law for vacation money?

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
After more than one year working for a "SA" company in the Dominican Republic, I'm planning to go on a two week vacation.
My work contract says, that vacation / compensation goes with the dominican law.
Unfortunelety I couldn't find the web site of the "Secretario de Trabajo". But I heard once, that I will have the right of 14 (working) days vacation and that the vacation money has to be paid BEFORE I will go on vacation and not with my normal "quincena".
Is this correct? And if yes, can anybody tell me, where I can find this law confirming my opinion on the web?
(I'm expecting some problems with my employer, that he will refuse to pay for my vacation... that's why I would like to be prepared, when applying for it)
Thanks!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You are right, quaqualita. The pertinent articles from the Labor Code are below:

Art?culo 177.- (Modificado por la Ley N? 97-97, de fecha 30 del mes de mayo del a?o 1997) Los empleadores tienen la obligaci?n de conceder a todo trabajador un per?odo de vacaciones de catorce (14) d?as laborables con disfrute de salario, conforme a la
escala siguiente:
1. Despu?s de un trabajo continuo no menor de un a?o ni mayor de cinco, catorce d?as de salario ordinario;
2. Despu?s de un trabajo continuo no menor de cinco a?os, dieciocho (18) d?as de salario ordinario.
Las vacaciones pueden ser fraccionadas por acuerdo entre el trabajador y el empleador, pero en todo
caso, el trabajador debe disfrutar de un per?odo de vacaciones no inferior a una semana.

(Every worker has the right to a paid vacation of 14 working days, as follows: from 1 to 5 years at the job, the worker will get 14 days' salary; if more than 5 years at the jo, the worker will get 18 days' salary).

Art?culo 181.- El salario correspondiente al per?odo de vacaciones debe ser pagado al trabajador el d?a anterior al del inicio de ?sta, junto con los salarios que a esta fecha hubiera ganado.

(Salary for the vacation period must be paid to the worker the day before the beginning of the vacation, together with any salary earned up to that date).