Question to Trina?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
I think it was you who recently had her husband's son come to Canada from the DR via a charter flight.

What are the reasons that a Dominican child 13 years old cannot come to Canada with all the appropriate landed immigrant papers via a charter? What are the problems.

For the mother(Already legally in Canada) going through Miami is 3 times as expensive.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hi Fred

Yes, it was me. To tell you the absolute truth, I have no idea what-so-ever why they have a problem with this. I will tell you what I went through. I bought the ticket (return) here in Canada for our son (well, now he's my son). I phoned Air TransAt in POP to make sure it was going to be okay, and spoke first with an agent in POP. I wanted to speak with Lynn Lauzon, the manager, whom I personally knew. The agent told me that we were SOL because the Air TransAt agent in Canada shouldn't have sold me the ticket. "It is Air TransAt's policy NOT to allow immigrants to fly on our charter when they have not yet landed in Canada." So I phoned back to talk to Lynn, told her my situation, and she said she would see what she could do for me. I called her back in 2 days. She said it wouldn't be a problem, and if I had a problem, talk to Julio Pena at the airport, he would clear everything. They went through without a hitch, thank God, because Julio was not there at the time.

I had lots of advice to help me. Here are some things that you could do, although risky, it could work:
1) Buy a return ticket here, tear off the first portion to make it look like he took the flight down from Canada and was simply returning.
2) Phone Lynn Lauzon at Air TransAt in POP, maybe she will help 1-809-586-3486, and then you would only have to buy a one-way from POP to Canada, which is about $350 CDN. (Remember though, if the flight is sold out, they cannot sell a ticket)
3) Talk to Julio Pena at the airport, I am told that he is the one that makes the decision...I know of someone who brought her husband here by doing just that, after we brought Angelo here.

(All of this advice, assuming we're talking POP airport)
Best of luck...we didn't have any problems, and our son is loving living here with us.

Last edited:

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for the information, however, my advice to her would be to buy the ticket through Miami, when I comes to having my fate in other people's hands I prefer to take the sure route.

Thanks again.