Are there any average Joes' on DR1?

Mar 21, 2002
In a recent thread by Isaac Greene titled What is the Dominican Psyche I tell Loberto a little about who Onions and carrots is. It got me to thinking that if Goshmoe sorry I mean Golo would never have appeared on DR1 so many "rich folks" would have come out of the woodwork.

So I would like to hear from the average Joes' on DR1. Yes, those people who aren't wealthy. I want to hear from people from the working class. What do you do for a living?

For ex. people that have regular jobs. I don't want to make fun of anyone. I just sick and tired of hearing about everyone's wealth.

So please tell us about yourself cuz I think the greatest person is the average worker and his struggles. You can be from anywhere SD or any country. You can be a professional ora dishwasher.

Hopefully we'll get alot of replies and go against Goshmoe ways.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear Mister Mamadera

Many people will view this post,(As people enjoy a "Freak Show",or a car wreck!)but few will respond.This post is a childish "prank" to enlist others in your boring crusade against "golo","TW",who has continuously gotten,"the better of you",here on DR1.I don,t support either of you,but he makes you look like a "Pimple Faced Class Clown" on a daily basis.He is an "older man" who deserves your respect if nothing else!CCCwwwCCC

Mar 21, 2002
Dag, for real Criss

Why is it no one wants to know about the average Joe? Well if no one answers so what the other thread I started was amongst the ones with the most responses and most views.

Nanana-na-nana

But on a serious note, why doesn't anyone care about the average shmoe. I admire the plight and struggle of the worker. In England,France and your stinker country Holland the worker is paramount but in the DR he's just regarded as toilet paper. I don't like that atall. I wanted to hear what peopl have to say about that.

I guess you admire arrogant,pompous people like Goshmoe yet you don't come off as that type of guy. You seem to be a down to earth expat who enjoys simple things. So what gives?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What gives is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........

I left for Boston on the 12th.,and got back here on the 23rd (I abstain from sexual relations when I am not in the Dominican Republic,just as I don,t eat seafood if I am not in New England.I only enjoy the "BEST",no matter what!)and........., I have yet to have sexual relations here,so I am very "ANGRY"!To bad you are in Miami!Roses are red,violets are blew,I don,t need a "Mamadera",I want to screw!!!!!Criss.....nanannnnaaaaaaaanannnnannn..na..NAH!.....................................................You may "admire" the struggle of the worker,but you shoud not admire the plight!Maybe you could "recognize" the plight,while you "admire" the struggle!See,you ain,t such a "smarty pants" as you think you are!na aaannnananananananannnnaaa!cccccccccCCCCCCCCCcccccccccc

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Working man here

There are people on this site that are of the working class and I am one of them. I work for a lumber company loading drywall, plywood, lumber, etc. I work hard but I also attend college part-time because I have realized that I will never accomplish what I want without furthering my education. Many wealthy people have worked hard to get where they are at, instead of callouses they may have to deal with stess and keeping up to date in a highly competitive field. At times I am envious of those who are wealthy but eventually I will obtain what i consider my "American Dream." So whether a person is a manual laborer or a businessman, I tip my hat off to all of those who work and don't abuse Social Security and Welfare.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Keep your eye on the dream....Dale7

It's a "Canadian" one too but remember to plan for the future. I think you'll find most everyone here (with very few exceptions-O&C maybe being one of them) are working class. Some of us happen also to be wealthy now (tho' we weren't when we started out!!) because of hard work (physical or mental) and planning.
So really the question that starts this thread is moot!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
MommC, that question is mootie-moot.

When I get on the metro every morning to go to *work* it's always full. Average! It should be the other way around - it should be "average joes" (what does that mean?) asking "Are there any non-average people who don't work for a living?". But you don't see that question getting asked. It's a bit obnoxious really.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey Jane J......

You crack me up!! Isn't it time you got a new tag line???
How about Genius!!
Maybe you can figure out why O & C keeps setting himself up like he does???? I think he should have your tag line!!
3dtard3.gif

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Work fascinates me. I can watch it for hours!

I guess I am lucky. I am now the owner of 2 companies and I am a partner in a Not for profit fundraising organization yet I never wake up in the morning and feel that I have to go to WORK! I love what I do. I love the challenge and I love the benefits. I never understood the psyche of the 9-5 "average joe". I look around and most of my friends are the same way. Business owners or independent contractors.
I wonder why it is that some people are content to work 9-5 everyday for the benifit of others and some are like me. In my case I owe my father a debt of gratitude. It was him who instilled my indepentent streak.

Tony C.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
I'm an average Joe...

what do you want to hear from me? That you are better than me because you don't work 9 to 5 and your family has money? Most people on this board that are "well off" have it because their family "had it" before them. I work 9 to 5 for an engineering firm.
I would rather do free lance photography work, but because I have a daughter going to college and other obligations and responsibilities I need the "steady cash flow". Anyway, I'm still curious as to why you want to hear from us po' folks.

