Diphtheria?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I heard from my inlaws there have been cases of diphtheria in Santo Domingo? Anyone heard about that? 

May 5, 2007
Here's an article about flu and diphtheria cases being reported. https://www.diariolibre.com/m/notic...onen-en-vilo-a-republica-dominicana-YK9480441

Saw on social media yesterday that doctors are recommending both children and adults get vaccinated.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I hope not, Diptheria is not only deadly but highly contagious I recall an incident in the Philippines when on leave, something happened that spurred an alarm about an outbreak and Shore Patrol started rounding up every US Serviceman/woman on leave and shuttling them back to the ship post haste, no excuses no exceptions to rank etc First time I ever experienced anything like that, many of us thought hostilities had broken out and we were sailing the "round up" was so sudden and serious

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Diphtheria was introduced by illegal Haitians. The first case ever of Diphtheria in the DR.

The kid died a few days ago. Last Wednesday he moved from Haiti to Los Alcarrizos and died a couple of days later.

Supposedly, Dominican immigration laws prohibits anyone with a disease from entering the DR, but that's in the case of legal migration.

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

[video=youtube;QSt6ThAw74s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSt6ThAw74s[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Diphtheria was introduced by illegal Haitians. The first case ever of Diphtheria in the DR.

The kid died a few days ago. Last Wednesday he moved from Haiti to Los Alcarrizos and died a couple of days later.

Supposedly, Dominican immigration laws prohibits anyone with a disease from entering the DR, but that's in the case of legal migration.

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

NALS....diptheria has been in the DR for years. it was not introduced some weeks ago by a border jumper..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Vaccine is very effective. Adults need a booster every 10 years. I'm betting many foreigners haven't had one since they were kids.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

First case ever? The book of the dead at cityhall in Jarabacoa has many people dying from diphtheria in the 1950s and 60s.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...the vaccine is in short supply...adults need a booster shot....children and old people are first on the list...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It most certainly can be deadly, if not treated especially in young and elderly and it is not a pleasant death.
It is a rare disease but likely it could have come from Venezuela or Haiti, or somewhere in Asia, locations which have reported cases the past few years.
The vaccination is a bit painful and one that can cause the bullseye scar, similar to the smallpox shot, which you may see on older people who used to get vaccinated for it.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Over Christmas I was shocked at how several people coughing and hacking and complaining of gripe still gave me a kiss on the cheek...as if they have no understanding of germs.

Yesterday I heard several of those same family making appointments for a vaccine and checking their vaccination records.

So lesson learned, if you don't want to seem rude by avoiding a kiss or hug while you or they have gripe, say you have diphtheria instead [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

First case ever? The book of the dead at cityhall in Jarabacoa has many people dying from diphtheria in the 1950s and 60s.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Do you have any evidence of this?

an excerpt form an article on diptheria in the DR

Diphtheria has been largely controlled
in LAC following widespread vaccination
with diphtheria toxoid-containing
vaccines as part of the Expanded Program
on Immunization (EPI) launched in the late
1970s (3, 10, 11). In 2000–2003, approximately
100 cases were reported in LAC
each year, with the Dominican Republic reporting
the highest count: an average of 43
cases annually during this period (10, 12). In
2004–2005, a large diphtheria outbreak occurred
in the Dominican Republic and Haiti
(453 cases) becoming the largest diphtheria
outbreak in LAC in the 21st century (13, 14).
Following that outbreak, diphtheria cases
and deaths in Haiti have continued to
occur, but in the Dominican Republic, they
have dropped progressively (8, 12).

complete pdf file

https://www.scielosp.org/article/ss...sm_path=/media/assets/rpsp/v38n4/v38n4a05.pdf

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Vaccine is very effective. Adults need a booster every 10 years. I'm betting many foreigners haven't had one since they were kids.
Diphtheria vaccine is also mandatory for all new borns in the DR and has been for decades, but I doubt most people get their boosters. That's where the real risk lies with this Diphtheria imported from Haiti.

So far uncontrolled immigration from Haiti has resulted in spikes in Malaria, not to mention the appearance of Malaria in places that were never affected such as Bávaro-Punta Cana; Cholera, a few years ago there was a Polio scare as it reappeared (the only country in the this hemisphere that erradicated Polio only to see it come back), now Diphtheria.

