Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diphtheria?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Diphtheria?

I heard from my inlaws there have been cases of diphtheria in Santo Domingo? Anyone heard about that? 

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    I heard from my inlaws there have been cases of diphtheria in Santo Domingo? Anyone heard about that? 
    Here's an article about flu and diphtheria cases being reported. https://www.diariolibre.com/m/notici...cana-YK9480441

Saw on social media yesterday that doctors are recommending both children and adults get vaccinated.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Here's an article about flu and diphtheria cases being reported. https://www.diariolibre.com/m/notici...cana-YK9480441

Saw on social media yesterday that doctors are recommending both children and adults get vaccinated.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    I hope not, Diptheria is not only deadly but highly contagious I recall an incident in the Philippines when on leave, something happened that spurred an alarm about an outbreak and Shore Patrol started rounding up every US Serviceman/woman on leave and shuttling them back to the ship post haste, no excuses no exceptions to rank etc First time I ever experienced anything like that, many of us thought hostilities had broken out and we were sailing the "round up" was so sudden and serious

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

reported in DR1 news this week.... more flu & now diptheria

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Diphtheria was introduced by illegal Haitians. The first case ever of Diphtheria in the DR.

The kid died a few days ago. Last Wednesday he moved from Haiti to Los Alcarrizos and died a couple of days later.

Supposedly, Dominican immigration laws prohibits anyone with a disease from entering the DR, but that's in the case of legal migration.

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

Polls Forum Moderator

6. Likes Russell, Caonabo liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Diphtheria was introduced by illegal Haitians. The first case ever of Diphtheria in the DR.

The kid died a few days ago. Last Wednesday he moved from Haiti to Los Alcarrizos and died a couple of days later.

Supposedly, Dominican immigration laws prohibits anyone with a disease from entering the DR, but that's in the case of legal migration.

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

NALS....diptheria has been in the DR for years. it was not introduced some weeks ago by a border jumper..

8. Likes curlando, Russell liked this post
    Dislikes jenmar237 disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Vaccine is very effective. Adults need a booster every 10 years. I'm betting many foreigners haven't had one since they were kids.

10. Likes thompstr, Russell liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post

Symptoms of Diphtheria:

First case ever? The book of the dead at cityhall in Jarabacoa has many people dying from diphtheria in the 1950s and 60s.

12. Likes Auryn, Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

...the vaccine is in short supply...adults need a booster shot....children and old people are first on the list...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It most certainly can be deadly, if not treated especially in young and elderly and it is not a pleasant death.
    It is a rare disease but likely it could have come from Venezuela or Haiti, or somewhere in Asia, locations which have reported cases the past few years.
    The vaccination is a bit painful and one that can cause the bullseye scar, similar to the smallpox shot, which you may see on older people who used to get vaccinated for it.

15. Likes Auryn, Russell liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast