Buying a car in Dominican Republic

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Great experience in buying a car with the big help of Gordon.

Initially ,wanted a use car and Gordon selected a couple of them based on my budget.

Saw an add about the Susuki Vitara at Cabarete. So, I visited the Apolo Motors garage at Puerto Plata.

Really like the car right away:Compact SUV, spacious inside ,quite responsive ,not outrageously expensive for a new car in DR with a 3 years guarantee or 100.000 miles.
I gave it a try and.... bought it.Took a bit less than one hour to sign all the papers, get insurance, pay with a cheque from a US bank and .... drive back with the Susuki.

Was quite impressed by the professionalism of the manager and his team from Apolo Motors.
Gave extensive explanation about the car, the process to buy, options, type of insurance ,very patient with all our questions, ....

So, great experience in overall !

Thank you again to Gordon for helping in the process.

PS:Still very happy after driving the car for the past 3 days. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Initially ,wanted a use car and Gordon selected a couple of them based on my budget.

Saw an add about the Susuki Vitara at Cabarete. So, I visited the Apolo Motors garage at Puerto Plata.

Really like the car right away:Compact SUV, spacious inside ,quite responsive ,not outrageously expensive for a new car in DR with a 3 years guarantee or 100.000 miles.
I gave it a try and.... bought it.Took a bit less than one hour to sign all the papers, get insurance, pay with a cheque from a US bank and .... drive back with the Susuki.

Was quite impressed by the professionalism of the manager and his team from Apolo Motors.
Gave extensive explanation about the car, the process to buy, options, type of insurance ,very patient with all our questions, ....

enjoy it in good health..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have dealt with them.... nice people

If you live nearby, I bet they are a good option...
easy service, etc

I have had similar buying experiences... not hard at all
Importing (which I have done) is more complicated

and Second Gorgon as a source

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Great to hear a good buying experience with a dealer in the DR who actually give great customer service.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Great to hear a good buying experience with a dealer in the DR who actually give great customer service.

Apolo is top shelf, insofar as their dealing with the customer. they are as good as it gets. a true class act..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is great to know. Thanks.

it is owned by yet one more member of the Brugal family. the staff comprises the consummate professionals. things just flow..no hitches, no dicking around, just effortless professionalism.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Quick question.

Would you consider a Summit 2014 with 100,000 miles? Or don't bother? Thanks ! :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And how come that they all offer carfax nowadays without one has to ask? :)

actually, many of them do not. i have been to used car lots where the cars supposedly just landed in the country from the USA, and nobody can produce a carfax. then they tell you that the car has 50k miles, while the upholstery says 150k.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
actually, many of them do not. i have been to used car lots where the cars supposedly just landed in the country from the USA, and nobody can produce a carfax. then they tell you that the car has 50k miles, while the upholstery says 150k.

OK. This is still tentatively but I started looking to get a feel and do some test drives. Drove a Overland saturday, wow :)

So, in General is 100,000 miles a lot or not that much for a Summit? In the Internet forums you find opinions saying it is not too much for a Jeep....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where are Apollo Motors located?

they are on the main road in POP which links Santiago to POP to Sosua. if you started a Jumbo, and headed as though you were going to Santiago, it would be on the same side as Jumbo, about a quarter mile past the Torre Alta intersection.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
OK. This is still tentatively but I started looking to get a feel and do some test drives. Drove a Overland saturday, wow :)

So, in General is 100,000 miles a lot or not that much for a Summit? In the Internet forums you find opinions saying it is not too much for a Jeep....

what year is it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have an Overland Summit in Canada

The 'Summit ' part is more trim than function...sort of the same for Overland
More dressed up....options, etc

But mine has 55,000 miles and purrs still
I have had them to almost 70,000
Watch the transmission after 60,000... just flush