Malaria

White Zombie

Apr 24, 2002
Hi All,

I live in England were it always rains :(

In June 2002 a bunch of us r going to a resort in Boca Chica! For some sun, sea, sand etc..........See England get their ass kicked in the world cup too!

I've had all the injections but the Doc reckons i need malaria tablets to. I've heard reports of bad side effects, is it too risky not to pop these pills or can anyone recommend a particular make to take???

How lethal is the Dominican 151 Rum???????

cheers.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Indeed the British Travel Health Page recommends the pills. http://www.doh.gov.uk/traveladvice/

But the US and Canadian government travel health web sections do not recommend the pills to tourists visiting the DR.

See http://www.cdc.gov/travel/ or http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/pphb-dgspsp/tmp-pmv/

Also note that with probably rare exceptions, nobody living in the DR takes these pills.

Physicians consulted to write up the DR1 Travel Health page at http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/health.shtml also do not recommend taking preventive pills.

Definitely go very easy on the Rum 151.

Sarah

Jan 1, 2002
communities.msn.com
My personal experience is ...

I'm from the USA and have visited the DR 20 times in 9 years, lived in the southwest (near Barahona) for a year from 1995 to 1996, take my young daughter with me often, she also lived there with me - we NEVER take pills, shots, etc. etc. for anything. All you need is Deet based bug spray & some good sunscreen! And oh, don't overdo it on the 151 OR the Presidente, for that matter!! ;)

Enjoy, Sarah

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
The DR is doing a much better job of mosquito control than before. I only saw one mosquito in my recent visit - obviously never had to use repellent.

As to the Dominican Rum, my advice would be to forget the 151 and instead opt for a bottle of Barcelo Imperial (Emperador). It was rated the number one rum in the world last year by Tastings. US$ 10 at the duty free at Las Americas. There are other excellent choices from Brugal and Bermudez also.

Swede

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
The first time I visited, I took malaria tablets, just to be on the safe side. The times after, didn't. If you will worry, take them, it doesnt' hurt to be on the safe side.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I would not waste the money or the side effects

Unless you are in the haiti border reason it is not required to start anti malarial treatment. Check with CDC or Health Canada and save the discomfort.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I too was encouraged to take anti malaria pills and I never did, and am fine. Dominicans who live in the US travel back and forth all the time without taking a thing! Obviously if you're going to be hiking or something, maybe you should take them to be on the safe side but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I agree that mosquito control is good in the cities... never got one bite in Santiago, but go out to nature in Jarabacoa and watch out! I got over 30 bites from the knees down only... dont forget the repellent like I did.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Health Canada's Updated recommendations

Since all mosquito bites in the DR are not maliria inducing ones, the risk has to be considered with appropriate advice: Note Haiti is in the low risk group of non Chloroquine resistant malaria. these drugs are powerful and can maake you feel quite poorly, have to be taken before you go and after you come back and are unecessary in areas of no risk.

Specific Country recommendation:

Where: All rural areas. Highest risk in areas bordering Haiti. Travellers visiting resort areas are generally not at risk and require no prophylaxis.
Drug: Chloroquine

Medications to reduce the risk of developing clinical malaria should be considered for visitors to the following areas:

URBAN AND RURAL AREAS OF

(Higher risk) ?sub-Saharan Africa (except most of South Africa), and Oceania (including Papua New Guinea, Irian Jaya, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu).

(Lower risk) ? Haiti, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Nepal (Terai region).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hummm.. From my almighty heights of some 40 years here, in all areas of the country, never a problem,

I would agree with Sarah (Is this Cool Sarah, all grown up>??) and certainly use some bug repellant, especially if you are going out in the country side or on a golf course. It is just common sense- perhaps the least common of all the senses!

Now, as to RUM. Barcel? Imperial is the #1 rum in the world.
Brugal and Bermudez are quite high up there, too.

The 151 is fire water and not good for drinking. Suggestion:
take a pineapple, peel and core it. Plug the bottom, fill to top with 151, refrigerate, re-fill as absorbed. Cut up other fruit and make a fruit punch. slice and cut up into bite sized pieces the Pinapple..
Place in the punch. Have beds available to catch falling bodies..

