Moving to Santo Domingo

Janeth

Apr 24, 2002
My husband, two year old son, and I will be moving to Santo Domingo in the beginning of June. I am Honduran and my husband is from the States. We will be posted in the DR working for an NGO for at least a year or two. We would like to rent a house, three bedroom if possible, in a safe, quiter residencial area that may have good access to super markets etc. I heard that many expats live in condos and apartments but we would prefer a house with a yard if possible to let our son out every once in awhile. we may be interested in a nice condo if there is a safe patio space or courtyard. We could probably afford to pay between 1,000 -1,600 USD a month for rent, of course the more bargain the better!

We are also interested in getting our son started ina play group or pre-school, preferably English speaking as Spanish is mainly spoken at home. We are also interested in gyms as my husband plays basketball and I exercise on a regular basis.

We are very excited about moving to the DR and have heard very good things about the country and the Dominican people. We have lived in Africa, South America, and Central America over the last few years and are looking forward to trying out the Caribbean and meeting new friends. If anyone could provide any information on any of the questions I have it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!