Sleep Number or other premium beds

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Any place in Sto Dgo or Santiago sell premium beds, like Sleep Number or similar?

Can't tell you that but a few years ago I bought a mattress made in the DR, very firm and great quality. It seemed better to me than Serta or Sealy. Just sayin'

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's been 15 years ago that I was in the market for a new bed and did in-home trials of four high-end mattresses: traditional spring (Serta), pocket spring (Simmons), memory foam (Tempurpedic) and the sleep number bed.

All were over $2000.

I spent two weeks on each.

At the end there was one clear winner by a mile: the pocket spring mattress with two layers of memory foam over pocket springs. To this day it offers the best sleep. They call it "plush". It's hard to describe what firm but soft feels like. The beauty of pocket springs is that someone can jump on one side of the bed and you can't feel it on the other side.

The memory foam was very warm even with a/c blasting. The traditional spring bed was kinda hard and did not conform to my body, like most hotel beds. I'd wake up sore and have to change positions. The sleep number was unimpressive, like a fancy air mattress.

I had a waterbed with baffles 40 years ago. Loved it, exceptt when the heater crapped out.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have Tempurpedic in the USA, and loved it so much that we bought a Tempurpedic in Santo Domingo, with the electronic base.  I don’t know model names, but the one in DR is much thicker. We bought it about 6 years ago and I don’t think the store is there any longer, I’ll let you know if I learn differently 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Off topic removed, infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ashley HomeStore is a Tempur-Pedic distributor (in the US) and they apparently have a store in Santiago. Might be worth a quick call www.ashley.do

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's been 15 years ago that I was in the market for a new bed and did in-home trials of four high-end mattresses: traditional spring (Serta), pocket spring (Simmons), memory foam (Tempurpedic) and the sleep number bed.

All were over $2000.

I spent two weeks on each.

At the end there was one clear winner by a mile: the pocket spring mattress with two layers of memory foam over pocket springs. To this day it offers the best sleep. They call it "plush". It's hard to describe what firm but soft feels like. The beauty of pocket springs is that someone can jump on one side of the bed and you can't feel it on the other side.

The memory foam was very warm even with a/c blasting. The traditional spring bed was kinda hard and did not conform to my body, like most hotel beds. I'd wake up sore and have to change positions. The sleep number was unimpressive, like a fancy air mattress.

I had a waterbed with baffles 40 years ago. Loved it, exceptt when the heater crapped out.

I had a water bad for years when I was younger and I had no problem with it but my live in girlfriend did not like and we we got the sleep number precursor. Agreed that the sleep number bed is exactly that, a glorified air mattress. I had one from that manufacturer here in the DR I brought down when I moved from the US before the re-branded it with the new controller. Wife did not like it but I was fine with it, so now we have a locally available pillow top. It is OK, but since I sleep on my side, the air mattress and water bed were better for me. Can't say what I would get now if I my opinion mattered.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I bought a Pillowtop recently and all the reviews by those who've slept or napped on it rave about it. It's 16in. in depth and both bottom and top are "pillow topped". Additionally, the person sleeping next to you, if there is one, can toss and turn without affecting your REM.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I bought a Pillowtop recently and all the reviews by those who've slept or napped on it rave about it. It's 16in. in depth and both bottom and top are "pillow topped". Additionally, the person sleeping next to you, if there is one, can toss and turn without affecting your REM.
That is a pocket spring mattress.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
That is a pocket spring mattress.

Pocket spring mattresses are very nice.

To the group, in the US, lots of smaller stores like to "haggle" on prices, much like at a car dealership. Is it the same way in DR, or is there just a fixed price?

What would you consider to be the difference in price range in the DR for, say, a mid-range plush (firm pillow top) mattress which would cost $1,000 if you bought it at Macy's?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Pocket spring mattresses are very nice.

To the group, in the US, lots of smaller stores like to "haggle" on prices, much like at a car dealership. Is it the same way in DR, or is there just a fixed price?

What would you consider to be the difference in price range in the DR for, say, a mid-range plush (firm pillow top) mattress which would cost $1,000 if you bought it at Macy's?
I have no idea.

I have seen Simmons stores in two locations in Santiago. Never checked on price. I brought my mattresses with my personal belongings. We had a bed from Price Smart before, but can't remember the price. It wasn't a lot, but neither was the bed.

carsya

Mar 23, 2018
Any place in Sto Dgo or Santiago sell premium beds, like Sleep Number or similar?

There is a Sleep Center in Plaza Texas (Ave. Bartolome Colon) in Santiago that sells imports - Sealy, Simmons. Pricesmart sells similar mattresses. Other large stores (Sirena, Plaza Lama, Centro Cuesta) also have both Dominican-made and imports. Prices vary of course, but consider about RD$20,000 to $25,000 for a good quality queen-size. Tip: only imports come with "longer" lengths (what would be considered the norm in the US) and even so, only Sleep Center and Pricesmart have those. (all this from a recent experience).

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have no idea.

I have seen Simmons stores in two locations in Santiago. Never checked on price. I brought my mattresses with my personal belongings. We had a bed from Price Smart before, but can't remember the price. It wasn't a lot, but neither was the bed.

I'm seriously considering a Simmons with the individual coils. My mattress is in fine condition, but I've had it for 20+ years. Time for a change.