View Poll Results: In 2017, did you or someone you know bought or registered a vehicle in the DR?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a 2017 or 2018 model.

    4 30.77%
  • Yes, a 2016 or older model.

    5 38.46%
  • No

    4 30.77%
  • No, but I rented a car/suv.

    0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: New Cars/SUVs Registered in the DR in 2017

  1. #1
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Cars/SUVs Registered in the DR in 2017

    The Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII), aka Dominican IRS, published its annual Parque Vehicular report. The following are the most registered vehicle brands in 2017, counting only new vehicles (2017, 2018 models).

    To have an idea of the Dominican new car business, lets take one small assumption and apply it to an actual reality. The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges. Assuming that the 428 new Lexus SUV's registered in the DR in 2017 are the cheapest SUVs (which is unrealistic, because the best selling Lexus SUV's in the DR are actually the most expensive models, often in excess of US$100,000 per vehicle), then the Lexus SUV business produced over US$15 million. Not bad.

    As per Dominican business custom, each brand has a single exclusive importer and distributor, and this is the case not just with vehicles but with brands of just about anything. Since I already used Lexus as an example, the exclusive importers/distributors is Grupo Najri, owned by the Dominican-Arab family of the same last name. They also own exclusive rights to Toyota and I think one other vehicle brand.

    And keep in mind, the example is only about new Lexus SUV's and below I only list cars and SUV's, not other vehicles also sold such as buses, trucks, etc; not mention that older models are not taken into consideration.

    Most Popular New Cars (2017/2018 models) in 2017
    Kia 1,430
    Hyundai 955
    Suzuki 451
    Mercedes-Benz 173
    Chevrolet 98
    Ford 93
    Toyota 91
    Peugeot 89
    Audi 76
    Mazda 66
    Volkswagen 49
    Porsche 48
    BMW 39
    Honda 34
    Renault 30
    Fiat 19
    Nissan 17
    Lexus 13
    Dodge 1
    Others* 121

    Most Popular New SUVs (2017/2018 models) in 2017
    Hyundai 2,981
    Toyota 2,329
    Kia 1,979
    Nissan 1,073
    Suzuki 910
    Ford 592
    Chevrolet 579
    Mazda 455
    Honda 438
    Lexus 428
    Mercedes-Benz 385
    Subaru 142
    Mitsubishi 118
    BMW 105
    Audi 98
    Porsche 77
    Dodge 14
    Volkswagen 10
    Acura 1
    Others* 622

    * Others include brands such as Isuzu, SsangYong, Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Citroen, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mini, Seat, Volvo, Cadillac, Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury; among other lesser known brands.

    Parque Vehicular 2018


    In December 2017, the annual Popular Autoferia event by Banco Popular sold roughly RD$5 billion (US$104 million +/-) worth of new vehicles in just 4 days.

    Last edited by NALs; 03-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    Moderator Polls Forum

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    The Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII), aka Dominican IRS, published its annual Parque Vehicular report. The following are the most registered vehicle brands in 2017, counting only new vehicles (2017, 2018 models).

    To have an idea of the Dominican new car business, lets take one small assumption and apply it to an actual reality. The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges. Assuming that the 428 new Lexus SUV's registered in the DR in 2017 are the cheapest SUVs (which is unrealistic, because the best selling Lexus SUV's in the DR are actually the most expensive models, often in excess of US$100,000 per vehicle), then the Lexus SUV business produced over US$15 million. Not bad.

    As per Dominican business custom, each brand has a single exclusive importer and distributor, and this is the case not just with vehicles but with brands of just about anything. Since I already used Lexus as an example, the exclusive importers/distributors is Grupo Najri, owned by the Dominican-Arab family of the same last name. They also own exclusive rights to Toyota and I think one other vehicle brand.

    And keep in mind, the example is only about new Lexus SUV's and below I only list cars and SUV's, not other vehicles also sold such as buses, trucks, etc; not mention that older models are not taken into consideration.

