Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Mail.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with mail from the US to Santo Domingo. Does anyone know how long it could likely take and if things can be expected to arrive? I have an Apartado Postal, I don't know if that improves the situation or not. Friends keep asking me for my address and I'd like to be able to give them an idea how long it will take their precious messages to get to me. (personally I think email is better all around..)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've mailed cards to the DR from Canada last July and to this date the person has never received them. I've sent a book registered mail with insurance back in June/2001 and had to put an investigation on it through the postal service and the person finally received the package in October.

Last year I sent another small package, and again registered mail with insurance on it, to the address of the resort, thinking this would be better/faster. I have put three investigations on it and two weeks ago, I received a refund from Canada Post with the reason "could not trace package". The mail goes to Santo Domingo for distribution, sometimes delayed in customs, but this has got to be ridiculous. We must be thankful for our postal service.

The mail in the DR is certainly not reliable, if you done any reading on the DR, the one thing they mentioned is the not so great postal service. If you sent anything through the mail, make sure it's insured so you can get your money back. Courier services guaranteed delivery, but the cost is expensive.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I won't hold my breath..

sounds like email IS the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Dominican Mail System

Time varies with the amount of slime available to the snails that carry the letters.

P.O. Boxes help a little. Your best bet for important stuff is Business Mail. It is a private service and quite expensive but also quite safe.

otherwise, tell the folks that they can use USPS Priority Mails to here, also via EPS...See the special section at the Post Office in Santo Domingo

Regular mail is uncertain..

HB

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
    Post Thanks / Like

From Canada to the D.R, usually 1 month or so, depending on the area. From the D.R. to Canada, anywhere from 2 months on! A lot of the time the mail never reaches. You have to take your chances. I have had good luck!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the previous posts were about mail from U.S. & Canada to the D.R., but I thought I would share this news.

We just received our Christmas Presents from the U.K. two days ago!!!!!

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lucky You!!!

At least you received them!
    I've yet to receive ANYTHING sent to me to the DR. from Canada/Italy/Argentina unless it was sent by courier or EPS and even then some of it has "disappeared" into the black hole of customs!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face I've been meaning to ask about this

I haven't seen a single piece of (non-dr-related bills) mail that's been sent to me.

I was wondering about a PO box and if that would help, HB you say it helps a little???

Is it expensive? Is it worth the expense?

If I see the mailman wearing any of my shirts that were sent as gifts, would it be improper to ask for it back?

I'd heard that most Dominicans would give you the shirt off their back, little did I realize it would be mine to begin with.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Get an EPS box.......

They are a little expensive but everyone I know that has one says they get all their mail with no problem!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Wow!!

I never realized the mail service in the DR was so bad!

I just sent a friend of mine some letters and pictures via US Global Express Mail. Can I pretty much assume he's not going to receive them any time soon? They were sent to a business address, but I'm figuring from the posts that are here that it isn't going to make much of a difference. I'll be returning to the DR in June. Maybe he'll receive them by then.

Wishful thinking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast