Accident because of bad road conditions near Perla Marin/Crazy Ranch

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A couple of days ago we were headed to Sosua to have lunch at Shermans The Tree House on Sosua beach and check out the new section of beach.

On the way from Cabarete we passed a fresh accident which appeared to be a head on crash between a pickup truck and another vehicle just east of Crazy Ranch and Perla Marina. Because of the badly maintained roads (and bad drivers) people frequently ride with their wheels over the center line, sometimes half way into the on coming lane, and these accidents are likely as they avoid the pot holes. :pirate: Every time we go out, my wife has very choice words to say about the Cabarete and Sosua Sindicos (aka the mayors).

I was able to pass by the scene quickly and could not tell how serious any injuries were.

After lunch in the mid afternoon, there was a crew paving that very same section of the road where the accident was.

Coincidence? :surprised

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That's a really bad section of road there from just eat of Perla Marina to east of Coconut Palms with cars constantly weaving over the centerline to dodge potholes.

I came back that way to Cabarete from Sosua yesterday and they were patching another section in that same area. The entire stretch of road from Sosua to Cabarete is getting in pretty bad shape. It doesn't seem like there are any plans in the immediate future to repave it(?).

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
A couple of days ago we were headed to Sosua to have lunch at Shermans The Tree House on Sosua beach and check out the new section of beach.

On the way from Cabarete we passed a fresh accident which appeared to be a head on crash between a pickup truck and another vehicle just east of Crazy Ranch and Perla Marina. Because of the badly maintained roads (and bad drivers) people frequently ride with their wheels over the center line, sometimes half way into the on coming lane, and these accidents are likely as they avoid the pot holes. :pirate: Every time we go out, my wife has very choice words to say about the Cabarete and Sosua Sindicos (aka the mayors).

I was able to pass by the scene quickly and could not tell how serious any injuries were.

After lunch in the mid afternoon, there was a crew paving that very same section of the road where the accident was.

Did you not think to stop, and possibly assist any persons that might have been injured? Or at a minimum, phone the accident in to the local ambulance or fire brigade?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

I'll give that "repair" six months top.  What did they use to smooth the surface of the asphalt?  A corrugated steam roller?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Did you not think to stop, and possibly assist any persons that might have been injured? Or at a minimum, phone the accident in to the local ambulance or fire brigade?

You've obviously not lived here long enough.  If you get involved, you get lumbered.  A sad but true fact.

There would have been tons of Doms or whoever to stop and help. Do you live here?
I get out and help but it really is not wise for gringos to help much. Depends on then situation but if we are unsure we tell MOPC at least if no one is around but really people come out of no where when accidents happen, they have to get the pics after all.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

There were people already at the scene. That is what MOPC is here to do. MOPC actually is in front of my development and can react quite quickly to these events and are one of the best initiatives the DR government has ever undertaken.

There is nothing I could have added to the situation other than create another impediment to getting it cleaned up before it got even worse.

Keep in mind, there are many people who would advocate that even if you were personally in an accident , do not stop at the scene, but get out quickly and report it at a police station if possible.

Plus, if you read my other threads, I do not even have a cell phone so I could not even call 911 if I wanted to, but every Domincan there already probably had at least one cell phone.

But to answer your question directly, it is very inadvisable to stop at such a scene in the DR. You may be taking your own life in their hands. Do not stop. I repeat. Do not stop. There is no such thing as a Good Samaritan law here if something goes wrong while you are there.

What I try to do is point out how the local Sindicos fail to do what they should to help prevent such actions in the first place.

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Isn’t this a great country only place I know you can drive away from scene of accident :(   As long you drive to police station and report it..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Isn’t this a great country only place I know you can drive away from scene of accident :(   As long you drive to police station and report it..

Try stopping at the scene of one sometimes and be the only gringo there . You may not be around to let us know how that goes.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In response to both posting #'s 5 and 6, I was born in RD, and yes, currently reside within RD. While admittedly not the best course of action for one of you gringos to stop at the scene of a flat tire or fender bender, I would like to believe a head on collision (as described by the OP) with injuries is a different narrative. The OP's own words state, "I was able to pass by the scene quickly and could not tell how serious any injuries were." He then proceeded on with his journey to enjoy lunch. It is with this in mind that I posted my questions regarding the matter. The OP clarified the situation in his posting # 7 (which was appreciated), in stating that there were people already at the scene of the accident, as he drove on. Yes, the driving/traveling antics of most gringos, not all but most, are well known within the general populace of the RD.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Try stopping at the scene of one sometimes and be the only gringo there . You may not be around to let us know how that goes.

Why reside in a place where you need to live in fear all of the time? Not specifically directed towards you, but it seems to be a recurring theme amongst many gringos.

You certainly don’t need to do that either. Just drive away. If a moto hits me I’m outta there. I’ve been hit by them at least 10 times and sick of their bull****. If it was actually my fault I may care but otherwise I don’t give a crap anymore.  

And yes  gringos here who drive, drive me nuts, they  make things worse a lot of times imo. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why reside in a place where you need to live in fear all of the time? Not specifically directed towards you, but it seems to be a recurring theme amongst many gringos.

There are always trade offs everywhere you live. Not stopping at an accident is one trade off. You live and learn what works based upon your environment. You have to decide for yourself if the situation is acceptable.

See Harleysrock's response above. Harleysrock is one of the most caring and responsible people I have ever met. But you live and you learn.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the original point. Why do the mayors of Sosua and Cabarete not pave the main road properly?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Maybe because they still cannot agree where one municipality ends and the other one begins.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe because they still cannot agree where one municipality ends and the other one begins.

Why that should be important in paving the main road between the two when there is money to be skimmed.

I have always understood that Cabarete is a subset of Sosua. Regardless, get a proper job done.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject in advance, but who is responsible for the upkeep of the roads?

Back 'home' there are levels of government responsible for various roads.....town, to county, to state (can't think of any directly federal).   Does some form of the same apply here, or is it strictly at the town level (not province or national)?  

I ask because I have driven in several seemingly desolate areas that the roads are in fairly decent shape (and no, not the newer toll roads).  Being the discussion here is related to a 'national' type road, is it all still in local government reaponsibiity (i.e. Township/ city level)?

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
And to answer a previous question, I did read a week or two ago that the road 'repairs' we're already in the works.   Maybe they chose that area to start considering the accident.  Who knows...

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Two things that get Winde going. Edenorte and pot holes. I understand his frustration but have learned that no matter how much you talk about them.... you can not change them. These situations have been on going since before you and/or I came here and jumping up and down, pointing fingers, knowing the answers at least in our minds.... Nothing changes.

Either YOU/WE pay for and make the changes OR.... this is what we have. And it ain't gonna change.

At least they spray painted around the pot holes. Don't think it was to mark them to fill, just to mark them. Someone had some extra paint?

Been over the mountain road lately? All that construction and yet.......... pot holes that will eat your car. BUT new and improved speed bumps have added via yellow road bumps all over on main roads that no one can pass over doing more then.... 2 mph. Geeezzz.

Hope your brakes are in good working condition.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

I know it’s instant mob!! It’s not only the gringo , Dom on Dom gets violent pretty fast, been there watched ...you think a person would back down when gun gets drawn and crowd would disperse...not here! Look at cop on Sosua beach last yr,cop shoots criminal in leg , 1 second later  gets crowded in your face approach By bystanders ...25 yrs ago it wasn’t like this on the North Coast.. some call it progress