Good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bet Rolex has some global situation you will fit into....

Ask them how to handle it.

I think they prefer their technicians to open their watches.... I think

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Consult with Joyeria Kelvin in Santiago, at the intersection of Feb. 27 and Bartolo Colon. They deal in high-end watches.

I had mine serviced when returning to the states at a Rolex service center. There may be one in Santo Domingo.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am an avid watch collector, and never get any of my timepieces repaired, or when necessary tuned-up, within the RD. For reasons mentioned previously, there are just too many imitation parts on the market, as well as an excess of unscrupulous persons to deal with. I am fortunate in that I get to travel internationally reguarly, so my wait times for such services when necessitated are not infinite.
Is the timepiece still under warranty?
Are we speaking of a mineral or sapphire crystal?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be very careful. I had a beautiful Swiss watch, vintage wind up, 14k case and bracelet. Not Rolex price but was almost 2K.  First day in Italy, half asleep, I forgot to take it off when I got into the shower. Movement was ruined beyond repair. Got home and took it to a “reputable” jeweler to have a quartz movement put in. Got it back with an entirely different face that had painted lines instead of the tiny 14K bars that marked the numbers. I complained instantly and, unbelievably, they told me if there is a different face they charge for that. I had no proof, had never occurred to me to take a photo before leaving it. 

Now......imagine what they could do inside a Rolex that you wouldn’t even see. 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Off topic post deleted by moderator. No more warnings 

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Be very careful. I had a beautiful Swiss watch, vintage wind up, 14k case and bracelet. Not Rolex price but was almost 2K.  First day in Italy, half asleep, I forgot to take it off when I got into the shower. Movement was ruined beyond repair. Got home and took it to a “reputable” jeweler to have a quartz movement put in. Got it back with an entirely different face that had painted lines instead of the tiny 14K bars that marked the numbers. I complained instantly and, unbelievably, they told me if there is a different face they charge for that. I had no proof, had never occurred to me to take a photo before leaving it. 

Now......imagine what they could do inside a Rolex that you wouldn’t even see. 

Also ruined an expensive watch that way -- almost
Diving into the pool - I saw my wrist.... $2000 + to fix...

It's still waiting for me to dig that deep

nothing over $150 - 200 now...

As I said earlier... Rolex dealer only for fixups

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I dropped my Rolex and cracked the crystal. Don't yell at me. I know I shouldn't wear it here but I do everyday. I live here full time and enjoy my watch. Anyway, it needs repairing. Any helpful ideas in the Puerto Plata area? I could, in theory, send it back to the U.S. but I don't go myself so that would require relying on someone else to take it. Or I could send it by FedEx (insured) but then I'd have to have the jeweler send it back. Wouldn't someone want duties along the way. No critical comments please, but helpful ones welcome!

My wife is back in the north coast this week. If you need any help...We could send it to Genève (we live in Antwerp now). We will be back in DR in may again. Think about it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There are two official Rolex retailers in the whole country, one at Blue Mall in Santo Domingo and another out in Punta Cana. They might have a within DR solution that will not ruin your watch, plus with the backing of Rolex.

Edited to add:

At the top of the website it says:

Only official Rolex retailers are allowed to sell and maintain a Rolex watch. With the necessary skills, technical know-how and special equipment, they guarantee the authenticity of each and every part of your Rolex and help you make the choice that will last a lifetime.

Official Rolex retailers in the DR: https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers...etailer=RSWI_16140&location=dominicanrepublic

The official Rolex retailer closest to the OP: https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers...ntodomingo.dominicanrepublic.rolexdealers.com

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thank you Fulano2...I am going to send it back to the states with a friend and worry about getting it back here once it's repaired. It takes several weeks ...more than a month! I've had to do it before with a different watch... :( Clumsy!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
There is a small strip mall opposite the new Plaza Lama in Santiago on 27 de Febrero that has a jewelers and a watch repair place. A friend of mine took his Rolex there for a service and then another time to replace a part. He bought the part himself online so that he did not get over charged for the price and then took it to the repair place. Both times took a couple of weeks but he was satisfied with their service. Not sure if they are an official Rolex repair shop though

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...broken sapphire crystals was the reason I changed to Tag Heuer,,, the rolex was was in the shop several times a year...the Tag Heuer has a recessed crystal, never broke one..........

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you Fulano2...I am going to send it back to the states with a friend and worry about getting it back here once it's repaired. It takes several weeks ...more than a month! I've had to do it before with a different watch... :( Clumsy!

I wanted to send you a link to another website which hosts a forum dedicated to timepieces using the same format as here on DR1, but I could not connect to this site last night. I now see that you have made a decision which works best for you regarding the timepiece, and I believe this to be the correct one.
So as not to cause a conflict with this web forum, I will PM you the link to the other for future reference.
Good luck.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
My favourite watch was a Seiko dive watch. I found it while cruising a lift line in the summer, checking the grounding at each tower at a large ski resort. That watch was bullet proof. I had it for ten years then lost it in bar fight in La Ceiba. So I bought an Omega dive watch about 1200 bucks, big stupid clunky thing, no ****, lasted about twenty minutes after a dive. Anyhoo the last watch I bought was a frickin Timex. I've dived with it, I swim with it everyday, 45 bucks.

However, a friend of mine's wife has this diamond encrusted Rolex that cacked. He took it to the watch guy in Charimicos and it was repaired in three days.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My favourite watch was a Seiko dive watch. I found it while cruising a lift line in the summer, checking the grounding at each tower at a large ski resort. That watch was bullet proof. I had it for ten years then lost it in bar fight in La Ceiba. So I bought an Omega dive watch about 1200 bucks, big stupid clunky thing, no ****, lasted about twenty minutes after a dive. Anyhoo the last watch I bought was a frickin Timex. I've dived with it, I swim with it everyday, 45 bucks.

However, a friend of mine's wife has this diamond encrusted Rolex that cacked. He took it to the watch guy in Charimicos and it was repaired in three days.

Dive watches can be peculiar little miscreants at times.
As yourself, I as well possess two economically practical Timex watches. One for while exercising, and the other for while performing routine household tasks. They serve their purpose well.

Status
Not open for further replies.