Prepaid cremation and other end-of-life preparations

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Terrible topic, I realize, but I want to pre-arrange/prepay for my cremation and other end-of-life issues with a funeral home. I think all expat deaths require an autopsy and I want to make the process easy for my daughter and other family/friends. Anyone done this? Recommendation?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Terrible but inevitable and planning it ahead display personal responsibility to not leave the mess for someone else when it happens, because it will sadly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the first time i got seriously ill here my MIL cheerfully told me: don't worry, i already bought you a cemetery space next to your husband ;)

so yeah, you can arrange some of the stuff beforehand. blandino in SD has pretty much monopoly on dead gringos and they operate all over the country. another option of a company that does cremations is parque del prado, also in SD and also operating throughout DR.
both of them offer pre-arrangement plans, so to speak:
https://www.blandino.com.do/servicios/#prearreglo
http://www.parquedelprado.com.do/planes/

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Funny that I have been thinking about this exact same thing as of late. Personally I want to be cremated here and have plans for a “Viking Funeral” here at the beach! Big party, flaming arrows…bla, bla bla. (My thinking is that cremation would be better than my body parts washing up on the beach). That said, do you think it would be advisable to have an “advocate”, preferably a Dominican friend, to follow through the cremation process? Cremation takes a lot of energy (read expense $$) and I would hate the thought of my body being dumped someplace, and some carbon ashes placed in an urn for pick up! No! really! I’m serious! Advocate thoughts?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Funny that I have been thinking about this exact same thing as of late. Personally I want to be cremated here and have plans for a “Viking Funeral” here at the beach! Big party, flaming arrows…bla, bla bla. (My thinking is that cremation would be better than my body parts washing up on the beach). That said, do you think it would be advisable to have an “advocate”, preferably a Dominican friend, to follow through the cremation process? Cremation takes a lot of energy (read expense $$) and I would hate the thought of my body being dumped someplace, and some carbon ashes placed in an urn for pick up! No! really! I’m serious! Advocate thoughts?

I'd be happy to drink rum, shoot flaming arrows, and dance on the beach for you. I'm more German looking, but but I could probably do a decent Celt imitation (minus the bloodshed, of course).

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Terrible topic, I realize, but I want to pre-arrange/prepay for my cremation and other end-of-life issues with a funeral home. I think all expat deaths require an autopsy and I want to make the process easy for my daughter and other family/friends. Anyone done this? Recommendation?

Where are you situated?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Somebody told me not too long ago they had prepaid their cremation, and it was 700 bucks. Sound familiar?

I was talking to my brother and mentioned it to him (He is a Funeral Director) and he told that would be rock bottom cost for a cremation.

He makes some serious money on Funerals.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Prepaying vs preplanning, especially in RD - Pre-plan by all means as part of your 'living will'.

I would not recommend prepaying under any circumstances, even in Canada and my BIL owns a funeral home.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The US Embassy has a good section on death of a US citizen here and what to do and also includes prices. Cremation starts at US$1,000 upwards - assuming that it is the same price to cremate any nationality! I suppose prices may decrease now that the Catholic Church have stated that Dominicans can be cremated as long as the ashes placed in consecrated ground. Scattering still not condoned.

https://do.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/

Matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When my mother -in-law died, one of Mr AEs brothers had everything covered by an insurance policy. I mean everything, from Blandino’s down to the laminated remembrance cards distributed at the 9th day celebration. 

I can try to find out more about it. 

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I'm in Puerto Plata but I'm pretty sure the cremation would be in Santo Domingo after the mandatory expat autopsy...regarding someone to be sure..another question by another poster, I don't really care. I'm also thinking of donating my body to a university medical program.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Prepaying vs preplanning, especially in RD - Pre-plan by all means as part of your 'living will'.

I would not recommend prepaying under any circumstances, even in Canada and my BIL owns a funeral home.

You would not prepay because you think they wouldn't honor the agreement? Or for some other reason? Just curious.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The executor or POA will carry out the wishes of the deceased...
including making sure that prepayments are carried

That's their job

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You would not prepay because you think they wouldn't honor the agreement? Or for some other reason? Just curious.

There is always that possibility, not suggesting it would occur, but could.
Generally the savings, once you reach a "certain age", of prepayment are minuscule.
Your executor 'should' be able to transfer funds to the funeral home. Have a separate bank account set up for this purpose.

Main reason for not prepaying - too many things can change here or in your homeland. It can be difficult to cancel or switch a prepayment plan.