Baseball players.....

christina15152

Apr 25, 2002
christina15152.rocks.it
Well, I would just like to know why you have such a negitive perseption of the Dominican baseball players? I know many of them, one that I have known for about 4-5 years. And, like nine that I have known for a few weeks. I mean, I know that they like to mess around a little but I don't think that Jorge would do that (*Have like 10 girlfriends). I hope that he wouldn't. Well he lives on A M Perez in Santo Domingo... I don't know if that area is bad area or what. (*AKA... Is it Ghetto?!?!?)
I was watching ESPN and I got soo sad when this African American Baseball player said..." Latino ball players don't have much of a choice when it comes to a contract it's a take it or go back to poverty thing." Let's just say I was sad... and pissed off at the same time. Why do Latino Ball players get treated soo differently??!?! (*I am not latino... it just makes me upset)
Also, Does anyone know if they have a career for Baseball Public Relations in the Dominican Republic?? If so.. how much do you think that you would get paid with a Masters Degree. (LOL)
~Christina

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
#1) Experiences.
#2) They are uncultured, uneducated Dominican males with a heavy baggage of culturally imposed standards for treating any woman. An extremely limited number come from families with two parents and education beyond 4 years of Primary school.
#3) They are professional ballplayers and have an extremely limited view of the real world. They have to have this view because if they stop to smell the roses they get lost in the shuffle.
#4)Baseball is a way out of poverty for these guys. A normal night out for them is to get some beer and get laid. Doesn't really matter with whom.
#5) there are nearly 20 "Baseball Academies" here in the DR that try and teach some English, some manners and some common sense to these young prospects, while all the time testing them constantly to see if they are the next Sammy, Alex or Pedro.

As for the African American's comment, give me a break. He was trying to play down the fact that there are nearly as many latinos in the Bigs as there are Blacks...Afro American?? Yuck. Was he as dark as Sammy? Do you ever think Sammy considers himself an Afro-Dominican? What about "La Sombra" Morales of the Uruguayan National Football Team? Why do you imagine he is called the Shadow?? Does he think of himself as Afro Uruguayan? That term is one of the stupidest I have ever seen invented by racist groups. (Not that I like Negro pronounced in English, any better!!)

As far as a profession such as you have described, I guess you know that those jobs are all show and posturing. Domingo, Sammy's Do All and Be All, does not have an M.A., but he does have pull. That is a rat race job if there ever was one.

Maybe you can hitch onto a good ball player and ride him to the Bigs. Be a very rewarding job.

Of course if you were a good Caddy you could carry a bag for a pro golfer and associate with a better class of people. Tiger's caddy earned over 100K$ for the week of the Masters....

Sorry, but as an old friend one told me: "Injuries to ballplayers and dogs are the same: They yelp a lot and then life goes on..." Not nice but that is how most of the people in the business view ballplayers...as meat with a job to be done..

HB

Look, as far as I know there are no Morehouse graduates in the Bigs either....People use baseball to get out of the ghetto. And Yes that address is not the best..Ask Golo....

Last edited:

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Baseball Players

I have alot of friends who play minor and major leaugue baseball, also friends in the NFL and the NBA. I have not dated any of them or their friends sue to some advice I received when I was 18 (10 years ago) living in Santiago from a friend who plays professional baseball the advice was "Don't ever get involved with an athlete", most of the times all you will get is heartache. Many of my friends are still playing in their respective sport on and off the field.

I still have all my friends and see them when I am in a town thery are in or they are here. I still respect them but to see what their lives involve, moving around, women at every stop willing to throw themselves at them and then not knowing if they will be in a city for more that one season or less.

There are always those really special athletes who will be there and be faithful, but that number is small. As in any relationship you must be aware of the risks that are involved.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A.J. , Good Post, thanks.

If you know baseball, you know who Tony Pe?a is. His wife Amaris is a prime example of a domineering, overpowering wife.
She has to be to fend off the advances of all the women that literally throw themselves on her husband.

When he was in the Bigs, she travelled extensively with Tony, and literally ripped out a lot of hair. Word got around. Even during the Winter League season in the DR there were lots of candidates for her hair pulling....

I have to admire her, really, she has held the marriage together for over 20 years, built up some side businesses and handled Tony's money with savvy business sense... Not to say that Tony wouldn't "pick a flower every now and then...." in her words...

So be careful and be wise....

HB

Mar 21, 2002
Hey Hillbilly a.k.a. Gandalf or anyone who can aswer

How much does a minor league ball player in the USA earn?
What are prospects for the majors?