I would suggest that you try Brugal A?ejo also known as the Mallita pronounced "my yeeta" It is good, inexpensive and very easy to find at any corner store...

HB, the voice of experience....

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just my dos centavos.......

I have never worried about malaria in the Dr (been coming here for almost 14 yrs.)
What I do worry about is Dengue fever........it seems to be the lessor known of the two evils and potentially the worse of the two.
Have known several people who have had the mild form of the disease but in all the years I've been here had only met two that had the severe or hemorragic form until last year when I got the severe form....almost didn't make it!!
Dengue is also transmitted by mosquitos altho' from the "day"time active ones rather than the night active ones.
So follow the precautions for "bug sprays" and use them any time you're in built up areas. (I got bit in Santo Domingo!)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks for reminding me about bug sprays! My 1 1/2 year old is just too lovely - I'm sure all the mosquitos will be after him!

HB, I prefer a nice Extra Viejo. (You know I'm talking rum here, don't you?)

White Zombie

Apr 24, 2002
Thank you

Thanks Ladies and Gents!

You've all been most helpful in answering my questions. I enjoyed reading through replies and am really looking to going to DR. Think I'll stock up on the bug spray.

Might change the flight to a one way ticket!!!!!

:)

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:

Now, as to RUM. Barcel? Imperial is the #1 rum in the world.
Brugal and Bermudez are quite high up there, too.

I would suggest that you try Brugal A?ejo also known as the Mallita pronounced "my yeeta" It is good, inexpensive and very easy to find at any corner store...

HB, the voice of experience....

HB: My one regret after returning from my recent trip to the DR is that I didn't have the oportunity to meet you and share a beverage or three. Your tastes seem to parallel mine! Maybe next time; we're already planning our next trip for Feb or March 2003.

For those poor rumless souls who are stuck in the US, Dominican rums can be purchased from several sources. I buy Barcel? Imperial and Brugal A?ejo from Sam's Wine & Spirits in Chicago via the internet. Barcel? Imperial costs about $25 and Brugal A?ejo about $15. They deliver to your door via UPS. Here's the link:

http://www.samswine.com

Swede

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jane J.......

I know you know this but I thought it wouldn't hurt to jog your memory......
Health Canada has also released some guidelines for people using repellents containing DEET:

children under six months of age should not be using it
children between six months and 12 years of age should never have it on their face and hands
children between six months and two years should only use it when there's a high risk of complications from insect bites and only the least concentrated product should be used sparingly
for children aged two to 12 years of age, should use the least concentrated product and do not apply more than three times daily. Do not apply to the face or hands
for anyone 12 years of age and older: do not use any products with a DEET concentration of 30 per cent or stronger

Have a great time while you're there! Wish I was still there......sigh!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks MommC - I'll double check my repellant to make sure it has NO DEET in it! Yuck.

(Ya, I'm really looking forward to our trip too! Did I tell you we just marked our anniversary here in Canada? Can't wait to get back! Wooo hooo!)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually Jane J.

The repellants with DEET in them are the best!!
If it doesn't contain DEET it's not worth buying. As usual Health Canada is just being cautious (no shown adverse side effects from DEET) and are recommending concentrations less than 30%.
In fact by next year you will only be able to buy preparations with 30% DEET in Canada but for this year check the label.
Just follow the precautions above for use on small children.....
hey I used the stuff for years on my children (we were avid campers) and they are healthy,happy 6 ft 200 pounders!

As I said....ENJOY.......wish I was coming with you...It SNOWED last night....
Now that's a YUCK!!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Deep Woods or OFF

are what I usually used. Now there's a nice smelling one that goes on none greasy.....wait a minute......I'll run upstairs and see if there's any in the "grandsons" closet!

clock.gif

Ok ......puff,puff

It's Johnsons OFF Skintastic.
I always coat behind the ears and the back of the neck. In the little guy I do put it on his scalp also as that seems to be the mosquitos favorite target!