Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default list of public beaches closed this semana santa

every year the government publishes the list of public beaches and bathing areas that are closed for various reasons during semana santa. bathing and swimming in those places is prohibited because of contamination and other dangers.
    DL has published the list today:
    https://www.diariolibre.com/economia...anta-XY9463514

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So, these beaches are only contaminated during Semana Santa(?).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    ............ bathing and swimming in those places is prohibited because of contamination and other dangers.................
    Most likely the contaminated ones are closed year round and the additional closures are probably due to over crowding by the Semana Santa arrivals. just my guess........

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Most likely the contaminated ones are closed year round and the additional closures are probably due to over crowding by the Semana Santa arrivals. just my guess........
    I suspect those beaches are more fragile, and the gubmint wants to preserve them.

For instance, Los Patos is a rock beach. We see broken glass there all the time. Imagine all the drunks with beer bottles there on the SS weekend. It'd be dangerous afterwards.
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I suspect those beaches are more fragile, and the gubmint wants to preserve them.

For instance, Los Patos is a rock beach. We see broken glass there all the time. Imagine all the drunks with beer bottles there on the SS weekend. It'd be dangerous afterwards.
    sounds reasonable and I would also think some beaches can only flush out to sea a certain amount of human pee-pee and waste turds per day .......... joking, but serious

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    i think this must be a subject to change, no? like that recent situation with chemicals "accidentally" released to river haina which resulted in fishing ban in the area. then there are rains - in various points of the country every year - flushing dirt down into the rivers/sea/ocean. which coincides with "other dangers" like currents, water depth and so on, that also can fluctuate with the weather.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

in addition to the info above, MITUR announced they prohibit the use of horses, motorized vehicles, jet skis and PWCs on all beaches in the country:
    http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/03/2...-semana-santa/