Buying Property

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
A couple of questions:

1) Do I need any residency or similar to buy and put the papers in my name?
2) How do I wire funds for the transfer? In the US, there's usually a closing company that both parties trust for such activities.

My GF is getting an account for dollars, but well, for various reasons, I suspect that wiring the money to her to purchase the property would be putting too much temptation in her hands.

Do I need to just fly there and deal with it?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No, you don't need residency. Just get a good lawyer you trust. I used Guzman when I bought. I just wired the money to them and they handled everything.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Fly here and do it. Open an account here in your name then transfer to it. The horror stories that have happened to trusting people here are endless. CYA.
A reputable lawyer should work but I would still trust myself more.

El Mayimbe

Jan 25, 2015
The other part of CYA. If your second guessing sending your gf too much money. Make sure it's only in your name. Don't get bs about you need a Dominican name on it to avoid paying "taxes" etc.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A couple of questions:

1) Do I need any residency or similar to buy and put the papers in my name?
2) How do I wire funds for the transfer? In the US, there's usually a closing company that both parties trust for such activities.

My GF is getting an account for dollars, but well, for various reasons, I suspect that wiring the money to her to purchase the property would be putting too much temptation in her hands.

Do I need to just fly there and deal with it?

Ok, so reading between the lines, you want to buy land or a house and transfer money from (US) bank to your girlfriends bank in the DR. I have no idea what your relationship is however once you transfer money to her acount it is technically hers. I would not recommend doing this. Additionally I would get a lawyer involved in any purchase of property in the DR. They will check the validity of the deed and be involved in the closing and transfer of funds. If you think you can tackle this on your own than I think you are heading for trouble. You don't technically need a cedula, officially DR residency to purchase property but to open a bank account in your own name you may. In todays immigration climate in the DR I would not buy any property unless I was seriouly considering applying for residency. Applying for residency starts in your home country through a Domincan Consulate. Good luck.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you use a DR bank, especially a new account or an account for a Dominican that doesn't have a history of large transactions you run the risk of the funds being held for some inconvenient period of time by that bank.

I don't have a lot of faith in the banking system, most lawyers with offices located above a colmado or any functionaries who may be assisting in title searches, checking deslindes and the filing of paperwork related to the purchase of real estate. If you don't have a clear title on the day you make your final payment, you have bought squat until you do.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Ok, so reading between the lines, you want to buy land or a house and transfer money from (US) bank to your girlfriends bank in the DR. I have no idea what your relationship is however once you transfer money to her acount it is technically hers.

I actually considered trying it to see what she'd do. It would certainly be cheaper than my last wife if the money disappeared. However, considering that her mother has cancer, her demonic family in Haiti, and a few other factors, it wouldn't be a very loving thing to put her in that situation. At best, it would put her in a very awkward situation with her family and it could create strife for years to come.

Thanks everyone. It seems that Guzman may be the best option if I move forward.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
I purchased a property a couple of years ago. I didn't have a bank account. The day of the closing, after signing the papers, I simply transferred the money from my US bank to the seller's bank account. It worked fine for both parties.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I actually considered trying it to see what she'd do. It would certainly be cheaper than my last wife if the money disappeared. However, considering that her mother has cancer, her demonic family in Haiti, and a few other factors, it wouldn't be a very loving thing to put her in that situation. At best, it would put her in a very awkward situation with her family and it could create strife for years to come.

This. I have been involved with Fabios office in the past and I was impressed by the way everything was handled.

I'd guess they'll also make sure what you are buying is legit. You get what you pay for.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
So, I'm curious of people's reaction to this:

I asked her for the lawyer's name and she blew up. I don't trust her. Blah, blah, blah... We've all been there.

"I'll never speak to you again....." Tic, tic,tic. I'm starting to think this is reasonable outcome, so I don't react and go back to work.

10 minutes go by and my phone starts ringing. I ignore it. The phone persists.

The gf tells me the lawyer has just called and there's no title to the property. So, it is not good to buy.

The sun comes out and dries up the Rain. She's all smiles and everything is fine. We e

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lots of housing choices available. The next perfect property is just around the corner. Good luck.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008

I asked her for the lawyer's name and she blew up. I don't trust her. Blah, blah, blah... We've all been there.

"I'll never speak to you again....." Tic, tic,tic. The sun comes out and dries up the Rain. She's all smiles and everything is fine. We e

I love the DR!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

"I'll never speak to you again....." Tic, tic,tic. I'm starting to think this is reasonable outcome, so I don't react and go back to work.

The gf tells me the lawyer has just called and there's no title to the property. So, it is not good to buy.

The sun comes out and dries up the Rain. She's all smiles and everything is fine. We e

With all due respect, if that happened to me, she's done. No ifs, ands, or buts. I've learned the hard way.

That is only going to get more toxic. Better now than later.

I'll go back to minding my own business now.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

If she is not 100% trustworthy ... then if she does disappear to Haiti with the funds; you are as much responsible as She for ''Tempting'' her.
Two other Friends of mine and myself put a significant amount of money in our Housekeepers account (nearly $100,000.oo usd)... a year later when we needed the funds for a project payment the funds were still there and readily disbursed. I was so impressed with her honesty ; a few years later I married her...All a good decision.
This should not be considered as the norm in RD; rather an exception. For us it was pocket change, for her an eternity of family financing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
agreed Russell

they aren't all bad....and not Cdns or Americans are good

We've all got our share of deadbeats & scoundrels

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

SO, this is the norm...The first 'gig' did not work... watch out for the next one...... they actually get better with practice.
A friend of mine was in love with a Dominicana; I suggested it was ''in lust'' ... and he really chastised me for my negative attitude ...... so life went on and he had to send a hugh amount to her becaause she had an operation. She even cut her skin and sewed in stitches to convince him to send her $100,000.oo Pesos.... he did and the 'Band played on' ... finally she virtually ran out of stories ... once he caught on he wanted his money back from her!!! What a joke..... finally he met and married a wonderful woman who works and contributes to the Family expenses.... Life goes on!
Be careful how much you tell her in terms of your personal wealth and do not quote it here on Dr1 ..... too many sidewinders out there to help you spend your money.
Have fun!
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
agreed Russell

they aren't all bad....and not Cdns or Americans are good

We've all got our share of deadbeats & scoundrels

That was my very first mistake here in RD ... because I was busy I allowed the American Developer and Canadian Sales guy to handle all the affairs for purchasing and upgrading of the properties. Once I caught on (between projects offshore) I was disappointed with their untrustworthy acumen.... Money was not the issue...'Honesty and integrity was the issue''... they proved to have neither. It was the Housekeeper who ended up looking after our affairs.... amazing huh!
Russell

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This thread reminds of the older guy I met once in Sosua. He had a Haitian girlfriend he bought a motorcycle for at some point in time. I know a few members here remember them.

When we met, he told her something about not trusting her to do something (I think it was paying some sort of bill) and she blew up in front of all of us. "I'm your wife, you have to trust me, I'm leaving you" and on and on. He thought the whole show was funny.

Anybody remember what happened to him?

I do. She killed him, then went back to Haiti.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

GET AN ATTORNEY!!! DO NOT INVOLVE YOU "girlfriend". Can't shout it any louder.