Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prepaid cremation and other end-of-life preparations

Terrible topic, I realize, but I want to pre-arrange/prepay for my cremation and other end-of-life issues with a funeral home. I think all expat deaths require an autopsy and I want to make the process easy for my daughter and other family/friends. Anyone done this? Recommendation?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrible but inevitable and planning it ahead display personal responsibility to not leave the mess for someone else when it happens, because it will sadly.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest contacting Funeraria Blandino in Santo Domingo. They handle absolutely everything and are very professional. See www.blandino.com.do .

4. Likes judypdr liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, KateP...I couldn't remember the name!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the first time i got seriously ill here my MIL cheerfully told me: don't worry, i already bought you a cemetery space next to your husband

so yeah, you can arrange some of the stuff beforehand. blandino in SD has pretty much monopoly on dead gringos and they operate all over the country. another option of a company that does cremations is parque del prado, also in SD and also operating throughout DR.
    both of them offer pre-arrangement plans, so to speak:
    https://www.blandino.com.do/servicios/#prearreglo
    http://www.parquedelprado.com.do/planes/

7. Likes judypdr, cobraboy, Juan Bosch liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny that I have been thinking about this exact same thing as of late. Personally I want to be cremated here and have plans for a “Viking Funeral” here at the beach! Big party, flaming arrows…bla, bla bla. (My thinking is that cremation would be better than my body parts washing up on the beach). That said, do you think it would be advisable to have an “advocate”, preferably a Dominican friend, to follow through the cremation process? Cremation takes a lot of energy (read expense $$) and I would hate the thought of my body being dumped someplace, and some carbon ashes placed in an urn for pick up! No! really! I’m serious! Advocate thoughts?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by botemon View Post
    Funny that I have been thinking about this exact same thing as of late. Personally I want to be cremated here and have plans for a “Viking Funeral” here at the beach! Big party, flaming arrows…bla, bla bla. (My thinking is that cremation would be better than my body parts washing up on the beach). That said, do you think it would be advisable to have an “advocate”, preferably a Dominican friend, to follow through the cremation process? Cremation takes a lot of energy (read expense $$) and I would hate the thought of my body being dumped someplace, and some carbon ashes placed in an urn for pick up! No! really! I’m serious! Advocate thoughts?
    I'd be happy to drink rum, shoot flaming arrows, and dance on the beach for you. I'm more German looking, but but I could probably do a decent Celt imitation (minus the bloodshed, of course).

10. Likes botemon, Juan Bosch liked this post
    Brain Donor!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by judypdr View Post
    Terrible topic, I realize, but I want to pre-arrange/prepay for my cremation and other end-of-life issues with a funeral home. I think all expat deaths require an autopsy and I want to make the process easy for my daughter and other family/friends. Anyone done this? Recommendation?
    Where are you situated?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Somebody told me not too long ago they had prepaid their cremation, and it was 700 bucks. Sound familiar?

I was talking to my brother and mentioned it to him (He is a Funeral Director) and he told that would be rock bottom cost for a cremation.

He makes some serious money on Funerals.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Prepaying vs preplanning, especially in RD - Pre-plan by all means as part of your 'living will'.

I would not recommend prepaying under any circumstances, even in Canada and my BIL owns a funeral home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast