Driver w/ Car

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I may need a driver next week for a day - 1/2 day for my wife in SD..
A few trips here & there while I go to DGM

Any suggestions? Some English would be best

Thanks

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Clarify what you are asking? Are you driving to SD and then going to the DGM and want a separate car and driver for your wife to get errands done? When I initially read your post I was thinking that you needed a car and driver to take you to SD and drop you off at DGM and then take your wife to other places? Is it me? If it is my bad otherwise get an uber when you arrive at the DGM in SD.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OK, English is not my first language, but my GOOGLE translate has deciphered the OP's post.

William is looking for an English speaking hombre, own's a nice comfortable SUV and possesses a driver's license.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
OK, English is not my first language, but my GOOGLE translate has deciphered the OP's post.

William is looking for an English speaking hombre, own's a nice comfortable SUV and possesses a driver's license.

If you say so. Does he live is SD? Does he need a ride to SD from his house or is he driving himself to DGM? I wasn't trying to be cute or sarcastic? Many times when someone writes a post they know what they want but it just does not come across clearly? I was simply asking for clarification but as usual on the internet and this thread some people feel they have the right to be condescending. I guess I should be sorry I asked.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thank you for your patience...

Driver for wifely errands - a few hours while I renew residency

Just a shuttle to IKEA, maybe groceries to reduce the total time in SD

I'll work on my communication skills..........

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you pay for my POM Wonderful Blue, I will happily drive your esposa to the colmado in my jeepayta.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well.... given the paucity of responses....
I was the 'chofer'...

I have spoken before about the poor skills & habits of RD drivers..
But I must admit some are talented.

Not many have knowledge of road rules -
But they can bob & weave & wiggle with the best of them.
They fit into places they have no right to fit in... let alone be in.

Do a favor and allow a moto to pass in front of you for a turn and 6 cars follow like a chain of elephants (babies)

SD is the capital of the country and the capital for these conniving drivers....
Smooth Operators.... would be an understatement

just sit back & watch....
IMO - joining the fray would be risky......I'd lose for sure.

Glad to leave.....back to the safety of the campo.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not many have knowledge of road rules -
But they can bob & weave & wiggle with the best of them.
They fit into places they have no right to fit in... let alone be in.

Do a favor and allow a moto to pass in front of you for a turn and 6 cars follow like a chain of elephants (babies)

SD is the capital of the country and the capital for these conniving drivers....
Smooth Operators.... would be an understatement

just sit back & watch....
IMO - joining the fray would be risky......I'd lose for sure.

Glad to leave.....back to the safety of the campo.

You got that right WW. Many say how terrible the drivers are but I think the opposite. Sure they don't drive like in USA but their method certainly works in la capital.

No one seems to get upset (that often). You see twelve inches of space and you get there first you own it, plain and simple.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You got that right WW. Many say how terrible the drivers are but I think the opposite. Sure they don't drive like in USA but their method certainly works in la capital.

No one seems to get upset (that often). You see twelve inches of space and you get there first you own it, plain and simple.

It doesn't work unless you accept chaos as being a working standard. Two vehicles cannot occupy the same spot at the same time. A principle that is re-proven many many times everyday. The impatience, the jockeying for position, the creation of additional lanes of traffic where none should exist and the blatant noncompliance of stopping when one should stop, not turning when one shouldn't turn and ignoring every other practical means of traffic control does not make for a working system.

Drivers in this country adapt and adjust. The demolition derby condition of some vehicles here are a clear indication that the concept of impact free driving is not necessarily achievable in this country. A free-for-all is not a working system. There are ways to drive that take this reality into consideration but the death toll on the roads and I am sure the total yearly claims to insurance companies for repairs and liability claims reinforce that idea that the system doesn't work. Thankfully the DR is a small country. Can you imagine the carnage if the population was 10 X larger?

No thanks, I don't need to spend a small fortune to purchase, insure and maintain a safe reliable vehicle just for the convenience of having someone else in a franken-car attempt to copulate with me without buying me a drink first.

Saying the methodology of driving in this country "works" is like saying cancer works - which it does, if death, destruction, carnage, pain and suffering are the primary criteria.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Driving in this country is an acquired art. Driving in Santo Domingo is for the select few that have mastered that art.

You really need to know how to get around the city to make it work. Which shortcuts to take, what lane to be in at different times are all major talents.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Driving in this country is an acquired art. Driving in Santo Domingo is for the select few that have mastered that art.

You really need to know how to get around the city to make it work. Which shortcuts to take, what lane to be in at different times are all major talents.

exactly, it takes time to learn if one is willing. the more time one spends in SD the more one understands how organized chaos works.........

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
It doesn't work unless you accept chaos as being a working standard.

When I saw not one, but two SD city buses within five minutes deliberately going up on and driving on the sidewalk for more than 30 feet I knew there was something seriously wrong with this picture.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Self driving cars can't come to this country fast enough. Even when taking into consideration that occasionally these cars will do it wrong and someone will get injured or killed, the overall safety situation will still be much improved over what it is today with uneducated, illogical and unpredictable drivers.

Every time I am sure I have seen it all, I am shown a video that suggests my comprehension of the situation has barely scratched the surface of reality.