How much does a ballplayer in the DR leagues make?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not know. However, I remember back when I did talk a lot to the ballplayers and it is peanuts. they get a few bucks for per diem and a little salary. The money comes in the bigs.

In the Winter League, the DR pay scales is the cheapest inthe winter....And DR players get very little when compared to the US players brought in to strengthen each team...

Plus you have to remember that there are only a very few jobs in the big leagues. there are only 30 teams with 25 players each, which is only about 750 players. However, nearly 360 of these players are pitchers and 240 are everyday players. So the odds of making the real big money gets real high...

HB

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
I have been watching posts on DR1 for a while and thought I would chime in on a subject I know a bit about. I married a Dominican minor league player 19 years ago. My husband is from Palo Verde (Monte Cristy). When I married my husband I never knew what Dominican was like and to be honest I was quite shocked when I went to Palo Verde. I have seen many women marry Dominican baseball players and I know very few who stayed married once baseball life was over. Life is not easy being married with people you have things in commonwith imagine being married to someone that does not speak your language, and that you have tons of things that are just different.
Then when there is no more baseball -- what is your husband to do? Go deal drug in New York like many have done, get caught, get deported and now you are alone. Look and think long and hard before you think about going to Dominican Republic and think that you can live and make it there. Is just not that easy.
I have no complaints with my husband he has adjusted to life in American just fine, speaks english, has great job, we have two great kids but life has not always been so easy. Women look at baseball player and see $$$ -- face it 1 in a million make it.

HB is right you fight women off left and right. There is a "Baseball Annie" in every city waiting for your man. It is not a easy rode to go down.

Good Luck with what you decide. I have a question what part of the country are you in that you know so many minor league players?

J&R

christina15152

Apr 25, 2002
christina15152.rocks.it
I live in South-Western New York state.. (Jamestown to be exact)
And I have grown up with baseball players all of my life and there is one who I really like and I believe that he likes me too. It is just a matter of time before we are together. :) Baseball in my city is an everyday thing and many girls here have "flings" with the players that play here.. If a relationship comes between us then You can be damn sure I will go EVERYWHERE with him. I guess I will be "pulling my hair out" too. As of Tony Pena, I do know who he is... and I especially know his son... Tony Pena Jr. played here last season.. lol...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And Palo Verde is where Marichal came from!....Was your husband a pitcher??....How is life after baseball....?

Glad we agree a bit on this..

BTW, Palo Verde hasn't changed a bit in 30 years....

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Christina: Now there is one you can latch on to.. He is quite wealthy and plays ball to satisfy Dad and maybe see if he can make it, too. Not that he needs the money to live really well....And, he is educated more than most, knows how to behave, and doesn't need baseball for a Visa!

Of course you would have to get past Momma!!

LOL

HB

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
Christina I know your town very well -- as a matter of fact Tony Fernandez dated a girl from that city also when he played for the Bluejays many years ago, her name was Janet.

HB my husband was a catcher-- the same as Tony -- Tony and my husband grew up together and Tony's mother was my husbands first grade teacher. Juan Marichal was from Laguna Verde close to Palo Verde. If you take the rode from Santiago straight to Monte Cristy you pass the stadium that Juan Marichal built.

Life after baseball has been great. Not many people stayed married after baseball was over. But we have made it and are living in Naples Florida. We have two children girl 13 and boy 9.
My husband works for a plastics co and is in the chemical department and doing very well. We go home a few time a year we just got back from a 13 day stay where we took the kids from one end of the island to the other. We had a blast. They did not want to leave. We are planning to buy a condo/apartment to come for summers and holidays so that kids can learn spanish.

These girls who look at this whole baseball thing are not seeing the full picture. Many players try to get married when they know they are getting a release from their team so that they can stay in this country and get residency. I have watched and seen all kinds of thing happen. I have one friend left in Tampa who is still married to her husband and he is also Dominican.

This life you are seeking is not a easy one Christina. You will not be excepted in many areas in your life for being with this man. Do me a favor think long and hard -- take it from someone who knows. I have made it with my husband and belive me I thank god everyday but not one step of the way was it easy and life is still not easy as far as outsiders are concerned. Good luck to you and your decisions.

R&J

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Cool story, R&J! And good advice, I think.

I've been to Palo Verde before. My sister-in-law's S.O. is from there - they're Abreu. (Just thought I'd share that...)

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
Jane I just told my husband that name and he knew a family that lived a street over from his grandparents with that name. (small world)

R&J

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]R&JRivas[/B] said:
Juan Marichal was from Laguna Verde close to Palo Verde.
Thus the nickname "El Monstruo de la Laguna Verde" (The Green Lagoon Monster).
Dominican_Republic.gif