Living in the Domincan Republic

christina15152

Apr 25, 2002
christina15152.rocks.it
What is it like to live in the Dominican Republic?? I know many people form there but they don't give me an accurate discription of life in the Domincan Republic.... As a red-haired female would I want to consider moving there??
(from what I know... Dominicanos like girls with red hair.. .LOL)

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
It would depend

on what area of the country you live in and what you are already used to.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
christina15152 said:
I know many people form there but they don't give me an accurate discription of life in the Domincan Republic....

Your post is confusing to say the least. Have you been to the D.R.? You need to have some knowledge of what it is like to live in the D.R. if you are saying the people don't give you an accurate description. You need to have some foundation for your statement.

Maybe you should backup a bit and rethink what you want to say. The posters will be waiting in the wings to help you. Regards, PJT

christina15152

Apr 25, 2002
christina15152.rocks.it
living in the Dominican Republic

Well, I know many minor league baseball players and I always ask them what it is like to live there... but I would like to have a descriptive awnser to my question...
I plan on moving to Santo Domingo....Hopefully with my "friend" Jorge..
Also.... what is it with the red hair thing?? Do they like red hair?? hmm...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Besides being generally of the lowest social economical sector, minor league ball players have very little to offer except the dream of being the nest Sammy or Alex or Pedro....

95% of the posters here will tell you to forget it.

You are but one chick in one city of that minor league....

Can he read and write? in any language? Can he write a check?
Can he fill out a Customs Declaration or a Port of Embarcation Card?

Of course if your "friend" Julio is not a ball player, maybe, just maybe, you have a chance....

HB, curmudgeon of the day....

What is it like to live here? Fantastic: If you jave a job, some culture and some money....Great place to raise kids....

In the Western Hemisphere, it is "check" according to Webster's..

but that wasn't the point..

Last edited:

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo is a big city. It is overcrowded, dirty, loud and hot. The traffic is horrible. The pollution is worse. Santo Domingo is NOT a tropical paradise. I'm not down on Santo Domingo, but it needs to be viewed through realistic eyes. I hope it is not the BEST the DR has to offer.

As for red hair, I have more than enough men hit on me (read:I'm getting sick of it) and I have brown hair.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
(from what I know... Dominicanos like girls with red hair.. .LOL) [/B][/QUOTE]

WRONG ...... Dominicanos like ALL girls & the more the merrier!!! Heed well what Uncle Hillbilly says, you will learn to appreciate these words of warning later.

I do not pesonally like Sto. Dgo. but I appreciate that some do. I prefer the north coast BUT recognise the South has something (I haven't found out what yet) that appeals to some people! As PJT suggests, find out WHAT, WHERE, HOW, WHEN & more importantly WHY you want to come to the DR & then ask your questions so that we can give you more serious & factual responses. You might like to "All together now .........
........ READ THE ARCHIVES".
There is a trmendous amount of information there about living down here that will help you decide whether you want to move down here & where you might want to settle.

Happy studying - Grahame.
PS. I moved here from England 10 years ago & JUST LOVE it. No way you would get me going back to Good Old Blighty!!

Last edited:

CHERYL.W

Mar 14, 2002
hillbilly

Sorry to correct you but Check (as you spelt it) is spelt cheque. You are also of a low opinion of dominicans that work in resorts and now baseball players too. Is there any group that you have a good opinion of?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Cheryl....

I don't think HB has a low opinion. It's just that he's honest....trying to save some people a little heart ache and pocket picking and has lived in the DR. for forty years so has seen,heard, and done a lot.
Check out HB's rules of engagement and you'll see that he gives some very good advice. These rules are the same rules that anyone should apply anywhere, even their home country before getting too involved with someone.
Unfortunately they apply moreso to vacation romances!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Err, I think in the US they spell it "check". But I'll check on that. Because I don't like to leave spelling issues unchecked. We could bet on it, and if I'm wrong I'll send you a cheque...

(Hey, you still have time to edit before HB sees this...)

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
My day to be critical

Cheryl

What is the definition of "spelt?" Is it something similar to spelled?

Janice

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
I checked, it's check for us.

Bonafide American with a BA in English here,

It's spelled CHECK in America -- that little piece of paper that you sign and give to people in lieu of cash.

I understand the confusion, I used to work with a Canadian and we were forever correcting his spelling. He used an excessive amount of the letter 'U'. : )

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Cheryl W,there is an "Honest " Nun in Bani!

C-15152-The Dominican "Culture" is not "Bad",just "different,and sure ain,t Kansas!I was brought up in Illinois in the late 40,s and 50,s.If I had a dollar for every time my mother told me not to "lie",always tell the truth no matter what,I,ll never punish you if you tell me the truth,One lie just leads to another,bigger lie,cheaters never win,and winners never cheat! Get the picture?The subject is a non-issue here!"Any job worth doing,is worth doing well",my Dad,said that to me about 10,000 times while I was growing up,and then proved it in his daily grind!Here hard work is for suckers! Do dominican men like red hair? They do when they are talking to a "Redhead"!They also like blondes,and brown haired girls as the situation dictates.I have learned how the game is played here.I can sit with a young lady over a beer and tell her in all sincerity how beautiful she is,how much I need to be with her,and that I have never met a girl like her before.She know it,s all bullshit,but part of the "mating ritual" here!How can you tell when your boyfriend is lying,whenever his lips are moving! Welcome to "Alice in Wonderland! Criss CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Last edited:

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Meredith said:
and an excessive use of "u" is acceptable in Canada too!!!!

I know, just kidding around. I'm glad my compa?eros at PwC are more forgiving of my Spanish than I am of some acceptable Canadian/British English. : )

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey! I said i was being the curmudgeon, but maybe you didn't understand that "larger" word?

The idea isn't that I dislike anyone or any person or group of persons. The idea is to remove the rose coloured (Just for you!) glasses, and to put things in perspective.

You see, folks, way, way back when, I used to write these love letters for Dominican ball players to their loves in the States. And any single ballplayer had between 6 and 10 ladies pining (languishing) for him to come back into their arms. It got tiresome after a while.

Since then, I see how silly some folks are, and I just bite my tongue and write out what I feel to be the core issues.

With very notable exceptions, such as the Alou family and the Javiers and Virgils and Winston Llenas, I really can't think of a Dominican ballplayer that would qualify as "a decent person" before they were signed, although I have heard very good things about Marichal when he was young. These were good people from the "family table" as the Dominican saying goes.

Let's looks at this: Hotel staff: Rentable penises??
Baseball players in the minors: Lonely, horny
guys looking to get some action.

To me and mine, that is fine. It is their lives, I don't have interfere in the least. BUT, I was asked!! So I spoke.. quite the curmudgeon, but sincere.

So, I don;t dislike anyone or any group. I don't think they will make the best mates, but if, after looking and living, if it is for you, you just know you have to go for it...

HB

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Spelt

Jane, I'll take your word for using "spelt" in place of spelled, but the only time I have ever seen spelt used in proper form was describing a particular bakery product in Denmark? Maybe it is used more in the "proper" English of England/Canada?

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
rrwells

thanks for the website, I have the most difficult time finding an on line dictionary that doesn't make you "jump through hoops."

Janice