And Tony C....you wonder why some people are "content" to work 9 to 5 for the benefit of others. They are working for the benefit of themselves and their familys. If it wasn't for them, you independent contractors wouldn't have anybody to take money from. If you don't understand the "psyche" of the average joe, I would hate to be an employee of yours. I don't understand the
psyche of you "holier than thou" assholes. I'm just glad I'm not one of you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You guys are too much! To make me agree with Mommc is getting a little hard to take.

I have worked for 36 years of my life. I have done it all including shovel shit which I did by choice to get to a point of being comfortable and I did it for myself. When I first started out in business I couldnt afford a cup of coffee. Long hours, hard work, doing jobs that you wouldn't do, sacrafice and above all the WILL TO GET AHEAD.

If you think I am sorry for being comfortable now you are out of your mind. If you think I am going to apologize for NOT being a broke dope now you are out of your mind.

Go find another shoulder to cry on because it doesn't appear that you are going to find one here, even from those that HAVEN'T arrived yet.

Turkeys strive to be average Joes. People that think a bit more of themselves look for more in life.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Average Joe?

Onions:

Perhaps you ought to identify or describe what an "average joe" is. Are you confusing a chopo with an average joe?

If working 9 to5 makes an average Joe, then the whole world probably is average. Who here has not worked at least 8 hours a day sometimes during their life? I know I have. So what is the point here?

Do you want to know who the chopos are or A.J.s'?

A.J.'s are not necessarily chopos.

TW

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Oh my Gawd ESCOTT!!!

Now you're even beginning to sound like me!!! I started babysitting 12 hr days/nights when I was 11. At 13 I worked as a housekeeper for a bachelor who lived across the street. Man I hated Mondays.....no wonder I still don't handle vomit well...I sure cleaned up enoughof it from Friday,Sat. all nighters!!
As for the rest of what you said about not apologising (and having no sympathy) I agree 100 %.
If I could do it so can anyone who doesn't have a physical or mental handicap (those people I truly do sympathize with), can do it to.....You're right tho' "where there's a WILL-there's a way!!"

Mar 21, 2002
Guys don't get so defensive

Yes Golo I want to hear from the chopo-average Joe. I don't mean a 9 to 5 work schedule.Just hearing about the struggles of the worker, the types of jobs that people have. I wish we had more average Dominicans on the site so they could also tell us about their lives. Just plain average stuff. El chinero,el albanil,el carnicero, etc. Also would like to hear from middle class folks too.

I just don't like to use that word-chopo. It's derogatory like the N word for black people. AtlantaBob I hope I don't come across like that. I am not a holier than thou B.S. type. I just got sick and tired of hearing on DR1 and being caught up in the I have this, you have that syndrome.Just trying to change the pace of keeping up with the Joneses.

What does Hillbilly do for a living? Is he a teacher? I think AZB is a psychiatrist. Criss , I think he has an animal clinic treating goats,pigs and chickens. Is that correct? I liked the fact that AZB came to the DR and is succesful. That's good.You are resourceful AZB much like the chinese in the DR .

I am fascinated by the chinese in the DR. They come with nothin, not even the language and in a short period of time they have many things. They intrigue me. They always dress so simple and always are so quiet.Unassuming,average and they keep to themselves.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: I'm an average Joe...

AtlantaBob said:

And Tony C....you wonder why some people are "content" to work 9 to 5 for the benefit of others. They are working for the benefit of themselves and their familys. If it wasn't for them, you independent contractors wouldn't have anybody to take money from. If you don't understand the "psyche" of the average joe, I would hate to be an employee of yours. I don't understand the
psyche of you "holier than thou" assholes. I'm just glad I'm not one of you.
Bob,
When I said for the benefit of others I meant the employers. I see no reason to work for somebody else to reap the fruit of my labor!
As for working. I put in more time with my companies than most 9-5 worker does. I start usually at 6:30 am usually finish at around 7:00pm. Often times I work late into the night. Weekends also. I just don't really consider it work because I enjoy it so much. I know that there are people who work more hours than me and I salute them. And I commend your dedication to your family.
When My father passed away what little money that he had left went to my mom for her security which I am more than happy to supplement. While I do not consider myself particularly wealthy I am secure in the knowledge that I have earned every single dime I have. So next time you want to go on a jealous rant I suggest you pick a more deserving target!

Tony C.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Yes, I realize working for yourself, one has to put in a lot of hours. I did it for four years, working 80 hour weeks. Right now I prefer my 40 hour weeks with somebody else picking up my medical insurance tab, etc. But, jealous? It's hard to be jealous of you when I don't even know what you do.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Carrot Head"!

Take a tip from the Chinese!You won,t sound like such a "Jerk"!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC...PS. Your appointment has been cancelled,the pigs said they refused to be treated if you we allowed in!..