Bahia de las Aguilas

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
From today's DR1:

"Bahia de las Aguilas development conflict
While the Tourism Department is pushing for the development of hotel projects in the Bahia de las Aguilas beach area, Minister of Environment Frank Moya Pons says any development there must obey guidelines in the Environment Law. Bahia de las Aguilas is located in the southwestern province of Pedernales.
Moya Pons told Diario Libre newspaper, ?We do not have any confrontation with Tourism. We are simply saying that the laws are very clear. This is not a jungle or a farm. The tourism developments, roads and any other type of development have to be carried out following the law.?
Ecologists oppose the development of hotels of any kind within the ecologically fragile beach area.
Bahia de las Aguilas falls within the borders of Parque Nacional Jaragua created in 1983. Environment Law 64-00 establishes that once created, the boundaries of national parks cannot be modified without congressional approval."

This is NOT a good idea. This is one of the most beautiful areas of natural beach in the DR. Because of the difficulty in reaching it, itis unpolluted and pristine. It should remain so. No problem with people visiting it and using the beach but I would not want hotels built there. Now from Cabo Rojo to Pedernales, that are id semi developed and would be a nice area for some limited tourist businesses, including hotels. Would not encourage an over growth of them. I spent many wonderful years in this area and would hate to see it overrun by unthinking tourists.

JanZ

Apr 10, 2002
Bahia de las Aquilas

I have been there to many times and still I am surprised by its beauty and the silence. Really a place to come to yourself.
From one part I understand the need of developing the region and to support the local economy, but why in the proposed way.
The only ones who will be better of the supposed development will be for a great part the touroperators and hotelchains.
Of course it is a positive development for the jobless ones who are there.
That is one.
But the other side is that the whole southwestern part of the country is a sleeping beauty and it it impressing by its natural sources as the mountains, woods, animals and the many species of flowers.
So be wise and focus on that and develop eco-tourism.
Look at countries as Costa Rica and Belize: they develop selective and it is as well as good for the local people and for the environment.
And because of this selective policy tourists want to pay more for quality, because the time of big developments is over now.
In stead of laying on the beach and all-in arrangements a growing part of tourists want to taste and to feel the real country so be wise and think of this: one big hotel is one but a lot of small cabanas at several locations like Pedernales, Enriquillo and other pueblos in the region are a lot.