Advance Healthcare Directive - Need attorney

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I want to prepare an advance healthcare directive (with power of attorney if necessary) so that I can have a DNR (do not resuscitate) order in place among other things. I have two incurable diseases that will get progressively worse and a heart attack and/or stroke is a likely side effect of the medications I take now. My daughter will serve as my contact but she is in the U.S. I need an English-speaking attorney in the Puerto Plata area. If Guzman's firm is the best, that's fine but I want someone who has done this previously! Thanks!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The current reality even with the introduction of the 911 system, is this:

Should your heart stop, chances are very good that you will expire before medical assistance arrives. Portable defibrillators and CPR knowledge are not widespread and ambulance response times are a little on the long side of the equation. Arriving at a hospital here being unable to communicate is also an impediment to the best possible outcome.

It is important that medical personnel have access to your health insurance info and any DNR instructions long before a lawyer or a far away relative can deliver paperwork. I would suggest you formalize your instructions with the aid of an attorney here, communicate your wishes with relatives at home and a couple of "close" friends here. Keep a copy of all relevant documents in an easy to get to location and tell relatives/friends where that is.

Then go shopping online for some jewelry. Get a Medic-alert fashion accessory. Have Medic-alert note your DNR, contact information for those with access to your power of attorney/DNR documents here in the DR and the contact/Policy # for your health insurance provider the DR.

If you arrive unable to speak and are still alive, chances are good that the hospital will contact Medic-alert as lots of tourists have a bracelet so it's not something completely foreign here. This way the hospital can be informed of your medical issues, wishes and be directed to your local contacts who can provide the necessary documents and instructions when decisions need to be made quickly.

Your Power of attorney person should be someone local who would be available to sign the necessary permission forms at the time they are needed so that your instructions may be carried out expeditiously to prevent undue suffering and so that you do not experience a significant delay in receiving the treatment that is appropriate.

Sorry to hear about your illness. It's good that you are thinking about these matters before you experience them. Good luck, good health with many more idyllic tropical breeze days to come.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would start with Guzman
and they have US contacts... they are part of an association of international lawyers

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thank you. I'll probably be around another 20 years but I figure I'd rather be prepared since I have actual issues... :)

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Judy
an article from the NYTimes today.....you may need a subscription to read it

Directly to your question...
really good article...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/...latest&contentPlacement=9&pgtype=sectionfront

Yes, I saw that article. I am moving forward anyway. My daughter is on board and I've asked a younger son of a good friend here to be my local agent. He and my daughter will talk by phone and agreed and she can fly here if needed but I still don't know if it will help. I'm mostly worried about being able to refuse transfusions at some point if I get to the point of needing them every week. That would mean no quality of life at all. I guess I could always become Jehovah's Witness. I know they are allowed to refuse transfusions here! Thanks for thinking of me! Judy