Adult Education

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
Does anyone know where a young adult in Santo Domingo could go to learn to read and write Spanish? He's 25 years old and illiterate. I'm talking about an adult school where his classmates would be adults and learning to read and write for the first time just like him.

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
I'm replying to my own message. I think it's important information that needs to be put out there. I found out through some other sources that some public schools in Santo Domingo have night classes for adults only - and they're at the most about 100 pesos a month. They have the same schedule as the regular classes in the day, so the next term would start in September. I Also found out that there are trade schools which don't charge much that not only teach a person a trade but teach them to read and write as well.

I have discovered some things about adult illiteracy that I have never considered. Illiteracy is a major source of shame and embarassment to many illiterate adults. Many continue to be illiterate simply because they are to ashamed and embarassed to let someone know. They trudge through life inventing very unique ways to hide their illiteracy. Only those that are very close to them are aware of their illiteracy.

Being literate is something I guess I have always taken for granted. I hope that my friend will have the ambition and the courage to face his illiteracy and attend schooling.

Sandra

Mar 15, 2002
Eddie,

Do you have any information about adult educations schools or programs in the Northcoast (i.e. puerto plata area)?

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
No, sorry. I don't have any info for the North Coast. All the info I have is for Santo Domingo.