Advice / Help

rhodez44

Apr 24, 2002
Hello All,

My wife and I have been talking seriously about visiting D.R.
for the first time,in October.

I am skeptical about what I have heard about the place.
So, I have been doing research on various resorts and their ammenities.
My problem is, the reviews are mixed about all the resorts I visited.

My query is this, I want to stay on the southeast coast.

What is the cleanest,most honest,service oriented,valuable resort
on the S.E. coast,with a private beach?

Also, I had a hard time finding room rates and all inclusive package deal rates.

Maybe someone could help me there as well.

Thanks in advance!

Rhodez44
rhodietheroadie@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The hotel that comes closest to having a private beach in the DR is Casa de Campo that has Playa Minitas. They created that beach and the access is only through their property or by sea.

Note that by law all beaches are public in the Dominican Republic.

The reason why reviews are so varying is that people will have different degrees of expectation. The better beaches in the southeast are those in the Bayahibe area.

In the Bayahibe area, with the exception of the Ahmsa Marina Casa del Mar, all the other hotels run by Viva, Coral and Iberostar chains are located on the same beach stretch. It's about a 3-4 kilometer stretch that is walkable. There is a small area after the Viva Resorts that is used as a public beach (meaning it attracts more locals because it has parking space). Because this area is not populated, outside of the tourists staying at the hotels very few people will use the beach if it's not a Saturday, Sunday or holiday.

Lots of US/Canadian tour operators offer attractive air/land packages there. And you get to land into the new La Romana airport that puts you about 15 minutes away from your hotel. So that's a big plus. With the exception of American Eagle flights from San Juan, Puerto Rico there is no scheduled service into this airport outside of the charter flights. So suggest you visit your travel agent and see what they have available for this area.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You'd be OK with Hamaca as well

and it would be listed in dozens of tour operators' package catalogs as well. It is in Boca Chica, 10 minutes from the Santo Domingo airport. Notwithsanding the prvate beach laws, try to get on Hamaca's without staying there - you can't.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Casa de Campo Playa Minitas is probably the worst resort beach in the DR I've visited.

The beach at the Hamaca in Boca Chica (http://bocachicabeach.net/hotels/hotels_all_inclusive.html) is private, guarded by security on both sides, and FAR nicer than that in Casa de Campo (see http://geocities.com/jimhinsch/dominican_republic/trip_reports/casa_de_campo_97.htm). It may not be legal, but that's how it is. No wrist band showing you are a guest of the hotel, no entry.

I have snuck onto the beach at the hamaca by way of boat, but they always kick me out after a couple minutes on land. No wristband, you see.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I'm with Jim - Hamaca if you want All-In

Clean, nice beach, well secured, on packages very good price and all the food and liqour and beer you can stand. hamaca is better than Don Juan in Boca Chica as well only as the beach is private and Don Juan shares the public access beach. that said as long as you do not mind, DJ is a bit less expensive at times and has quite nice feedback.

By comaprison if you want to be beachside, avoid Dominican Bay/Old Boca Chica Resort, though nice is not actually on the Bay or the beach for that matter and has a long causeway to get to and from the water , not what , I think the tourist quite expects on arrival. it is very nice inside though.