I'm sure I forgot a handful of other diseases that have long ago been erradicated in the DR, not in Haiti, but have reappeared in the DR precisely when the country is suffering a large uncontrolled influx of Haitians.

Many people do like to pretend that the uncontrolled influx of Haitians have nothing to do with the reappearances of diseases that were long ago erradicated in the DR, but not in Haiti. They also don't like it when its noted that the DR is usually the only country in this hemisphere to see erradicated diseases reappearing, the same country that shares an uncontrolled border with the worst country in controlling all types of diseases, Haiti.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This reminds me of what roughly three months ago this Chilean doctor (Dra. Cordero) said that a few months ago she was crucified in the Chilean media for saying that the Haitians migrating there were importing many diseases. She mentioned that because another doctor that deals with newly arrived immigrants mentioned that the Haitians he attended often had diseases, and two of his nurses got infected with Tuberculosis due to contact with Haitians that were infected with the diesease, that the authorities should take into consideration and since she's often in the media, she should mention that so the government would take this into account.

In this interview of three months ago she says that the Chilean government finally said that they will start to give vaccines to immigrants, after the Chilean government publicly accepted that a new outburst of Tuberculosis in neighborhoods where Haitians settle in northern Santiago de Chile was introduced by the Haitians. She basically says that after the media crucified her for suggesting the Chilean government should put attention to the health condition of the immigrants, now that the Chilean government has the evidence that the Haitian influx introduced Tuberculosis in Chile, their action to vaccinate immigrants is basically validating what she said months ago.

She also mentions that when her father migrated from Spain in the first half of the 20th century, when he arrived at the port he was asked to spit in a round glass plate. Then he had to wait a few days until the results came back. If he was infected with any disease, he would had been deported back to Spain, as happened to thousands of people. She mentions this to say that if was the case back then, why can't it be applied today?

[video=youtube;FSdf7afCU1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSdf7afCU1I[/video]

Last edited:

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Having spent a short time in Haiti and witnessing thousands of Haitians lined up at the PAP airport for a chance to go to Chile... amid filth and squalor ; I cannot deny that disease spreads from such circumstances. After all the cholera outbreak in Haiti is alleged to be introduced by the UN Forces.
SO yes , some immigrants from Haiti are bringing disease with them. Some are sick and others simply carriers.
On the other hand not all immigrants are disease carriers.... so let us not blame an entire race of people.

This is an issue for RD Immigration and Health Officials. If you are rounding them up ; test them for disease.
If they are legal, check them for disease.
Lets hope the tourist industry is not affected; or the entire economy will have a serious blow.
The young and elderly are most vulnerable.. that includes Tourists, for sure.

My Family in Luperon tells me that the Government is already reacting with Booster shots and ensuring all new births are inoculated.
This is not a time to cast blame but to reach out and help anyone you may have heard has Diphtheria..
I suppose that it is easier to criticize than become involved.
This is not only a third world problem... nor a Dominican Problem... there are all these diseases in Northern Canada everyday.
Unsanitary conditions, poor water quality, low nutrition levels , dysfunctional immune systems etc etc.
All goes back to the NGO not spending the money where it is needed most.
The old 'Domino' effect. ''Follow the lack of money trail''.

Greed, stupidity and total Morons are what cause these outbreaks. The Haitians are the vehicle for disease mainly due to deplorable conditions in Haiti.
If I was a Haitian I would head for the Frontier as well.

Not defending Haitians... just disgusted in the way things have turned out.
Russell

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Whats the dislike for William? All deaths in Jarabacoa used to be recorded in a book at City Hall. Name date age and cause of death.

sorry Bob
when I scroll on the tablet I use the left side and at times , I inadvertently hit a button

For the record - I NEVER give either a LIKE or DISLIKE...
I never do either..So if you see it... it was accidental

Glad you pointed it out..... no slight from me was intended !!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
sorry Bob
when I scroll on the tablet I use the left side and at times , I inadvertently hit a button

For the record - I NEVER give either a LIKE or DISLIKE...
I never do either..So if you see it... it was accidental

Glad you pointed it out..... no slight from me was intended !!

hey, i stated that diptheria has been around in the DR for some time now, and is not something that just popped up in the last few weeks.

i was challenged by a poster to provide proof

i posted a document that pointed to outbreaks in 2001, or thereabouts.

the poster responded by giving me a dislike.

go figure.