    Most Popular New Cars (2017/2018 models) in 2017
    Kia 1,430
    Hyundai 955
    Suzuki 451
    Mercedes-Benz 173
    Chevrolet 98
    Ford 93
    Toyota 91
    Peugeot 89
    Audi 76
    Mazda 66
    Volkswagen 49
    Porsche 48
    BMW 39
    Honda 34
    Renault 30
    Fiat 19
    Nissan 17
    Lexus 13
    Dodge 1
    Others* 121

    Most Popular New SUVs (2017/2018 models) in 2017
    Hyundai 2,981
    Toyota 2,329
    Kia 1,979
    Nissan 1,073
    Suzuki 910
    Ford 592
    Chevrolet 579
    Mazda 455
    Honda 438
    Lexus 428
    Mercedes-Benz 385
    Subaru 142
    Mitsubishi 118
    BMW 105
    Audi 98
    Porsche 77
    Dodge 14
    Volkswagen 10
    Acura 1
    Others* 622

    * Others include brands such as Isuzu, SsangYong, Alfa Romeo, Bentley, Citroen, Ferrari, Land Rover, Mini, Seat, Volvo, Cadillac, Jeep, Lincoln, Mercury; among other lesser known brands.

    Parque Vehicular 2018


    In December 2017, the annual Popular Autoferia event by Banco Popular sold roughly RD$5 billion (US$104 million +/-) worth of new vehicles in just 4 days.

    just being nitpickey, NALS, but the sale of an imported article does not produce anything, in economic parlance.

  3. #3
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    The cheapest Lexus SUV sells for about US$36,000 without adding the extra bells and whistles and before taxes and other charges.
    NALs,
    What Lexus SUV sells new here for US$36,000? A new Hyundai Tucson will run close to that here.

    Cheapest Lexus SUV I see here is a NX390 and runs about US$63,000

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    33,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    At a 5%-7% net net profit, the sales of new vehicles in the DR generates massive direct economic impact and good jobs.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    just being nitpickey, NALS, but the sale of an imported article does not produce anything, in economic parlance.
    I think you're wrong. I purchased a brand new vehicle last year and is because I am economically in way better shape than previous years (in 2012 I remember dreaming about being able to afford a 1998 Honda). I can say the same about the other people I personally know who purchased a brand new or close to brand new car; they're generally in better shape than previous years. Though they're always the ones who want to keep up with the Joneses, but regardless, in my opinion, apartment and vehicle sells have increased which means that there have been some economic growths.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know whether to cry or laugh at this OP but it sure it is a crime shame to the common Dominicans to even dare to talk about buying Lexus, seriously?

    What world are some of us living in, it certainly isn't DR related?

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurabo444 View Post
    I think you're wrong. I purchased a brand new vehicle last year and is because I am economically in way better shape than previous years (in 2012 I remember dreaming about being able to afford a 1998 Honda). I can say the same about the other people I personally know who purchased a brand new or close to brand new car; they're generally in better shape than previous years. Though they're always the ones who want to keep up with the Joneses, but regardless, in my opinion, apartment and vehicle sells have increased which means that there have been some economic growths.
    you may think i am wrong if you are like other posters who do not seem to understand the term ''production''.

    in economic parlance, production is the name that is applied to the process wherein the material factors of production, such as land, labor, and capital, are combined with the immaterial factors of production, such as technology and design, to realize a finished product intended for an end user. selling of said product is not production. you might want to apply some loose connectivity of the term to activity which takes place after the sale, but that is not production.

    let us say that you buy 100 cases of beer from a company, and you sell them at a party. you make a 20,000 peso profit, which you use to pay the rent for the spot, and to pay the help. what have you produced? you might have created temporary employment for some people, but that is not production.

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    just being nitpickey, NALS, but the sale of an imported article does not produce anything, in economic parlance.
    I would also disagree based on a few points. No vehicles are manufactured in the DR so they are all imports. Next, the people that import them, sell them and eventually fix them generate money back into this country so therefore they are in fact helping the local economy.

  9. Likes cobraboy, Gurabo444 liked this post
  10. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    I would also disagree based on a few points. No vehicles are manufactured in the DR so they are all imports. Next, the people that import them, sell them and eventually fix them generate money back into this country so therefore they are in fact helping the local economy.
    nobody said they are not helping the local economy. at the very least, people get jobs moving them from the wharves, dealer prepping them, and just generally do all the pre sale activities. guys make salesmen's commissions selling them. the owners of dealerships make money over and above what they pay for them. i am aware of all that.

    but none of that is considered to be production, in economic terms.

    this is a simple definition of production....

    Production is a process of combining various material inputs and immaterial inputs (plans, know-how) in order to make something for consumption (the output). It is the act of creating output, a good or service which has value and contributes to the utility of individuals.[1]

  11. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    EDIT**

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •