Living on the North Coast...

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Who among you lives on the North coast? Anyone in Sousa? Can you describe what it is like there? How far is it from Puerto Plata?
(Driving, not as the crow flies!)

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
More questions...

For that matter, how long does it take to go to the South coast, Santo Domingo, for instance, from the North coast? When we visit, what should we be sure to check out there? Open to suggestions! Who's got the best map for me to learn the whereabouts of cities and such? Starting from scratch here...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in Sosua. We don't have a car and travel everywhere by public transportation. To get to Puerto Plata we take a public car or guagua; same when going the other direction to Cabarete. To get to Santiago or Santo Domingo, we go on one of Caribe Tours' comfortable, airconditioned buses. To get to Puerto Plata in this manner takes about 30 minutes. To get to Santiago takes about 2 hours, to Santo Domingo about 4 hours. Times could be reduced if you had own car because you wouldn't be makes the stops the public transporters do.

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Thanks, Delores! I bookmarked it and will read up...

Ken, if you don't mind me asking, what was the deciding factor
on living in Sousa over somewhere else? Work? Pleasure? Other?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Corona,

Lived in Samana for 12 years. All the time on our sailboat anchored in harbor. I worked for Hotel Grand Bahia and did a number of other things. When we decided we had enough of boat life, we sold some waterfront land we had purchased near Samana when we first arrived in 1986. No money to build a house on the land. For a variety of reasons, Samana has lagged behind the other tourist areas in development. So no suitable housing to purchase, doctors ok for emergencies and common ailments--but necessary to go to Santo Domingo or San Francisco de Macoris for everything else, grocery shopping, etc. opportunities marginal (although better now), and little social/cultural interaction with similar people, very little for my wife to do during the day.

We were familiar with Sosua and knew it offered more, so we decided to check it out. We found a condo we liked very much that was in our price range, and which is far better than anything we could have hoped for in US on our limited income.

We have found everything we were looking for here and, though we like Samana very much, are pleased we made the change. This is a good area for us.

Ken

Corona

Apr 18, 2002
Sousa has been the place we seem to be going back to in our search for the right spot...

Can you or anyone advise where to find a good map, or the best map, of the DR? I KNOW it's there in the haystack... just want to take the easy route! Have mercy! Help me out here!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Also Corona....

Once you get here any service station such as Texaco or Shell have good road maps.....if I was still there I'd pick you up one and snail mail it when I got back to Canada.
Maybe some kind soul on the forum who's going in the near future (are you reading this Jane J,???) will do so for you.