Bartolo Colon..a Real Standup Guy

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this artice states that Colon had a shoulder injury that just about ended his career in 2009. he did not play that year, nor the following year. two Dominican surgeons performed stem cell transplants on the damaged area, which allowed him to resume his career, and earn 45 million dollars.

now they are suing him, because he stiffed them. nice guy, no?

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2018/03/bartolo-colon-did-not-pay-medical-bill/

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Isn't this the same guy who supposedly had a child (outside his marriage) while married (not that it is something unusual amongst baseball players). Seems like a good guy but maybe not the smartest.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only thing I do know about Colon is the baseball stadium he built in his home town of Altimira at a cost of millions of dollars of his own money for the kids. You can see it on the way from Sosua to Puerto Plata on your right when you hit Altimira. Lights, and looks like a big league stadium.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
this artice states that Colon had a shoulder injury that just about ended his career in 2009. he did not play that year, nor the following year. two Dominican surgeons performed stem cell transplants on the damaged area, which allowed him to resume his career, and earn 45 million dollars.

http://www.nicepeoplenetworking.com/2018/03/bartolo-colon-did-not-pay-medical-bill/

Have you heard the expression Toma chocolate y paga lo que debes? That is the first thing I thought of when I read the article. The surgery indeed revived his career therefore he should pay up. Four million is pocket change for the majority of baseball players. The irony now is Bartolo is without work since he did not make the starting rotation for the Rangers after spring training but will stay with the organization via a minor league deal. His most recent pitching success was with the Mets. I thought he pitched well from 2014-2016. He pitched poorly last year and was on two teams. I think he is just about done now. 

Bartolo pay up!

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Have you heard the expression Toma chocolate y paga lo que debes? That is the first thing I thought of when I read the article. The surgery indeed revived his career therefore he should pay up. Four million is pocket change for the majority of baseball players. The irony now is Bartolo is without work since he did not make the starting rotation for the Rangers after spring training but will stay with the organization via a minor league deal. His most recent pitching success was with the Mets. I thought he pitched well from 2014-2016. He pitched poorly last year and was on two teams. I think he is just about done now. 

Bartolo pay up!

-MP.

my point is that he OWES his ability to have made the 45 mil to the doctors. that alone should inspire him to do the right thing, and pay up. it is that simple.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The only thing I do know about Colon is the baseball stadium he built in his home town of Altimira at a cost of millions of dollars of his own money for the kids. You can see it on the way from Sosua to Puerto Plata on your right when you hit Altimira. Lights, and looks like a big league stadium.

SKY, i am not so sure he built it ''for the kids''.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
my point is that he OWES his ability to have made the 45 mil to the doctors. that alone should inspire him to do the right thing, and pay up. it is that simple.

We are saying the same thing when all is said and done which is Pay up.

Anyone know why he was broke at the time of the surgery? These baseball players make so much money. 

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Anyone know why he was broke at the time of the surgery? These baseball players make so much money. 

-MP.

yes, Marianopolita. at the very least, try to help set a good example for the upcoming generation. Lord know there are enough people complaining about Dominicans welshing on deals, only to have a icon of this stature doing the same thing...maybe worse.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He did not build it to use himself.

i realize that, SKY, but there is a lucrative baseball league in the DR. maybe he had dreams. after all, that is not exactly a sophisticated sandlot..it is the real deal..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i realize that, SKY, but there is a lucrative baseball league in the DR. maybe he had dreams. after all, that is not exactly a sophisticated sandlot..it is the real deal..

If you knew the first thing about the Winter League baseball in the DR and the tiny town of Altimira you would never post this nonsense. Not to mention that Altimira is a short distance from Santiago, which has one of the best stadiums in the DR.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011

-MP.

Many do not know how to invest their money or the people they have doing it for them do not know what they are doing. They make a lot but spend a lot. Playing in the US will eat up a lot of your money with taxes. Taking care of extended family, friends, etc...will also take your cash. It is amazing how many players do not plan for the future.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Many do not know how to invest their money or the people they have doing it for them do not know what they are doing. They make a lot but spend a lot. Playing in the US will eat up a lot of your money with taxes. Taking care of extended family, friends, etc...will also take your cash. It is amazing how many players do not plan for the future.

Yes, what you say is true and the taxes are hefty. However, what baseball players and others professional atheletes pocket over their career the average hard working person will not see that kind of cash in their lifetime. Therefore, it leaves people like me wondering. You made 45 million since the surgery and you can’t pay the doctors that enabled you to earn that said amount.

This scenario is a question of ethics. Time to pay up.

-MP.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Exactly..that is why it is so hard to understand why some of these athletes do not plan and save. Not saying he does not have the money to pay what he owes though. And yes he needs to pay what he agreed to.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is the translation from the original story.

He explained that in that situation the pitcher himself proposed a payment agreement, so that when he returned to get a contract in Major League Baseball he would have one percent of that contract for who or who participated in the surgical intervention.

However, after achieving the rehabilitation of his arm to launch and get contracts with teams of large for more than 45 million dollars, the player has refused to comply with the agreed agreement, according to the explanation of the doctors Leonel Liriano and Sergio Guzmán The information was channeled through the Estrella & Tupete Lawyers office.

How could he owe 4 million when they say it was 1%, which would be 450,000?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is the translation from the original story.

He explained that in that situation the pitcher himself proposed a payment agreement, so that when he returned to get a contract in Major League Baseball he would have one percent of that contract for who or who participated in the surgical intervention.

However, after achieving the rehabilitation of his arm to launch and get contracts with teams of large for more than 45 million dollars, the player has refused to comply with the agreed agreement, according to the explanation of the doctors Leonel Liriano and Sergio Guzmán The information was channeled through the Estrella & Tupete Lawyers office.

How could he owe 4 million when they say it was 1%, which would be 450,000?
The amount doesn't matter. Honoring a deal does.

Do they have a signed contract? Are verbal agreements binding in the DR?

On a side note, this is the first I've heard of surgery done on contingency.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

Is this the guy who has 2 wives and families, one in DR and one in USA? lol